Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > frequent crashes with US Robotics 8054 22MB/s wireless card

frequent crashes with US Robotics 8054 22MB/s wireless card

NGI

Hi,

I have installed a small wireless home network (ad hoc without router or
access point) running on Windows XP, including 2 pc's and a laptop. Each
machine has a US Robotics 8054 22 MB/s wireless card (laptop/PC versions
respectively). I never had any problems with connectivity, sharing Internet
access and normal file sharing. However, I am experiencing increasingly
frequent crashes at apparently random moments on all machines (blue
screen -> reboot). The minidump log ALWAYS mentions an error in the USRWLAN
component.
This has been going on for months now. US Robotics Tech support say they
don't have any record of this type of problem and suggested I'd try and
eliminate all other devices one by one to exclude the possibility of
conflicts. This didn't lead me to any solution. I recently installed Windows
XP SP2, but the problem is still there.
I would be happy to buy different wireless cards, if I could be sure that
this is a typical US Robotics problem, but I am afraid the same problems
might occur with cards from some other brand. Does anyone have any
recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance,

Massimo Lencioni