Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook, outlook express or thunderbird?

Outlook, outlook express or thunderbird?

Duane Arnold

sittingduck wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>

>>Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have
>>always used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I
>>have only had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

> Mailwasher for initial mail handling, Outlook for what's left. Xnews for
> Usenet.
>
> Some Outlook tips below.

I use MW myself in front of Outlook when I use it and in front of OE,
when using either one as the email client. I have used MW for years. I
don't use the bounce feature. It's a good tool for killing emails at the
POP3 server never letting them reach the machine. Outlook or OE are
taken out of their sending and receiving emails on start-up or on a
timed basis, which makes MW just that more effective for me.

Tunderbird I use as the NG reader along with OE. They both have their
pros and cons.

Duane

senti-mental case

Fred wrote:
> Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
> used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have only
> had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

Thunderbird! FAST, EASY, FREE AND SAFER THAN OUTLOOK!

Jim S

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:32:49 +0100, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2006-09-16, Jim S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> Opera browser is another safe option, but its email client was written by
>> someone who obviously does not get much email as filing is nigh-on
>> impossible.

> It doesn't use the 'put this letter in this pigeon-hole' model; instead
> you can classify each message in various ways and then use 'filters' to
> see only messages that have been classified in a particular way or ways.
> This is a lot more flexible than the traditional approach, and actually
> makes use of the power of modern computers instead of trying to copy the
> system that worked for clay tablets four thousand years ago )
>
> Opera's approach works quite well for email, once you get your head around
> it, (and I think has been imitated by Google for their Gmail) but isn't
> really usable for serious usenetting even though it can handle newsgroups
> to some extent.

To each his own I suppose. I keep all emails from friends and relatives in
folders with their name, and that suits me.
BTW I would none of the OP's options for newsreading. I use 40tude Dialog,
but could just as easily use Xnews
I truth be told I don't use FF and TB either, but Seamonkey, however its a
bit if a phart to set it up.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

sittingduck

Mara wrote:

> Mailwasher's bounce feature is useless, and it spams.

While I would agree that it's definitely not to be used regularly, it can be
handy if you know exactly to whom you are bouncing.
Discounting it completely is just ignorant.

Johno

I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all your
data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people who always backs
up his data then stick with outlook express.

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:450bad32$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any opinions on which program is best including ease of use. I have always
> used o.e. but thnking of changing. Outlook looks confusing, but I have
> only had a 2 second glance on another computer. Thank for any help.

thanatoid

"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> (What is the difference between outlook and outlook
>> express? AFAIK it's the same program,

> Not at all. They are completely different, even down to the
> format of data file(s) used.

Are we talking about 2 MS products or is there someone else
making something called outlook? If it's 2 versions of a MS
program, however "completely different", the term is highly
arguable, since they are both crap by definition.

I do recall something called "outlook" about 10 years ago, but
since I would never use any MS products for the internet, I have
not paid any attention to it, or to the "improved version" which
I would assume o.express is.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Johno wrote:

> I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all
> your data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people who
> always backs up his data then stick with outlook express.

While some users could certainly shoot themselves in the foot, I've been
using Thunderbird since version 0.2 and I still have all my data.

It is currently on version 1.5.0.7 and is quite stable.

There is one possibility ... that applies to other email clients as well
.... where the data is stored in a continuous file, and you have an
anti-virus program that misbehaves, and you tell it to delete a virus it
found, and it deletes the whole file.

That is not the fault of the email client.

--
-bts

Johno

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" - i am talking about a specfic problem with
mozilla products as what happens is you can load up firefox and all your
bookmarks have vanished, you can load up thunderbird and all your settings
and mails have just vanished, these are know bugs which happen to alot of
users yet most have no problemsm, check out the mozilla forums and you will
see.

news:K2ZOg.53149$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Johno wrote:
>
>> I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all
>> your data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people who
>> always backs up his data then stick with outlook express.

> While some users could certainly shoot themselves in the foot, I've been
> using Thunderbird since version 0.2 and I still have all my data.
>
> It is currently on version 1.5.0.7 and is quite stable.
>
> There is one possibility ... that applies to other email clients as well
> ... where the data is stored in a continuous file, and you have an
> anti-virus program that misbehaves, and you tell it to delete a virus it
> found, and it deletes the whole file.
>
> That is not the fault of the email client.
>
> --
> -bts
> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Johno wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Johno wrote:
>>
>>> I would stay away from thunderbird as sometimes it will delete all
>>> your data, its a known bug so unless you are one of these people
>>> who always backs up his data then stick with outlook express.

>> While some users could certainly shoot themselves in the foot, I've
>> been using Thunderbird since version 0.2 and I still have all my
>> data.
>>
>> It is currently on version 1.5.0.7 and is quite stable.
>>
>> There is one possibility ... that applies to other email clients as
>> well ... where the data is stored in a continuous file, and you have
>> an anti-virus program that misbehaves, and you tell it to delete a
>> virus it found, and it deletes the whole file.
>>
>> That is not the fault of the email client.

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" - i am talking about a specfic problem with
> mozilla products as what happens is you can load up firefox and all
> your bookmarks have vanished, you can load up thunderbird and all
> your settings and mails have just vanished,

Can you provide a link to one of these? I googled a bit, and came up
with several pages that say something along the lines of "I was trying a
new extension and my bookmarks disappeared" or similar.

> these are know bugs which happen to alot of users yet most have no
> problemsm, check out the mozilla forums and you will see.

Reports of these bugs apparently haven't been published in any group I
read...

--
-bts

Mara

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:17:46 -0700, sittingduck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>
>> Mailwasher's bounce feature is useless, and it spams.

>While I would agree that it's definitely not to be used regularly, it can be
>handy if you know exactly to whom you are bouncing.
>Discounting it completely is just ignorant.

And so your advice, here, in this world-wide newsgroup populated mostly with
newbies who couldn't tell an IP address from a hole in the ground, is that using
Mailwasher's feature is ok? Posters who *aren't* going to know exactly who the
spam, etc., comes from? But of course you don't bother to tell them how. Do you
even know yourself? If a spammer on Earthlink sends a spam with a forged address
of a real Earthlink user, do *you* know how to tell which is real and which
isn't?

I didn't think so. Pot, meet the black kettle. Enjoy each other.

--
Far be it for me to introduce facts and reason to the willfully blind
and ignorant. I leave thee to thy bliss. --LA, nanae