Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question: Print to File

Question: Print to File

Blinky the Shark

Vanguard wrote:
> "big note" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns984071B4BF964catskidyahoocom@24.93.43.119. ..
>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
>> "Print To
>> File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when
>> click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program
>> retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or
>> print
>> the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
>> BN

> Why print to file when you already have a perfectly - and usable -
> file for the image in the first place? Just what would printing an
> image file to save into another file give you?

I asked about the advantages. He skirted the issue. I don't think he
knows any reasons, at least that he wants to admit.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jimmy Dean

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:10:39 GMT, big note <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the "Print To
>File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when I
>click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program to
>retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or print
>the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
>BN

As you can see from the other responses, you need to be as specific as
possible in framing your question.

If you are trying to save a webpage, you can try Save as "web archive"
format - will attempt to save the webpage as it appears as a single
page.

jd

big note

That makes sense (not printing to a file if I already have a useable
image file); but how do I then capture the image file? In this
particular case, I wanted to save a chart on a web page. It is not a
jpeg.

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Vanguard wrote:
>> "big note" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns984071B4BF964catskidyahoocom@24.93.43.119. ..
>>> To save printing paper and ink I would like to start using the
>>> "Print To
>>> File" option for various images. I save the item as a file but when
>>> click on the file to retrieve or view, I'm asked to select a program
>>> retrieve the file. Cany anyone advise me on how to open and / or
>>> print
>>> the file that I originally Printed to File? Thanks!!
>>> BN

>> Why print to file when you already have a perfectly - and usable -
>> file for the image in the first place? Just what would printing an
>> image file to save into another file give you?

> I asked about the advantages. He skirted the issue. I don't think he
> knows any reasons, at least that he wants to admit.

big note

I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line. Instead of
printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically. It
seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve the
Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it is in
code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I appreciate
the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows and it
gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
retrieve and read the file?

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eehqee$70g$1
@emma.aioe.org:

> "big note" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns984096859269Fcatskidyahoocom@24.93.43.121. ..
>> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) :

>>> What do you perceive as the advantage of "print to file" over
>>> leaving
>>> the image in its original graphics format?
>>>

>> Print to File is an option provided; the page does not save as a
>> JPG but
>> can be saved as an HTML file. However, it does not retrieve
>> properly as
>> an HTML.
>>
>> I'm just trying to find the proper way to retrieve Print to File.
>> Thanks.
>> BN

> So you are trying to steal someone else's content from their web site?
> So why doesn't right-clicking on the image in the page and using Save
> Target As work for you? Hmm, maybe they are using Flash to hide their
> content from thieves and that's why you can't get it. You could use a
> screen capture program to snag what displays on the screen but then
> you only get image that can be sized to show within the limits of your
> screen.

Mike Easter

big note wrote:
> That makes sense (not printing to a file if I already have a useable
> image file); but how do I then capture the image file? In this
> particular case, I wanted to save a chart on a web page. It is not a
> jpeg.

There are a lot of different ways to capture an image file from a
webpage. Sometimes the best way to do it is to R click the graphic
element to use the R click context menu to aid in determining the nature
of the graphic vis the page. If the graphic R click produces a R click
context menu which includes 'save picture as' then several different
options develop, which includes saving the graphic file in isolation.

There are so many different kinds of options which can unfold from the R
click, including choosing Properties and selecting all of the properties
link and pasting that into a browser address line to aid in isolating
something.

Another strategy is to use the editing features of the mailuser agent
which is integrated with the browser, such as the relationship between
OE and IE's rendering engine. If you use IE's File/ Send/ Page by
email, then your mua OE is enabled and the page is in the editable
portion of an email. That allows crude editing of the page or a
separate opportunity to R click an image and copy it and paste it into a
graphic viewing and manipulating and converting application.

There are a variety of reasons that such strategies do not produce the
desired result.

