Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question: Print to File

Question: Print to File

big note

To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
BN

SgtMinor

big note wrote:
> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
> File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
> click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
> retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
> the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
> BN

You could use a utility like PrnPrint:
http://www.magma.ca/~russrite/PrnPrint/index.html

It's probably a lot simpler to use PDFCreator or some other free
pdf maker to save paper. Instead of printing to paper you print
to a pdf file. Any computer with Adobe Acrobat Reader will be
able to open that file, and you can attach it to an email as well.
Get PDFCreator from:
http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator/download

Blinky the Shark

big note wrote:
> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
> File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I

What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
the image in its original graphics format?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

big note

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> big note wrote:
>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print
>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
>> when I

> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
> the image in its original graphics format?

Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a JPG but
can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve properly as
an HTML.

I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
Thanks.
BN

Ron Martell

big note <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
>File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
>click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
>retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
>the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
>BN

What program are you using that has the "Print to file" option built
in?

One solution would be to use PrimoPDF which installs as a printer.
When you select this as the printer it gives you several choices
regarding the quality (and therefore the size) of the PDF file to
create.
http://www.primopdf.com

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Mike Easter

big note wrote:
> Blinky the Shark
>> big note wrote:

>>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
>>> "Print To File" option for various images. I save the item as a
>>> file but when I

Why don't you start at the beginning? Do you or do you not have a
graphic file in a graphic file format which you are viewing and
selecting 'print to file' from some menu within the viewing program's
print function?

If you do *not* have a file in a graphic format, just exactly what *do*
you have?

>> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
>> the image in its original graphics format?

> Print to File is an option provided;

print to file is an option provided which follows what sequence while
performing what operation in what application?

> the page does not save as a JPG

page? Are we working with a webpage view in a browser?

> but can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve
> properly as an HTML.

You should definitely start at the beginning and talk about what you are
doing and what you are using to do it and what you are trying to save or
print to file.

> I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.

Before you go down the road of print to file, let's see if we can figure
out a way to save whatever it is you are trying to save.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2006-09-16, big note <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> big note wrote:
>>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print
>>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
>>> when I

>> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
>> the image in its original graphics format?
>>

> Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a JPG but
> can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve properly as
> an HTML.

Page? Do you mean a web page along with all its embedded images and any
other printable elements? Depending on which web browser you are using,
it is possible to 'save' all that data to your hard disc and then use your
browser to view it again. How well that works in practice does depend to
some extent on how the page is constructed, as well as on the abilities
and options of your browser. It isn't as easy as it sounds, as anything
that is fetched from elsewhere to be shown in the page (eg images) has to
be saved to your computer and then the HTML of the page itself has to be
re-written so that your local copy will fetch the images etc from where
they are on your computer. Different browsers approach that problem
differently, some more succesfully than others. (Opera seems to make a
fair job of it; 'File - Save as..' and select 'web archive (single file)
..mht' as the 'file type).

> I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
> Thanks.
> BN

Send the file to your printer? There are 'postscript readers' that can
read the files that are sent to a 'postscript printer' and display them on
a monitor, but if your printer doesn't use postscript files than that
won't work.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Blinky the Shark

big note wrote:
> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> big note wrote:
>>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print
>>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
>>> when I

>> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaving
>> the image in its original graphics format?
>>

> Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a JPG but
> can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve properly as
> an HTML.

I know. That was not my question.

What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over leaveing
the image in its original graphics format.

> I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.

I ask again, but more simply: why?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Vanguard

"big note" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns984071B4BF964catskidyahoocom@24.93.43.119. ..
> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
> "Print To
> File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when
> click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program
> retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or
> print
> the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
> BN

Why print to file when you already have a perfectly - and usable -
file for the image in the first place? Just what would printing an
image file to save into another file give you?

news:Xns984096859269Fcatskidyahoocom@24.93.43.121. ..
> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> big note wrote:
>>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
>>> "Print
>>> To File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but
>>> when I

>> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over
>> leaving
>> the image in its original graphics format?
>>

> Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a
> JPG but
> can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve
> properly as
> an HTML.
>
> I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
> Thanks.
> BN

So you are trying to steal someone else's content from their web site?
So why doesn't right-clicking on the image in the page and using Save
Target As work for you? Hmm, maybe they are using Flash to hide their
content from thieves and that's why you can't get it. You could use a
screen capture program to snag what displays on the screen but then
you only get image that can be sized to show within the limits of your
screen.