Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DHCP lease time

DHCP lease time

AD

Hi, hope someone can assist!
I have a BT hub and find that when I come back from work and turn the laptop
on, the hub is not dectected... it can take quite awhile for the connection
to suddenly come back.
Looking at the hub configuration, I notice the DHCP lease time is 24 hours.
Is there a link between the connection being un-available and the lease
time? I have no option to increase it on the hub but can select "Always use
the same address". Would that have any positive effect on the connection?
Thanks
AD

why?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:56:41 +0100, AD wrote:

>Hi, hope someone can assist!
>I have a BT hub and find that when I come back from work and turn the laptop
>on, the hub is not dectected... it can take quite awhile for the connection

Quite a while, as in 4 hours?

>to suddenly come back.

It's not detected how? Laptop to BT hub no link light? Another PC
connected to BT hub (which would be a hub or a Voyager modem with built
in switch?) and looking at the status / MAC address table doesn't show
the laptop MAC address / leased IP?

You aren't doing ipconfig/release before leaving work. It's assumed you
mean a Windows OS, it likes to try the last known DHCP server, the one
at work. If you release the ipaddress first it may work better. DO same
ipconfig/release before shutting down at home to take laptop back to
work.

>Looking at the hub configuration, I notice the DHCP lease time is 24 hours.
>Is there a link between the connection being un-available and the lease

Not with that much detail, no.

The lease should renew at 50% intervals,

0 , 12h , 18h, 21h etc.

Only if you get to 24 hr and can't get a lease, a Win OS from at lease
98 (maybe) , 2000 , XP and Vista will automatically assign a 169.254.x.x
address, see www.google.com for APIPA

>time? I have no option to increase it on the hub but can select "Always use
>the same address". Would that have any positive effect on the connection?

RTFM, well you would have to have the laptop with the same address at
home while still allowing it to change for work. Better off to let DHCP
to it's stuff.

>Thanks
>AD

Moving between work / home connections then have a look at
www.netswitcher.com

Me

AD

Hi,
Thanks. Obviously I did not explain myself at all well.
The laptop stay home (but moves around the home!) so the work IP is not used
on this laptop,
I use Windows XP.
The computer icon in the taskbar has a red cross and when I check the
available networks it just cannot find any (or sometimes a very weak one
belonging to my neighbours)... and then I come back from the shops and find
the connection is now on.
I did read the manual but nothing said about changing the DHCP to always the
same address.
Cheers
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:56:41 +0100, AD wrote:
>
>>Hi, hope someone can assist!
>>I have a BT hub and find that when I come back from work and turn the
>>laptop
>>on, the hub is not dectected... it can take quite awhile for the
>>connection

> Quite a while, as in 4 hours?
>
>>to suddenly come back.

> It's not detected how? Laptop to BT hub no link light? Another PC
> connected to BT hub (which would be a hub or a Voyager modem with built
> in switch?) and looking at the status / MAC address table doesn't show
> the laptop MAC address / leased IP?
>
> You aren't doing ipconfig/release before leaving work. It's assumed you
> mean a Windows OS, it likes to try the last known DHCP server, the one
> at work. If you release the ipaddress first it may work better. DO same
> ipconfig/release before shutting down at home to take laptop back to
> work.
>
>>Looking at the hub configuration, I notice the DHCP lease time is 24
>>hours.
>>Is there a link between the connection being un-available and the lease

> Not with that much detail, no.
>
> The lease should renew at 50% intervals,
>
> 0 , 12h , 18h, 21h etc.
>
> Only if you get to 24 hr and can't get a lease, a Win OS from at lease
> 98 (maybe) , 2000 , XP and Vista will automatically assign a 169.254.x.x
> address, see www.google.com for APIPA
>
>>time? I have no option to increase it on the hub but can select "Always
>>use
>>the same address". Would that have any positive effect on the connection?

> RTFM, well you would have to have the laptop with the same address at
> home while still allowing it to change for work. Better off to let DHCP
> to it's stuff.
>
>>Thanks
>>AD

> Moving between work / home connections then have a look at
> www.netswitcher.com
>
> Me

Rich Wilson

"AD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Thanks. Obviously I did not explain myself at all well.
> The laptop stay home (but moves around the home!) so the work IP is not
> used on this laptop,
> I use Windows XP.
> The computer icon in the taskbar has a red cross and when I check the
> available networks it just cannot find any (or sometimes a very weak one
> belonging to my neighbours)... and then I come back from the shops and
> find the connection is now on.
> I did read the manual but nothing said about changing the DHCP to always
> the same address.
> Cheers

Does restarting your computer fix it? I'm having similar problems with a
Belkin router; occasionally the network will spontaneously vanish, often
around the same time each night. Also the taskbar icon seems to spend a lot
of time saying "acquiring network address".

AD

Hi there,
It does sort it out most times, but not always.. sometimes I have to restart
a few times
AD
news:d4iQg.29549$(E-Mail Removed)...

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:38:36 +0100, AD wrote:

>Hi,
>Thanks. Obviously I did not explain myself at all well.
>The laptop stay home (but moves around the home!) so the work IP is not used
>on this laptop,
>I use Windows XP.
>The computer icon in the taskbar has a red cross and when I check the
>available networks it just cannot find any (or sometimes a very weak one
>belonging to my neighbours)... and then I come back from the shops and find
>the connection is now on.

Ah so it's wireless then. Well have you checked the modem connection
info mentioned earlier, helps to have a 2nd PC to do that.

Have you changed the channel?

I had a problem with aerial alignment, when I got an access point with 2
aerials, I tilted 1 from vertical to about 25deg and the laptop I had
lost the connection less often.

>I did read the manual but nothing said about changing the DHCP to always the
>same address.

Don't need that unless you are doing something like setting up a server
and need to configure port forwarding.

Try www.google.com and look for wireless network setup, there are lots
of guides.

>Cheers
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:56:41 +0100, AD wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, hope someone can assist!
>>>I have a BT hub and find that when I come back from work and turn the
>>>laptop
>>>on, the hub is not dectected... it can take quite awhile for the
>>>connection

>> Quite a while, as in 4 hours?
>>
>>>to suddenly come back.

>> It's not detected how? Laptop to BT hub no link light? Another PC
>> connected to BT hub (which would be a hub or a Voyager modem with built
>> in switch?) and looking at the status / MAC address table doesn't show
>> the laptop MAC address / leased IP?

<snip>

Me