Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting two computers to a modem simultaneously

Connecting two computers to a modem simultaneously

sherkhanthegreat@gmail.com

Hi,
I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
Thanks and Regards,
Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

Gordon

> Hi,
> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
> as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
> ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?

No you can't.

> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
> want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
> computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.

Unfortunately you will have to if you want to connect more than one machine
at once. Unless you use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which means that
the host machine must be on for the other to connect....with a router that
doesn't happen....

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
> as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
> ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same
> time? If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I
> do not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to
> connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
> advise.

You want a router. They are not expensive. Use ethernet if you can; more
reliable than USB.

What real reason could you cite for *not* wanting to use one? Further,
it will act as a security device to help protect your computers from
probing from the outside. (Yes, you will need to take those steps, too.)

I have a US$20 router sitting here with three computers connected to my
cable modem round the clock.

--
-bts

Whiskers

On 2006-09-28, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
> as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
> ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
> want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
> computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

Does the 'modem' have any instructions or documentation with it (possibly
on a CD) that could answer your question? If Telewest supplied it then
they might just possibly know what it can and can't do. I doubt if both
the 'Ethernet' and 'USB' connections can be used at the same time, though.
('Ethernet' is more suitable for making any sort of internet or network
connection).

Getting a router to work is not usually difficult, and makes life a lot
easier. A good router will also provide a degree of protection to your
computers from some of the nasties prowling the internet - something well
worth having when your internet connection is fast and 'always on' or
running for long periods.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

EricP

On 28 Sep 2006 05:45:44 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
>as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
>ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
>If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
>want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
>computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
>Thanks and Regards,
>Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

Only one machine can be used at any one time.

You must get a router for both to be used.

Oldus Fartus

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
> as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
> ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
> If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
> want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
> computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

OK, I will be the odd one out.

With *some* of the modems you can use both connections simultaneously.
Setup the USB connection first using the software provided, and when
that is working OK, plug in the ethernet connection to the other
computer. It doesn't always work, but often enough to be worth trying.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

The Old Sourdough

EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On 28 Sep 2006 05:45:44 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
>>as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
>>ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
>>If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
>>want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
>>computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
>>Thanks and Regards,
>>Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

> Only one machine can be used at any one time.
>
> You must get a router for both to be used.

Never heard of Internet Connection Sharing, eh?

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

Yddap

In news:451bdd05$0$15625$(E-Mail Removed),
Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> opined loudly:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as
>> well as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I
>> use both ports to connect two different computers to internet at the
>> same time? If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline
>> is, I do not want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need
>> to connect both computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please
>> advise. Thanks and Regards,
>> Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)
>>

> OK, I will be the odd one out.
>
> With *some* of the modems you can use both connections simultaneously.
> Setup the USB connection first using the software provided, and when
> that is working OK, plug in the ethernet connection to the other
> computer. It doesn't always work, but often enough to be worth
> trying.

Will not work on Telewst / Blueyonder only one at a time

Aside " wonder if Sherkahn is a troll ?"
--

Yddap

EricP

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:39:30 -0500, The Old Sourdough
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> On 28 Sep 2006 05:45:44 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I am having Telewest broadband cable modem, which has both USB as well
>>>as Ethernet connectivity, both working perfectly well. Can I use both
>>>ports to connect two different computers to internet at the same time?
>>>If yes, what kind of settings do I need to do. Bottomline is, I do not
>>>want to go through routers and networks stuff, and need to connect both
>>>computers to web, sometimes simultaneously. Please advise.
>>>Thanks and Regards,
>>>Sherkhanthegreat(shammi777)

>> Only one machine can be used at any one time.
>>
>> You must get a router for both to be used.
>>

>Never heard of Internet Connection Sharing, eh?

She didn't want ICS. She wanted to use the two connections on the CM.

The Old Sourdough

EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:39:30 -0500, The Old Sourdough
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>EricP grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

snip

>>> Only one machine can be used at any one time.
>>>
>>> You must get a router for both to be used.
>>>

>>Never heard of Internet Connection Sharing, eh?

> She didn't want ICS. She wanted to use the two connections on the CM.

She also said she didn't want to use a router. You said she must. Not true.

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
We need an energy bill that encourages consumption. - George W. Bush

Connecting two computers to the same modem ComputerNoob Wireless Networking 0 02-20-2010 06:00 AM
Connecting a TV and a monitor to a computer simultaneously Dima DVD Video 2 01-25-2007 12:29 PM
Question about connecting to 2 networks simultaneously Charlie Hoffpauir Wireless Networking 4 12-04-2006 01:01 PM
connecting two computers Alex Java 7 06-25-2004 02:02 PM
Modem Over IP: Problems in connecting two modems using a Modem Passthru type of connection Manish Bhasin VOIP 1 06-10-2004 06:33 PM

Advertisments