Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dell dimension 4500

dell dimension 4500

Michael

Hello,
I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.

I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
which cpu's will fit this board.

many thanks

mike

hounsell

I Think the intel pendleton its a skt 478 board. The 4500 has had a
range of processors during its life time, but the most common 478 ones
are 1.8GHz And 2.0GHz

Michael wrote:
> Hello,
> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
> faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
>
> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
> which cpu's will fit this board.
>
> many thanks
>
> mike

Flyer

"Michael" <pel@> wrote in message
news:45168d2a$0$3604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
> faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
>
> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
> which cpu's will fit this board.

The Pentium 4 supported in the Dell Dimension 4500 can have a max speed of
2.8Ghz, according to Dell's support pages.
Hardly worth the effort of upgrading, if you could find a socket 478 CPU
these days. And certainly not worth the cost, in my view.

P.

Evi

Would the freeware Aida32 give you this info? I don't understand half the
stuff it told me about my PC but maybe sockets come into that.
Evi

"Michael" <pel@> wrote in message
news:45168d2a$0$3604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
> faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
>
> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
> which cpu's will fit this board.
>
> many thanks
>
> mike

Mike Easter

Michael wrote:
> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
> faster cpu,

Why? That is, exactly what kind of 'speed' problem are you trying to
solve? Some/most problems of perception of performance speed aren't
related very closely simply to the CPU mhz.

> can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.

System chip set Intel 845E

> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone
> knows which cpu's will fit this board.

Discussions of limitations of upgrading take place on Dell forum boards
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...d=18846#M60047
Dimension 4500 upgrade

--
Mike Easter

tom

news:4516c255$0$97245$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Michael wrote:
> > I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
> > faster cpu,

> Why? That is, exactly what kind of 'speed' problem are you trying to
> solve? Some/most problems of perception of performance speed aren't
> related very closely simply to the CPU mhz.

<snip>

The benefits of a faster cpu with regards to web surfing are frequently akin
to having a corvette in a traffic jam.

Michael

Many thanks for all your input,ill not bother with an 2.8 upgrade your right
its not worth it.

thanks again

michael

"Michael" <pel@> wrote in message
news:45168d2a$0$3604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
> faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
>
> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
> which cpu's will fit this board.
>
> many thanks
>
> mike

richard

"tom" <@~.com> wrote in message
news:kvzRg.680$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4516c255$0$97245$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>> Michael wrote:
>> > I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
>> > faster cpu,

>> Why? That is, exactly what kind of 'speed' problem are you trying to
>> solve? Some/most problems of perception of performance speed aren't
>> related very closely simply to the CPU mhz.

> <snip>
>
> The benefits of a faster cpu with regards to web surfing are frequently
> akin
> to having a corvette in a traffic jam.

"Beamers to the right of me, beamers to the left of me, stuck in the middle
with you."

Obviously, if one is stuck in a traffic jam, mode of transportation is
hardly relevant.
I speced my dell 4300 out to include a 1.7gig clock. Cadillac at the time.
As for surfing with it, I didn't notice any real upsurge in performance.
Locally, the cpu speed makes a big difference.

fkasner

Michael wrote:
> Many thanks for all your input,ill not bother with an 2.8 upgrade your right
> its not worth it.
>
> thanks again
>
> michael
>

> "Michael" <pel@> wrote in message
> news:45168d2a$0$3604$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
>> faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
>> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
>>
>> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
>> which cpu's will fit this board.
>>
>> many thanks
>>
>> mike

Most the slowness problems you may be experiencing may be due to too
little RAM. RAM prices are not cheap these days but it might serve you
well to increase to 1024 MB.
FK