Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restore Points

Restore Points

Zygy

OSWin.XPPro.I was advised to create a Systems Restore after scanning my
computer for all the known invaders, which I do once a week. That has
created a lot of Systems Restore entries, since I have now been doing that
for few years, so there must be hundreds of them. Can anyone advise me,
please where I should look for
the past Restore Points and how to delete most of them?

Max Ferger

Am 25.09.2006, 08:58 Uhr, schrieb Zygy <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> [...] where I should look for the past Restore Points and how to delete most of them?

Find your Settings under System->SystemProperties RegisterCard "System Restore"
(German: Systemsteuerung->System->Systemwiederherstellung)

There, you can disable or restrict hd-usage for system-recovery.

You might clean up your harddrive finding the button under its proterties.
(German: Systemprogramme->Datenträgerbereinigung->Weitere Optionen->Systemwiederherstellung bereinigen...)

As far as I know, Windows has a limit of space used for system-recovery. Older restore-points are deleted automatically.

Tschüß!

Max Ferger

why?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 07:58:25 +0100, Zygy wrote:

>OSWin.XPPro.I was advised to create a Systems Restore after scanning my
>computer for all the known invaders, which I do once a week. That has
>created a lot of Systems Restore entries, since I have now been doing that
>for few years, so there must be hundreds of them. Can anyone advise me,

There won't be hundreds.

Last posted,

From: why? - view profile
Date: Sun, Jul 23 2006 5:42 pm
Email: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
Groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

www.google.com or as it's a MS product, search the MS KB
even searching past posts
the article links for MS IIRC have been posted before.

For those to follow, using Google to search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+restore+points

http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+re...oints+settings

How system restore works, disk space settings
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../getstarted/ba...
The System Restore feature is built into Windows XP and is used to
return your computer to an earlier state if you have a system failure or
other major problem with your computer. The point of System Restore is
to restore your system to a workable state without you having to
reinstall the operating system and lose your data files in the process.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx
General Questions General Questions
How-To Guide How-To Guide
Troubleshooting Troubleshooting
Additional Information Additional Information

Me

Ron Martell

"Zygy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OSWin.XPPro.I was advised to create a Systems Restore after scanning my
>computer for all the known invaders, which I do once a week. That has
>created a lot of Systems Restore entries, since I have now been doing that
>for few years, so there must be hundreds of them. Can anyone advise me,
>please where I should look for
>the past Restore Points and how to delete most of them?

There is a maximum amount of hard drive space that will be used by
System Restore. Once this limit is reached, older restore points are
automatically deleted as required to free up space for the new ones
being created.

You can specify the amount of disk space that System Restore can use
by going to Control Panel - System - System Restore, selecting your
hard drive partition (each partition will have its own System Restore
data) and clicking on the Settings button. For most users a System
Restore limit of between 700 mb and 1 gb will suffice to provide for
at least a week to 10 days worth of restore points and that is
sufficient. Going back further than 10 days with System Restore will
generally create more problems than it solves.

If your computer is stable and you have not made any substantive
changes in the past week to 10 days then you can quite easily remove
all but the most recent System Restore points. Do this by using Disk
Cleanup (under Accessories - System Tools on the Start Menu). In Disk
Cleanup and going to the More Options tab. The option to clean up
System Restore is in the bottom section of the Window. Note that if
you have more than 1 hard drive partition you should do this for each
partition.

For more information about System Restore see MVP Bert Kinney's System
Restore pages: http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--