Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Stop Using IE - Switch to Firefox or Opera NOW!

Stop Using IE - Switch to Firefox or Opera NOW!

SOG-1982

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Oh? Can you give an example of a site which FF renders "more
>>correctly", or the "various things that IE doesn't even to consider"?

> Take the acid test http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
> Only Opera renders this page properly
> FireFox 1.5 - Kinda
> IE - doesn't come close

I switched to Opera a while ago. I notice it has the least critical
vulnerability according to http://secunia.com/ - - of course, this could
change an hour from now

I keep other browsers on my system - such as Konqueror, Firefox, and Galeon,
for testing web pages before they're published. I'd use IE7 but it doesn't
natively on Linux.

--
If it can't chamber a .308 round, bring me an ice cold beer, or give me a
raise... I ain't interested.

Sybil

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Oh? Can you give an example of a site which FF renders "more
>> correctly", or the "various things that IE doesn't even to consider"?

> Take the acid test http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
> Only Opera renders this page properly
> FireFox 1.5 - Kinda
> IE - doesn't come close

Too bad Opera runs slower and hangs all the time...
K-Meleon on the other hand is faster than the speed of light.

thanatoid

Sybil <(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote in news4oQg.631$(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh? Can you give an example of a site which FF renders
>>> "more correctly", or the "various things that IE doesn't
>>> even to consider"?

>> Take the acid test
>> http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ Only Opera
>> renders this page properly FireFox 1.5 - Kinda
>> IE - doesn't come close
>>

> Too bad Opera runs slower and hangs all the time...
> K-Meleon on the other hand is faster than the speed of
> light.

Hey! I thought you were "disappointed" and weren't gonna hang
around anymore!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sybil wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh? Can you give an example of a site which FF renders "more
>>> correctly", or the "various things that IE doesn't even to
>>> consider"?

>> Take the acid test http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ Only
>> Opera renders this page properly FireFox 1.5 - Kinda IE - doesn't
>> come close

> Too bad Opera runs slower and hangs all the time...

If Opera is slow on your computer, there is something wrong. <g>

> K-Meleon on the other hand is faster than the speed of light.

Haven't used K-Meleon for about six months. Has a ready-for-prime-time
version been released?

--
-bts

Tree Air Freshener

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Sybil wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Take the acid test http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ Only
>>> Opera renders this page properly FireFox 1.5 - Kinda IE - doesn't
>>> come close

>> Too bad Opera runs slower and hangs all the time...

> If Opera is slow on your computer, there is something wrong. <g>
>
>> K-Meleon on the other hand is faster than the speed of light.

> Haven't used K-Meleon for about six months. Has a ready-for-prime-time
> version been released?

1. something or other is out now. and Opera, on EVERY computer I've
loaded it on goes slower. It's only a tad faster than FF.
Hell, IE 6 runs faster than Opera alot of the time in my experience.

Tree Air Freshener

<SNAPPLE>
> Hey! I thought you were "disappointed" and weren't gonna hang
> around anymore!

I'm a time Lord, and I regenerated...

Like the Pine-Sol?

Freezer

If I don't respond to this Tree Air Freshener post, the
terrorists win.

> 1. something or other is out now. and Opera, on EVERY computer
> I've loaded it on goes slower. It's only a tad faster than FF.
> Hell, IE 6 runs faster than Opera alot of the time in my
> experience.

There are cache and page load settings that will speed up Opera's
load time massively. Hell, the only time I've had issues with
when I try to open many multiple pages at once.

--
My name is:
____ _

Tree Air Freshener

Freezer wrote:
> If I don't respond to this Tree Air Freshener post, the
> terrorists win.
>
>> 1. something or other is out now. and Opera, on EVERY computer
>> I've loaded it on goes slower. It's only a tad faster than FF.
>> Hell, IE 6 runs faster than Opera alot of the time in my
>> experience.

> There are cache and page load settings that will speed up Opera's
> load time massively. Hell, the only time I've had issues with
> when I try to open many multiple pages at once.

Hmmm... can you supply some tips or a link to help me tweak Opera, I'd
be interested to see what can be done.

Notforu@myworld.com

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:19:04 GMT, Tree Air Freshener
<musegruppes@****LYSOLGETATREE.nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>Freezer wrote:
>> If I don't respond to this Tree Air Freshener post, the
>> terrorists win.
>>
>>> 1. something or other is out now. and Opera, on EVERY computer
>>> I've loaded it on goes slower. It's only a tad faster than FF.
>>> Hell, IE 6 runs faster than Opera alot of the time in my
>>> experience.

>> There are cache and page load settings that will speed up Opera's
>> load time massively. Hell, the only time I've had issues with
>> when I try to open many multiple pages at once.

>Hmmm... can you supply some tips or a link to help me tweak Opera, I'd
>be interested to see what can be done.

http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Tips/tips.html

Freezer

If I don't respond to this post, the terrorists win.

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:19:04 GMT, Tree Air Freshener
> <musegruppes@****LYSOLGETATREE.nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Freezer wrote:
>>> If I don't respond to this Tree Air Freshener post, the
>>> terrorists win.

>>> There are cache and page load settings that will speed up
>>> Opera's load time massively. Hell, the only time I've had
>>> issues with loading is when either there's some weird coding
>>> on the page or when I try to open many multiple pages at
>>> once.

>>Hmmm... can you supply some tips or a link to help me tweak
>>Opera, I'd be interested to see what can be done.

> http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Tips/tips.html

The official Opera forums are also a big help.
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/

--
My name is:
____ _