Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > anti virus , internet security

anti virus , internet security

McWideGlide

I need to update my antivirus program. It is due to expire in a week. I also
have the internet security . both Symantec and 2005 editions. The 2007
version of both sound so similar that I wonder if the internet security is
worth the money. I have a wireless router that has a firewall in it.
Jeff

PeeCee

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TE_Qg.15083$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I need to update my antivirus program. It is due to expire in a week. I
>also have the internet security . both Symantec and 2005 editions. The 2007
>version of both sound so similar that I wonder if the internet security is
>worth the money. I have a wireless router that has a firewall in it.
> Jeff

Save yourself some money and speed your computer up by dumping Symantec
(Norton).

Use the free 'AVG' anti virus http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
And the Freeware Anti Spyware programs
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
Spybot Search & Destroy

Posters on newsgroups have reported that the 2007 versions are even more
bloatware that the previous behemoths of 2005 / 2006
(means the PC is basically dedicated to just running the Anti Virus & not a
lot else)

Best
Paul.

Plato

McWideGlide wrote:

> I need to update my antivirus program. It is due to expire in a week. I also
> have the internet security . both Symantec and 2005 editions. The 2007
> version of both sound so similar that I wonder if the internet security is
> worth the money. I have a wireless router that has a firewall in it.

Yes, security is worth the money, but anything Symantec is NOT.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

thanatoid

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:TE_Qg.15083$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> I need to update my antivirus program. It is due to expire
> in a week. I also have the internet security . both
> Symantec and 2005 editions. The 2007 version of both sound
> so similar that I wonder if the internet security is worth
> the money. I have a wireless router that has a firewall in
> it. Jeff

PeeCee's advice is dead on. I will add one comment.

I have stopped running a virus scanner while on-line about 4 or
5 years ago. It just took too much resources and I know enough
not to click on everything anyway. When I download anything
that's not txt, pix, or music, I do a "DOS window" scan of my DL
directory with the free f-prot for DOS after I go off-line.

In 9 years I have never "caught" anything.

Walter Mautner

McWideGlide enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

> I need to update my antivirus program. It is due to expire in a week.
> I also have the internet security . both Symantec and 2005 editions.
> The 2007 version of both sound so similar that I wonder if the
> internet security is worth the money. I have a wireless router that
> has a firewall in it. Jeff

As others already have told you, Symantec is too vulnerable to be of any
use. Recently I had to "decontaminate" quite some pcs running that
av .... and yet with truckloads of viruses, trojans, spyware.
In such cases, I always get the 1-year-for free kaspersky version from
www.activevirusshield.com - sponsored by AOHell but one good thing -
and also use spybot search&destroy.
Some more advices:
-- A NAT router is better than a "personal firewall", so you don't need
another. If you want, keep the XP firewall.
- A "personal firewall" can as easily be tricked out like Symantecs
antivirus. Malicious programs use IE hooks and there they go. You don't
want to deny Inet access for IE, do you?
I actually find using these programs counterproductive, since they keep
users in false feeling of safety
- No firewall, neither hard- nor software, can do anything against you
by yourself downloading malware with or without your knowedge.
Surfing with IE is a risk, use Firefox or Opera.
Using Outlook and Outlook express is the same risk, as they all use
vulnerable IE functions.
- Any surfing on possibly compromised/malicious sites (google
for "webattack kits") is a risk, in particular with IE but also with
firefox and others, unless you disable all java, javascript and
activex. But then, browsing isn't much fun anymore ...
- E-mails can have malicious content and you run it just when opening
html preview. No attachment needed anymore. See
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/193004530 as one of many examples.
-- THOU SHALT NOT run daily internet tasks (surfing, mailing) as ADMIN
or with admin permissions. Bash microsoft for they still (without even
asking) do create new users with FULL ADMIN RIGHTS per DEFAULT.
BASH Microsoft. Hard. Use linux where working as non-admin has the same
convenience as using admin in windows.
- If you still insist in using windows, PLEASE create a restricted
account and use that one for i-net day-to-day tasks. Office will work
just fine, just as browsers and mail. Only "legacy" software and many
games (they want raw device access for copy-protection measures) want
to have admin. Oh, yes, some badly written virus scanners for update,
and spyware/adware/trojans/viruses ....

But EVEN running a resctricted account for surfing does not hinder a
well written malware to creep in and wait until once you do run admin,
or use one of the well-known privilege escalation exploits, so USE your
BRAIN.
If you ever really need to download stuff from questionable sources, let
the download sit in a quarantine folder for at least one week. Then
update your virus scanner, your spybot and whatever, and let it go over
the files.
Then unpack the files if possible, without first installing.
Again go over them with all scanners.
Then .... if you still feel you really need it ... visit a church,
donate at least as much as it would take to buy the stuff legally from
a trusted source ... or at least pray ...
and, if you still cannot resist, create a restorepoint and do what you
must.
AMEN.