Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > new hard drive install

new hard drive install

arethusa

Is it possible to install a new hard drive without having a floppy
drive and only one CD drive? I tried to install my new hard drive but
it appears that I need to have both the HD's install disk (or floppy)
and the Windows XP disk in at the same time. Is there a work-around
for this?

denise

Evan Platt

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:14:33 -0400, arethusa <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is it possible to install a new hard drive without having a floppy
>drive and only one CD drive?

Depends on the computer.

>I tried to install my new hard drive but
>it appears that I need to have both the HD's install disk (or floppy)
>and the Windows XP disk in at the same time. Is there a work-around
>for this?

Go into the BIOS for your computer. Tell it to boot from CD.

Plato

arethusa wrote:

> Is it possible to install a new hard drive without having a floppy
> drive and only one CD drive? I tried to install my new hard drive but

Yes, most often you dont need any disk or disc to install a new hard
drive. However yes, When booting up after the hard drive is actyually in
windows may want to see your xp cd.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Walter Mautner

arethusa enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

> Is it possible to install a new hard drive without having a floppy
> drive and only one CD drive? I tried to install my new hard drive but
> it appears that I need to have both the HD's install disk (or floppy)
> and the Windows XP disk in at the same time. Is there a work-around
> for this?

You may try to enable legacy USB support in your bios, and put the hd
(sata?) driver on a usb stick formatted as floppy (without partition
table).