Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > MCSE: Is it now a SCAM? +Suggestion to improve it

MCSE: Is it now a SCAM? +Suggestion to improve it

Mike

Have the MCSE and other MS-Certs been religated to the SCAM pile? It seems
like the value of a MCSE has dropped like a tech stock during the dot.BOMB
era. The supply has increased so rapidly, while the demand has remained the
same or decreased. It currently costs $875 for the exams alone, regardless
of any study materials, courses etc. Who knows how much money MS actually
makes off of these items (It's buried in their financials with CAL and
Server software sales) but they do reference certification, training and
microsoft press materials revenues increased over $100 million this past
year. I've worked with so many MCSE's that just haven't got a clue it makes
me sick. Why do they pass? Braindumps. Why have braindumps flourished? Well,
for one, when studying for a MS-exam you are told a broad list of topics
that are covered. Exam format? None of your business. Grading scheme? No
sir. Definition of a passing grade? Forget it buddy. Add to that the almost
contant development of new certifications, new requirements and expiring of
current content and there's only one thing that can happen.

Another reason paper MCSE's have flourished is because MS has done an
EXTREMELY poor job of differentiating their certs to the world. I frequently
see $10-15 help desk jobs that require a MCSE. No thanks, I'll keep
collecting my unemployment. Does MS want to maintain the value of it's
certs? It says it does. Has it made any effort? Yeah, it's gone after some
of the braindumps, but perhaps they were just taking market share away from
them. The MS-Press books are shoddy at best, and don't cover all the
material.

So, enough ranting, here's my suggestion. Look at Cisco's CCIE program. You
cannot fake that because there's a real-world lab that you have to complete.
I suggest that you combine 70-290,70-291 and create a lab that covers those
materials. This would change MCSA to 3 tests and 1 lab. For MCSE combine
70-293,70-294 and create a lab that covers those materials. For MCSE you now
need 5 exams and 2 labs. Don't be a bunch of jackos and charge $1,000 for it
though, offer the labs at cost. Then require all the existing MCSE's and
MCSA's to take a lab to become MC-MCSE's as in, ok yeah, this person's a
Microsoft Certified Microsoft Certified System Engineer. We really mean it
this time.

Just a thought...

Stephen O'Sullivan

What CERT's do you have?

"Mike" <mike2033_hotmail_nospam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have the MCSE and other MS-Certs been religated to the SCAM pile? It seems
> like the value of a MCSE has dropped like a tech stock during the dot.BOMB
> era. The supply has increased so rapidly, while the demand has remained

the
> same or decreased. It currently costs $875 for the exams alone, regardless
> of any study materials, courses etc. Who knows how much money MS actually
> makes off of these items (It's buried in their financials with CAL and
> Server software sales) but they do reference certification, training and
> microsoft press materials revenues increased over $100 million this past
> year. I've worked with so many MCSE's that just haven't got a clue it

makes
> me sick. Why do they pass? Braindumps. Why have braindumps flourished?

Well,
> for one, when studying for a MS-exam you are told a broad list of topics
> that are covered. Exam format? None of your business. Grading scheme? No
> sir. Definition of a passing grade? Forget it buddy. Add to that the

almost
> contant development of new certifications, new requirements and expiring

of
> current content and there's only one thing that can happen.
>
> Another reason paper MCSE's have flourished is because MS has done an
> EXTREMELY poor job of differentiating their certs to the world. I

frequently
> see $10-15 help desk jobs that require a MCSE. No thanks, I'll keep
> collecting my unemployment. Does MS want to maintain the value of it's
> certs? It says it does. Has it made any effort? Yeah, it's gone after some
> of the braindumps, but perhaps they were just taking market share away

from
> them. The MS-Press books are shoddy at best, and don't cover all the
> material.
>
> So, enough ranting, here's my suggestion. Look at Cisco's CCIE program.

You
> cannot fake that because there's a real-world lab that you have to

complete.
> I suggest that you combine 70-290,70-291 and create a lab that covers

those
> materials. This would change MCSA to 3 tests and 1 lab. For MCSE combine
> 70-293,70-294 and create a lab that covers those materials. For MCSE you

now
> need 5 exams and 2 labs. Don't be a bunch of jackos and charge $1,000 for

it
> though, offer the labs at cost. Then require all the existing MCSE's and
> MCSA's to take a lab to become MC-MCSE's as in, ok yeah, this person's a
> Microsoft Certified Microsoft Certified System Engineer. We really mean it
> this time.
>
> Just a thought...

Kline Sphere

>Why do they pass? Braindumps. Why have braindumps flourished? Well,

To answer your question nuk'ing China would be a good starting point.

isles1

Stephen O'Sullivan wrote:
> *What CERT's do you have?
> *

I second that question..

isles

TN

Spoken like a true American.

"Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Why do they pass? Braindumps. Why have braindumps flourished? Well,

> To answer your question nuk'ing China would be a good starting point.

Consultant

even though he is not american

"TN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kjBub.552$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spoken like a true American.
>
> "Kline Sphere" <.> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >Why do they pass? Braindumps. Why have braindumps flourished? Well,

> > To answer your question nuk'ing China would be a good starting point.

Kline Sphere

>even though he is not american

Who say's I'm not!

Jtyc

> Who say's I'm not!

Consultant.

I'm not an American, I'm a Frisian-American.

Jay

If you don't like it, don't get certified. Gain
employment and hell, the interview on your merit alone.
Maybe your verbal and narrative persuasions will help
there?

- Jay

pmcg

I think it is...