Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DRM Protection?

DRM Protection?

SS

I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is under
DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
file (wmv)?

SJP

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NDbQg.29346$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
>under
> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
> file (wmv)?

DRM...digital rights management
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

Sybil

SJP wrote:
> "SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NDbQg.29346$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
>> under
>> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
>> file (wmv)?
>>

> DRM...digital rights management
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?

-Sib

PeeCee

"Sybil" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:y6eQg.1597$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> SJP wrote:
>> "SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:NDbQg.29346$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
>>> under
>>> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play
>>> the
>>> file (wmv)?
>>>

>> DRM...digital rights management
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
>>

> any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?
>
> -Sib

Have a read:

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Rem...fort?&id=60860

Rich Wilson

"Sybil" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:y6eQg.1597$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> SJP wrote:
>> "SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:NDbQg.29346$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
>>> under
>>> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play
>>> the
>>> file (wmv)?
>>>

>> DRM...digital rights management
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
>>

> any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?

If you've got a protected file and no licence for it, you're not allowed to
view it. Simple as that.

And eliminating things from your computer wouldn't help, it's the video file
itself that's got the protection in it.

Sybil

Rich Wilson wrote:
> "Sybil" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
> news:y6eQg.1597$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
>> SJP wrote:
>>> "SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:NDbQg.29346$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> DRM...digital rights management
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
>>>

>> any program to disable DRM, or eliminate it off my computer?

> If you've got a protected file and no licence for it, you're not allowed to
> view it. Simple as that.
>
> And eliminating things from your computer wouldn't help, it's the video file
> itself that's got the protection in it.

Actually, I should have clarified what happened to me. I have a promo CD
distributed by WEA (Warner Elektra Atlantic). And when I popped it in,
it gave a message, something like , Please Click OK to install
additional files on your computer. then of course I CLICKED "NO"
and said '**** that...' so... I wanted to rip it to my computer, not
to burn copies for everybody, but so I don't have to run back and forth
grabbing CD's from the vault to listen to... (not sure most of the
public is into the band 'Laibach' anyway)

Anyway, I'm aware of the evil rootkit from Sony but I wasn't sure what
the "Additional files" were...

I like to know though )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Sybil <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

>Actually, I should have clarified what happened to me. I have a promo CD
>distributed by WEA (Warner Elektra Atlantic). And when I popped it in,
>it gave a message, something like , Please Click OK to install
>additional files on your computer. then of course I CLICKED "NO"
> and said '**** that...' so... I wanted to rip it to my computer, not
>to burn copies for everybody, but so I don't have to run back and forth
>grabbing CD's from the vault to listen to... (not sure most of the
>public is into the band 'Laibach' anyway)

That's how DRM is installed, or any number of programs, I have
autorun disabled just for this reason.

You can always hold the right shift key down when inserting a CD to
disable autorun. (for the ones that don't take no for an answer).

>Anyway, I'm aware of the evil rootkit from Sony but I wasn't sure what
>the "Additional files" were...
>
>I like to know though )

Read the Autorun.ini on the CD, it will show what file will be run,
and you work from there.

--
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWf_CIz--88

Audio Grabber

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NDbQg.29346$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded a video file and tried to play it but it says the file is
>under
> DRM protection and cannot be played - what is that and how can I play the
> file (wmv)?

It can be defeated:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

As an additional note for protected iTunes downloads,
This works with Nero, so assuming it should also work
with any audio burning software.
iTunes downloads have "fair play DRM" and are not
actually an audio file but "data", as are MP3 DRM, they
too are also "data". Burn to disk as an *Audio* CD.
The original files were compressed, and the "quality"
remains as the original, but they are now 16 bit CD audio
tracks and this simple process of converting to 16bit CD audio
removes DRM.
You can now rip back to HD as MP3/WMA/AFF etc and all
DRM restrictions are defeated and removed.