Sometimes the alternative which should be chosen is to shift the view to
full screen and use a print-screen function to capture an image to the
clipboard and then paste the image into a graphics viewer for
manipulation or cropping or saving as a graphic filetype.

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

big note wrote:
> I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line. Instead of
> printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically. It
> seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve the
> Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it is in
> code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I appreciate
> the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows and it
> gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
> retrieve and read the file?

In what format are you saving it? Use a program appropriate for that
format.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Vanguard

"big note" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9840E60C0AD1catskidyahoocom@24.93.43.119.. .
> I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line.
> Instead of
> printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically.
> It
> seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve
> the
> Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it
> is in
> code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I
> appreciate
> the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows
> and it
> gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
> retrieve and read the file?

One, if you perform any transaction online, the other party (i.e.,
seller) should be giving you a receipt. Often it is a web page
showing your purchase. So you save that page. In order not to have
links in the saved page which would expire and later be unusable, save
the page in .mht format. This saves the page to a single file. If
you save it as HTML, you end up with the index page containing all the
links to files and a folder with all the linked objects, and that's a
mess.

If you are on an HTTPS (secured) page that doesn't let you save the
web page or it is one that is generated on-the-fly by server-side
scripts then the seller should be provided a "print view" page so you
can print it or they should send you an e-mail with the sales receipt.
As mentioned, you could use a screen capture program to save the
display of the web page with the receipt to an image file.

Print to file won't work if save web page won't work. If you cannot
download the content of the page by saving it then you won't get that
same undownloadable content when you save it to a print file. As
already mentioned, if you still want to use the Print function,
install a PDF file utility that lets you print to a PDF file. I use
PDFCreator (and have use Primo, Cute, and a few others but settled on
PDFCreator). It adds a printer device (emulated by driver) that you
print to. The printed document goes to a .pdf file that you can view
with Adobe's Acrobat Reader.

The reason why you cannot *view* a print file is that it contains the
control codes that get sent to the model-specific printer. You can't
read print codes. Ghostscript can read Postscript-encoded print files
and they have their Ghostview but it sucks for reviewing documents and
why printing to a PDF printer to generate the .pdf file is much
better. You told the application (i.e., browser) to *print* to a
printer but put the print code in a file so that's exactly what it
did. It created a file with all the printer codes in it that you
would later copy to the printer. However, as already said, if you
cannot successfully download a web page using File -> Save As then you
will also not be able to create a [complete] print file of that web
page.

There are several techniques to ensure that users don't have a local
copy of a web page in their browser's web cache. Just because it
shows up in the browser doesn't mean that you have a local copy of it
to print or save. If you are doing business online then make sure the
other party knows how to do business online. They should be providing
you with a "print view" page that you can print, allow you to save all
the content of the sales receipt page to a file, or send you a sales
receipt via email. If they don't, call them up and demand proof of
the transaction, and pester them everytime and voice the same
complaint via e-mail to push them to actually be more business-like
for online transactions.

Ron Martell

big note <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not stealing anything. I'm transacting business on line. Instead of
>printing the receipts on paper, I want to save them electronically. It
>seems simple to print to file and find the correct way to retrieve the
>Print File so it is legible. I can retrieve the print file but it is in
>code. Everyone seems to be making this very complicated but I appreciate
>the efforts to help. I'm just using the print command in Windows and it
>gives an option to Print to File. If I use this option, how do I
>retrieve and read the file?

What program are you using to transact the business and prepare the
receipts? Windows itself does not have these capabilities.

I suspect that you are not using a "Print to file" option in a
program, but rather have reconfigured your printer so that the printer
output is redirected to a file rather than to the printer port.

In that case your file is a printer image that can only be used to
actually print the document by sending it to the printer. It cannot
be read on screen.

What you need to do is to follow my earlier suggestion about
installing PrimoPDF and configuring your recept program to print to
that instead of the printer. That way your receipts will be saved as
..PDF files which you can view on screen or print later.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)