Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FAVORITES ICONS

FAVORITES ICONS

Maurice

There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side of
the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those sites but
having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost that and
they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly makes
reading the list much easier.

I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
anyone help?

Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.

Thanks

Maurice

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Maurice wrote:

> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand
> side of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of
> those sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to
> have lost that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for
> Yahoo). It certainly makes reading the list much easier.

They are called 'favicons.'

> I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find
> it. Can anyone help?

Don't ever clear your browser's cache and they might stay for awhile.
Once you purge the cache (which you should do periodically to keep IE
from stuffing itself up), they go away.

Cache is Temporary Internet Files, if you weren't aware.

> Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally
> ignored.

<lol> Seriously, if you were to upgrade to a modern browser, they would
even be displayed in the location bar. And, would hang around longer
with your bookmarks.

--
-bts

richard

"Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EjePg.31378$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side
> of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those
> sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost
> that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly
> makes reading the list much easier.
>
> I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
> anyone help?
>
> Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.
>
> Thanks
>
> Maurice

Simple. Visit those sites and you'll get the icons back.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side of
>the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those sites but
>having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost that and
>they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly makes
>reading the list much easier.
>
>I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
>anyone help?
>
>Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.

If you really like these Favicons, as mention'd use another browser.

I use Opera and they are store'd in Program Files\Opera\profile\images
so their not deleted when the temp files are deleted.

Else your just going to have to wait until they repopulate themselves.
(I guess, I don't use IE).

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

DanR

Maurice wrote:
> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand
> side of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of
> those sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to
> have lost that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for
> Yahoo). It certainly makes reading the list much easier.
>
> I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find
> it. Can anyone help?
>
> Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.
>
> Thanks
>
> Maurice

IE7 seems to do a better job of keeping favicons.

Bob B

"Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EjePg.31378$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side
> of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those
> sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost
> that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly
> makes reading the list much easier.
>
> I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
> anyone help?
>
> Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.
>
> Thanks
>
> Maurice

Here is a copy of a reply to the same question.. I think the lower link is a
free download

Bob

>> When I add a site to my favorites, sometimes the site provides its own
>> icon which is great. Later, when I pull down the menu, the icon has
>> defaulted to the generic IE. How can I stop this from happening?

> This programe (favorg) is something I downloaded years ago and retains all
> icons in there original format. I just had a quick look and they now want
> paying for it..you might find it using google for free. The other method
> was to go to your temp folder and save the original temp icon to another
> folder.
> Bob
>
> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1558477,00.asp (favorg)

this might be better
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...s/favorg.shtml

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> "Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EjePg.31378$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, ...

> Simple. Visit those sites and you'll get the icons back.

Only if you re-bookmark them.

--
-bts

Maurice

Thanks guys. That last line was the critical one.

Maurice

news:EygPg.57399$(E-Mail Removed)...
> richard wrote:
>
>> "Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:EjePg.31378$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, ...

>> Simple. Visit those sites and you'll get the icons back.

> Only if you re-bookmark them.
>
> --
> -bts
> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.

Bob B

What was the "last line"

news:k_gPg.24216$(E-Mail Removed)...

Bob B wrote:

> What was the "last line"

>>> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.

I guess that's what he meant... <lol>

How come you Outlook Express guys don't snip signatures?

--
-bts