Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > explorer crashing upon opening

explorer crashing upon opening

H. Wayne Nix

Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
to be something on their home page since they are using different
pages.

I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
sign of some sort of malware.

The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
this that I'm not aware of?

Wayne

Evan Platt

On 21 Sep 2006 19:41:17 -0700, "H. Wayne Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
>saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
>to be something on their home page since they are using different
>pages.
>
>I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
>worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
>reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
>sign of some sort of malware.
>
>The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
>the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
>this that I'm not aware of?

What operating system?

It crashes with no error?

Try Start, Run, C:\ <Enter> That will bring up 'Explorer'. Then try
http://www.anything.com in that explorer window. Does that work?

I also work at a ISP, we've not recieved any calls like this.

clevelandteacher@gmail.com

Hi,
just had the same problem.
Go to add/remove programs and have them remove Yahoo Toolbar. That
happened on my laptop tonight and removing the toolbar fixed it.
Jennifer

H. Wayne Nix wrote:
> Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
> saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
> to be something on their home page since they are using different
> pages.
>
> I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
> worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
> reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
> sign of some sort of malware.
>
> The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
> the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
> this that I'm not aware of?
>
> Wayne

Wayne Nix

Evan Platt wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2006 19:41:17 -0700, "H. Wayne Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
> >saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
> >to be something on their home page since they are using different
> >pages.
> >
> >I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
> >worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
> >reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
> >sign of some sort of malware.
> >
> >The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
> >the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
> >this that I'm not aware of?

> What operating system?

XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

> It crashes with no error?

No error.

> Try Start, Run, C:\ <Enter> That will bring up 'Explorer'. Then try
> http://www.anything.com in that explorer window. Does that work?

The default in xp doesn't have an address bar in explorer windows. So I
can't try this.

> I also work at a ISP, we've not recieved any calls like this.

richard

"Wayne Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On 21 Sep 2006 19:41:17 -0700, "H. Wayne Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi. I'm a tech with a virtual isp. We're having a lot of users call in
>> >saying that when they open IE it immediately crashes. It doesn't seem
>> >to be something on their home page since they are using different
>> >pages.
>> >
>> >I've tried having them use system restore to a point when the browser
>> >worked. But windows goes through all the restore process but when it
>> >reboots it tells them that it couldn't restore. That's generally the
>> >sign of some sort of malware.
>> >
>> >The problem has just happened tonight. We've gotten about 10 calls with
>> >the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Any worm in the news that causes
>> >this that I'm not aware of?

>> What operating system?

> XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

Windows ME also has it.
Yahoo toolbar installed?

On 21 Sep 2006 20:29:39 -0700, "Wayne Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> What operating system?

>XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

Well, there's XP home, XP Pro. ME also had System Restore, IIRC.

>> It crashes with no error?

>No error.

So then what happens? It closes out? The system crashes and blue
screens??

>> Try Start, Run, C:\ <Enter> That will bring up 'Explorer'. Then try
>> http://www.anything.com in that explorer window. Does that work?

>The default in xp doesn't have an address bar in explorer windows. So I
>can't try this.

Ok, I'm running Vista, so I'm going from memory - but perhaps you can
go somwhere under View, Options and turn on that option?

Wayne Nix

Evan Platt wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2006 20:29:39 -0700, "Wayne Nix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> What operating system?

> >XP. That's the only one with system restore that I know of, right?

> Well, there's XP home, XP Pro. ME also had System Restore, IIRC.
>
> >> It crashes with no error?

> >No error.

> So then what happens? It closes out? The system crashes and blue
> screens??

Closes out to the desktop.

It turned out the yahoo toolbar mentioned earlier caused it. Yahoo ran
some sort of update and it was buggy.

Wayne

Wayne Nix