Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Inexpensive web hosts

Inexpensive web hosts

Steve Freides

Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
what I _don't_ get for $4/month?

TIA.

-S-

richard

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
> what I _don't_ get for $4/month?
>
> TIA.

As has been said, you better shop around.
Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another source?

Make up a chart for the features you would want on your domain.
Go through a few dozen hosts and write down what each one has to offer.
You will soon find, that the el cheapo site may be el cheapo for a very good
reason.
While the more expensive site, has very little more to offer than el cheapo.

What I thought was a hell of a good deal, at $15 a month, I quickly found
another host who had tons more for $5 a month.

Most hosts will have several plans, compare the plans. Is one what you want?
There are a hundred more things to consider than just price.

Steve Freides

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any
>> idea what I _don't_ get for $4/month?
>>
>> TIA.
>>

> As has been said, you better shop around.
> Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another
> source?
>
> Make up a chart for the features you would want on your domain.
> Go through a few dozen hosts and write down what each one has to
> offer.
> You will soon find, that the el cheapo site may be el cheapo for a
> very good reason.
> While the more expensive site, has very little more to offer than el
> cheapo.
>
> What I thought was a hell of a good deal, at $15 a month, I quickly
> found another host who had tons more for $5 a month.
>
> Most hosts will have several plans, compare the plans. Is one what you
> want?
> There are a hundred more things to consider than just price.

I need very little, and the $4/month place says it has it all, so I'm
just trying to find a reason to spend some more money elsewhere. If I
can't, it will be the $4/month place. This is a little used site for a
non-profit, basically just a place to post dates of upcoming events a
few times a year and not much more than that.

-S-

Evan Platt

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:34:10 -0400, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
>what I _don't_ get for $4/month?

Hostmaster's site looks spammy. "Make Money with your site".

Look at what features they offer. See if they meet your needs.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:03:02 -0600, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As has been said, you better shop around.
>Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another source?

You can just give them your own computer and have them colo it. Much
better choice.
<sigh>

richard

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any idea
>>> what I _don't_ get for $4/month?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>

>> As has been said, you better shop around.
>> Is the host a true host or is the host reselling space from another
>> source?
>>
>> Make up a chart for the features you would want on your domain.
>> Go through a few dozen hosts and write down what each one has to offer.
>> You will soon find, that the el cheapo site may be el cheapo for a very
>> good reason.
>> While the more expensive site, has very little more to offer than el
>> cheapo.
>>
>> What I thought was a hell of a good deal, at $15 a month, I quickly found
>> another host who had tons more for $5 a month.
>>
>> Most hosts will have several plans, compare the plans. Is one what you
>> want?
>> There are a hundred more things to consider than just price.

> I need very little, and the $4/month place says it has it all, so I'm just
> trying to find a reason to spend some more money elsewhere. If I can't,
> it will be the $4/month place. This is a little used site for a
> non-profit, basically just a place to post dates of upcoming events a few
> times a year and not much more than that.
>
> -S-

www.dot5hosting.com

I didn't see where HM offered a dedicated IP. But most likely do since they
allow you to have other domains under your control. That is, a reseller
account.

As I found out, what's advertised is not always what you get.

Don't need a domain name? Check out various free hosting services that let
you use a subdomain.
suchas mysite.hostname.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Steve Freides wrote:

> I need very little, and the $4/month place says it has it all, so I'm
> just trying to find a reason to spend some more money elsewhere. If
> I can't, it will be the $4/month place. This is a little used site
> for a non-profit, basically just a place to post dates of upcoming
> events a few times a year and not much more than that.

http://themooseisloose.net/freehosting.html
may give you a low-volume site like that for a one-time $4.95US setup
fee, and after that, free. For life. <g>

50Megs Storage - 2Gig Transfer
cPanel Linux Control
Fantastico - Email - Antispam
MySQL - PHP - CGI

I have a couple sites on their regular hosting, and am not disappointed.

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:30:46 -0600, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I didn't see where HM offered a dedicated IP. But most likely do since they
>allow you to have other domains under your control. That is, a reseller
>account.

What does either have to do with the other?

Going to hostmaster.com and clicking on compare takes me to
register.com . Sounds sketchy.

>Don't need a domain name? Check out various free hosting services that let
>you use a subdomain.
>suchas mysite.hostname.com

Good god no.

Steve Freides

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:34:10 -0400, "Steve Freides"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hostmonster.com is $4/month - Yahoo is $12, Earthlink is $20. Any
>>idea
>>what I _don't_ get for $4/month?

> Hostmaster's site looks spammy. "Make Money with your site".
>
> Look at what features they offer. See if they meet your needs.

Hostmaster != Hostmonster.

-S-