Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dual Cores

Dual Cores

Frosty

I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
called a Dual Core Processor.
Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
it?

--

Thnx

Frosty

Whiskers

On 2006-09-26, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
> using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
> called a Dual Core Processor.
> Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
> it?

You get a CPU that can be doing two things at once - if your operating
system and software know how to exploit the facility. It can speed up
some things such as image or audio processing, but not 'twice as fast'. A
'hyperthreading' CPU is one with a single core that can pretend to be a
dual core but isn't quite as quick.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Old Gringo

Loads of info here : http://tinyurl.com/pgbwo

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Kluck

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:37:10 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2006-09-26, Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
>> using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
>> called a Dual Core Processor.
>> Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
>> it?

> You get a CPU that can be doing two things at once - if your operating
> system and software know how to exploit the facility. It can speed up
> some things such as image or audio processing, but not 'twice as fast'. A
> 'hyperthreading' CPU is one with a single core that can pretend to be a
> dual core but isn't quite as quick.

A dual core cpu is two sperate cpu's on one die.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
>using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
>called a Dual Core Processor.
>Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
>it?

Around 3Ghz is about as fast as a cpu can go due to heat issues,
multiple cores (cpu's) are another approach to faster processing
speeds.

(Intel to have 80 core processor in 5 years)
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar.../1937237.shtml

--
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf

Frosty

I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Tue, 26 Sep
2006 13:48:38 GMT, and who should I see posting but Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)>! I could scarely believe Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> would remark:

>Without Any Hesitation, Frosty Wrote The Following:
>> I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
>> using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
>> called a Dual Core Processor.
>> Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
>> it?
>>

>Loads of info here : http://tinyurl.com/pgbwo

Cool beanz1

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Frosty mused:

| I'm thinking about upgrading my PC (well, actually building a new PC
| using my present HD's) and have heard talk of some newfangled device
| called a Dual Core Processor.
| Can anyone tell me what that means and what's so all fired great about
| it?

The long in the short is you get about 27% increased performance over a
single core CPU of the same technology and speed. So, unless you are a
power user (1 GHz CPUs are fast enough for the email and web browsing
crowd), or it's just a really good deal, take the money you'd spend on a
dual core system, and buy a single core system, and put the money you
save into more memory.