Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD/DVD Drive problems

CD/DVD Drive problems

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I've posted about this in the past, but it's gotten worse. In fact, the fix that
someone posted for me that used to work which made some registry changes, no
longer does. The is, I put a CD in one of my two drives, click on the drive in
Windows Explorer, and all I get is a prompt to insert a disk into the drive. It
happens on both drives, one of which is a CD writer - DVD reader, the other is a
CD and DVD writer. I end up having to reboot the system whenever I want to use
one of the drives. I was once told that a poorly written program could screw up
the registry and cause these problems, which is why I used the utility that
someone gave me to change the registry. But I haven't installed any programs.
I've just been using the drives to write CD's or listen to CD's. Since it's both
drives, I doubt it's a problem with the hardware. Anyone have any ideas? It's
gone beyond aggravating. I'm using Windows XP Pro on a P4 machine. Thanks.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>I've posted about this in the past, but it's gotten worse. In fact, the fix that
>someone posted for me that used to work which made some registry changes, no
>longer does. The is, I put a CD in one of my two drives, click on the drive in
>Windows Explorer, and all I get is a prompt to insert a disk into the drive. It
>happens on both drives, one of which is a CD writer - DVD reader, the other is a
>CD and DVD writer. I end up having to reboot the system whenever I want to use
>one of the drives. I was once told that a poorly written program could screw up
>the registry and cause these problems, which is why I used the utility that
>someone gave me to change the registry. But I haven't installed any programs.
>I've just been using the drives to write CD's or listen to CD's. Since it's both
>drives, I doubt it's a problem with the hardware. Anyone have any ideas? It's
>gone beyond aggravating. I'm using Windows XP Pro on a P4 machine. Thanks.

Check the reg setting at
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
(If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)

(reboot for changes to take)

--
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sud-IdjIV-o

rfdjr1@optonline.net

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:27:12 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I've posted about this in the past, but it's gotten worse. In fact, the fix that
>>someone posted for me that used to work which made some registry changes, no
>>longer does. The is, I put a CD in one of my two drives, click on the drive in
>>Windows Explorer, and all I get is a prompt to insert a disk into the drive. It
>>happens on both drives, one of which is a CD writer - DVD reader, the other is a
>>CD and DVD writer. I end up having to reboot the system whenever I want to use
>>one of the drives. I was once told that a poorly written program could screw up
>>the registry and cause these problems, which is why I used the utility that
>>someone gave me to change the registry. But I haven't installed any programs.
>>I've just been using the drives to write CD's or listen to CD's. Since it's both
>>drives, I doubt it's a problem with the hardware. Anyone have any ideas? It's
>>gone beyond aggravating. I'm using Windows XP Pro on a P4 machine. Thanks.

>Check the reg setting at
>HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
>
>Double click on AutoRun and make sure it's set to 1
>(If 0 Explorer will not refresh the CD)
>
>(reboot for changes to take)

Thanks. I just checked and it's already set to a value of 1.