Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > keyboard gone crazy

keyboard gone crazy

jama

i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

Mike Easter

jama wrote:
> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

Keyboards are both cheap and also cleanable.

You can disassemble the keyboard and clean it and you can also buy a new
keyboard very cheaply.

There are so many people who have spare keyboards for various reasons
that if you knew any such people someone would just give you a keyboard.
I've lost count of how many keyboards I've thrown away, usually because
the connectors have become antiquated because of the evolution of
popular keyboard mouse connectivity issues, or because I've accumulated
so many extra keyboards that I have to get rid of some of them because I
don't like something about their layout or color or touch or whatever.

--
Mike Easter

AnonyMouse

jama wrote:
> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

Search PC Magazine's web site at http://www.pcmag.com, they had an
article one time or another in their magazine (they have archives on
their web site too) about how to rescue a keyboard with stuff spilled on
it. I forget the article title--I think it was in a column by a guy
named Jim Louderback. Anyway, the column was abuut how this guy (now the
editor-in-chief of the magazine) ruined his older buckling-spring style
keyboard (a rare type that is supposed to have great tactile feedback)
with a latte and quick had to run out to buy a new keyboard. So he wrote
about cheap keyboards. But my main point is, at the end of the column,
he mentions about how regular keyboards (like the one you most likely
have) can be rescued. If I can find the link I'll reply to this post and
put it up here so you can see it.

AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse wrote:
> jama wrote:
>> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
>> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
>> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
>> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?
>>

> Search PC Magazine's web site at http://www.pcmag.com, they had an
> article one time or another in their magazine (they have archives on
> their web site too) about how to rescue a keyboard with stuff spilled on
> it. I forget the article title--I think it was in a column by a guy
> named Jim Louderback. Anyway, the column was abuut how this guy (now the
> editor-in-chief of the magazine) ruined his older buckling-spring style
> keyboard (a rare type that is supposed to have great tactile feedback)
> with a latte and quick had to run out to buy a new keyboard. So he wrote
> about cheap keyboards. But my main point is, at the end of the column,
> he mentions about how regular keyboards (like the one you most likely
> have) can be rescued. If I can find the link I'll reply to this post and
> put it up here so you can see it.

Okay, got it--quicker than I expected. Here's the shortened URL:

http://snipurl.com/wj6s

The long version, in case you have trouble with the short one:

By the way, you'll have to click "Next" about halfway through the
article--just so you aren't surprised. Anyway, when you click that
you'll see what would normally be on the second column of the page in
the print version of PC Magazine.

And in case you found the keyboard article useful for the
keyboard-shopping aspect, there is a similar one about mice:

http://snipurl.com/wj6u

and

are the short and long URLs for that respectively.

And I know you are probably not interested any more, but PC Magazine
also did another re-do of the keyboard article, this time as a
full-fledged article (a little more info, different keyboard models rated):

http://snipurl.com/wj6x

I hope I didn't windbag you guys to pieces now. Anyway, I hope it helps.

jama

well, the spill happend this afternoon, and it was fine then... it just
now started to act up.... but ill leave it overnight and hope for the
best. thanks for the article.

jama wrote:
> well, the spill happend this afternoon, and it was fine then... it just
> now started to act up.... but ill leave it overnight and hope for the
> best. thanks for the article.
>

> AnonyMouse wrote:
>> AnonyMouse wrote:
>>>>
>>> Search PC Magazine's web site at http://www.pcmag.com, they had an
>>> article one time or another in their magazine (they have archives on
>>> their web site too) about how to rescue a keyboard with stuff spilled on
>>> it. I forget the article title--I think it was in a column by a guy
>>> named Jim Louderback. Anyway, the column was abuut how this guy (now the
>>> editor-in-chief of the magazine) ruined his older buckling-spring style
>>> keyboard (a rare type that is supposed to have great tactile feedback)
>>> with a latte and quick had to run out to buy a new keyboard. So he wrote
>>> about cheap keyboards. But my main point is, at the end of the column,
>>> he mentions about how regular keyboards (like the one you most likely
>>> have) can be rescued. If I can find the link I'll reply to this post and
>>> put it up here so you can see it.

>> Okay, got it--quicker than I expected. Here's the shortened URL:
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/wj6s
>>
>> The long version, in case you have trouble with the short one:

>> By the way, you'll have to click "Next" about halfway through the
>> article--just so you aren't surprised. Anyway, when you click that
>> you'll see what would normally be on the second column of the page in
>> the print version of PC Magazine.
>>
>> And in case you found the keyboard article useful for the
>> keyboard-shopping aspect, there is a similar one about mice:
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/wj6u
>>
>> and

>> are the short and long URLs for that respectively.
>>
>> And I know you are probably not interested any more, but PC Magazine
>> also did another re-do of the keyboard article, this time as a
>> full-fledged article (a little more info, different keyboard models rated):
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/wj6x
>>
>> I hope I didn't windbag you guys to pieces now. Anyway, I hope it helps.

You're welcome.

ProfGene

jama wrote:
> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?

It would be most likely more expensive to have it fixed than buying a
new keyboard.

JB froilet

ProfGene wrote:
> jama wrote:
>
>> i spilled tea on my keyboard now some of the buttons are doing weird
>> things like lauching new windows. i have a compaq keyboard. could the
>> buttons have reprogrammed themselves while i was trying to dry it? can
>> it be fixed or do i have to toss the keyboard?
>>

> It would be most likely more expensive to have it fixed than buying a
> new keyboard.

Inside the keyboard are numerous printed circuits, & switches. It is
possible for the liquid to have shorted out connections.
Replace the keyboard. Replacements can be found for starting at 5
dollars... not worth having it fixed