Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Norton Internet Security 2007

Reply
Thread Tools

Norton Internet Security 2007

 
 
Sue
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
go back to the 2005 version? I've tried unsuccessfully to find any on-line
Norton support.

Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
Sue wrote:

> I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now
> takes 4 to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this
> normal?


For Norton? Probably so, it's a well-touted resource hog. (Same for
McAfee)

Check to see if you didn't turn on, or it was the default, a scan of
your whole drive upon bootup. Turn off Inbound and Outbound email
scanning, too; it's not necessary.

> Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not,
> is it possible to go back to the 2005 version? I've tried
> unsuccessfully to find any on-line Norton support.


Get free stuff and dump Norton.
http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Martell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
"Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
>to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
>there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
>go back to the 2005 version? I've tried unsuccessfully to find any on-line
>Norton support.
>


Typical result for a computer that has been infested by a
Norton/Symantec product.

There are alternatives that are fully comparable in reliability but
put far less of a drag on your computer.

Here is what I use:

Firewall: Router with NAT (almost all routers have this. Mine is
wireless (D-Link DI-524) and cost $39CDN on sale at Staples.

Antivirus: AVG Free edition

Antispyware: Windows Defender (beta).

Supplementary: Weekly scan with AdAware, monthly scan with Trend
Micro Housecall.

The only item that I am missing is protection against unwanted
outbound traffic, but in order for that to happen the malware first
has to get onto my computer and I keep that clean. I also keep an
eye on the activity lights on my router and on the ADSL modem to see
if there is any Internet traffic occurring when I am not working
online.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
Syberfix Remote Computer Repair

"Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
has never been in bed with a mosquito."
 
Reply With Quote
 
EricP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:48:37 GMT, "Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
>to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
>there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
>go back to the 2005 version? I've tried unsuccessfully to find any on-line
>Norton support.
>
>Thanks
>

Norton used to be a nice thing, now it's a piece of oversized crap.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sue
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have turned off some things, including
something called "Phishing Protection" because I did not like the green bar
that it placed on the top of every web page. Is it okay to do away with
that?

I feel like the 2007 version of this product has taken over things that I
would rather be in charge of myself. Not only that, but because I renewed my
subscription a month early, I lost one month of my old subscription. I
assumed that the new subscription would start when the old one expired. Not
so. Oh well, live and learn. It won't happen again next year.

Thanks again.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
Sue wrote:
>
> I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
> to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is


Yes, perfectly normal for Nortons products.

> there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to


Remove NIS ASAP


--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:53:43 GMT, "Sue" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have turned off some things, including
>something called "Phishing Protection" because I did not like the green bar
>that it placed on the top of every web page. Is it okay to do away with
>that?


Sure. Just be careful what links you click on in e-mails - especially
messages from "Citibank Security", "PayPal Protection", etc..

>I feel like the 2007 version of this product has taken over things that I
>would rather be in charge of myself. Not only that, but because I renewed my
>subscription a month early, I lost one month of my old subscription. I
>assumed that the new subscription would start when the old one expired. Not
>so. Oh well, live and learn. It won't happen again next year.


As others have mentioned, Norton is bloatware.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
Evan Platt wrote:

> As others have mentioned, Norton is bloatware.


...and nearly impossible to totally get rid of, once one decides to do
that. Sorta like AOL software.

The regular Add/Remove Programs doesn't do it. Symantec has some special
executable files on their web site that are *supposed* to finish the
job.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy Dean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:21:15 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Here is what I use:
>
>Firewall: Router with NAT (almost all routers have this. Mine is
>wireless (D-Link DI-524) and cost $39CDN on sale at Staples.


I'm surprised that a person of your PC expertise is not using a router
with SPI
>
>Antivirus: AVG Free edition
>
>Antispyware: Windows Defender (beta).
>
>Supplementary: Weekly scan with AdAware, monthly scan with Trend
>Micro Housecall.


SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

>The only item that I am missing is protection against unwanted
>outbound traffic, but in order for that to happen the malware first
>has to get onto my computer and I keep that clean.


Or perhaps ZoneAlarm

> I also keep an eye on the activity lights on my router and on the ADSL modem to see
>if there is any Internet traffic occurring when I am not working online.


Seems a hard task though maybe you have the discipline to do this and
also to disconnect from the Net when you leave your PC.

>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada


cheers
jd
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006
Jimmy Dean wrote:

> SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats


Spybot S&D is for spyware, and Ad-Aware is for .. well .. adware. Two
different types of malware.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Radio Broadcast - DocTrain East 2007 Live! (Oct 18-19, 2007) Scott Abel XML 0 10-17-2007 10:54 AM
Last Call for Papers Reminder: The 2007 International Conference of Information Security and Internet Engineering (ICISIE 2007) imecs_2007@iaeng.org Java 0 03-18-2007 09:14 AM
Norton Internet Security 2007 Reviewed @ BIOS Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-02-2006 02:10 AM
Norton internet security 2007 Beta Cowboy Bill NZ Computing 8 08-12-2006 11:16 AM



Advertisments