Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Seeking lawyer in the UK

Seeking lawyer in the UK

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local
council and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are
apparently plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge
the client.
What's my beef?
A council who feels they can act outside the law.
Failure to meet legislation requirements of a 7 day notice on a motor
vehicle warning of their intentions to remove and sell/destroy said vehicle.
Issuing a 24 hour notice (instead of 7 days) on a vehicle not on the
queens highway.
I had already spoken to the issuing office on a couple of occasions and
they told me that my vehicle would not be served, and that I could leave
it where it was.
Prompt removal (3 hours) of the vehicle without police authorization.
Issuing officer was not working the following day so ordered it's
immediate removal.
After it's removal (but before I saw it was removed), the issuing
officer told me that if I get a SORN he would arrange to have the car
left alone. I do have a SORN.
Breaching civil rights by ordering me to sign a document stating that I
will ensure that same vehicle will have tax insurance and MOT before
they will permit it's release from the car pound.
The police took a report of a stolen vehicle, had I been in the wrong
they would not have taken said report.
The DVLA also accepted my report of the vehicles theft.
The firm that removed the vehicle said they shouldn't have removed it
promptly, but as the council paid them to do the job they just did as
they were told.
The Local Government Ombudsman acted in favour of the council, but a
supervisor agreed that I was right, but she showed she was too weak to
stand up to him and tell him to review the case.
The LGO refused to forward my appeal to an outside source, even though I
had been told that was what would happen.
I originally brought this up in the House of Commons, and got support
from an MP.
I wonder if the Labour Govt would like to take on the local council
involved, seeing as the Council is run by Lib Dems.

Local govt empowers itself far too easily, regardless of the pristine
condition of a vehicle (in my case, photographic evidence taken by the
issuing officer), they only have to say that they "think" a vehicle
"may" be abandoned and they get to take on all sorts of magical powers.
I let a tyre down whilst it was in the residents car park so that
joy-riders wouldn't steal it and kill someone, and he decided to use the
flat tyre as a sign of abandonment.

Brian

Mr User

Brian H wrote:
> I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local
> council and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are
> apparently plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge
> the client.

<snip>

Your first course of action would be to speak with the local CAB
(Citizens Advice Bureau)
http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Whiskers

On 2006-09-21, Brian H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local
> council and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are
> apparently plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge
> the client.

snip

Try asking in the newsgroup uk.legal

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Douglas C. Neidermeyer

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cEzQg.25674$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a lawyer who would be prepared to take on a local council
> and not charge me for their services, don't laugh, there are apparently
> plenty of them out there who take on cases and don't charge the client.
> What's my beef?
> A council who feels they can act outside the law.
> Failure to meet legislation requirements of a 7 day notice on a motor
> vehicle warning of their intentions to remove and sell/destroy said
> vehicle.
> Issuing a 24 hour notice (instead of 7 days) on a vehicle not on the
> queens highway.
> I had already spoken to the issuing office on a couple of occasions and
> they told me that my vehicle would not be served, and that I could leave
> it where it was.
> Prompt removal (3 hours) of the vehicle without police authorization.
> Issuing officer was not working the following day so ordered it's
> immediate removal.
> After it's removal (but before I saw it was removed), the issuing officer
> told me that if I get a SORN he would arrange to have the car left alone.
> I do have a SORN.
> Breaching civil rights by ordering me to sign a document stating that I
> will ensure that same vehicle will have tax insurance and MOT before they
> will permit it's release from the car pound.
> The police took a report of a stolen vehicle, had I been in the wrong they
> would not have taken said report.
> The DVLA also accepted my report of the vehicles theft.
> The firm that removed the vehicle said they shouldn't have removed it
> promptly, but as the council paid them to do the job they just did as they
> were told.
> The Local Government Ombudsman acted in favour of the council, but a
> supervisor agreed that I was right, but she showed she was too weak to
> stand up to him and tell him to review the case.
> The LGO refused to forward my appeal to an outside source, even though I
> had been told that was what would happen.
> I originally brought this up in the House of Commons, and got support from
> an MP.
> I wonder if the Labour Govt would like to take on the local council
> involved, seeing as the Council is run by Lib Dems.
>
> Local govt empowers itself far too easily, regardless of the pristine
> condition of a vehicle (in my case, photographic evidence taken by the
> issuing officer), they only have to say that they "think" a vehicle "may"
> be abandoned and they get to take on all sorts of magical powers.
> I let a tyre down whilst it was in the residents car park so that
> joy-riders wouldn't steal it and kill someone, and he decided to use the
> flat tyre as a sign of abandonment.
>

> Brian

Too bad you let your liberal politicians take all your guns away and disarm
the populace.

Otherwise you and your mates could march quickstep on Government House with
arms shouldered and pipes swirling and intimidate the bloody hell out of
them

Douglas

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Brian H wrote:

<snipped story>

> Brian

I can't believe you're still smiling. I'd be spitting nails.

Good luck, Brian.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
willing to inflict on others. Phdre n Delaunay

piltdown

Sounds to me as if the local authority
acted perfectly sensibly. Anyway, what
have you got against paying a lawyer?
Do you not expect to be paid for your
service?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

piltdown wrote:
> Sounds to me as if the local authority
> acted perfectly sensibly. Anyway, what

So you are saying that it's ok for them to ignore legislation and break
the law.

> have you got against paying a lawyer?

I have nothing against paying a lawyer, I'm just looking for one that
might just ask a nominal fee but will not charge for their time.
There are those that do actually take on work of this type.

> Do you not expect to be paid for your
> service?

I'm only dealing with one issue here, there are a number of services
that I am being charged for yet not receiving from the same council.
Their financial corruption is another ball game with me.