Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > A dumb sounding home network question

A dumb sounding home network question

GrandpaChuck

On 17 Sep 2006 18:00:16 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I don't believe it will not make any difference if you use a
>cable or wireless with your BC. The problem lies in the lack of
>processing speed in your BC which is inadequate for listening to
>audio streaming (let alone watching VIDEO webcasts). That's why
>for the use this thread is about, you should forget about the BC
>and plug an audio cable into the Pioneer.

Just for kicks and giggles, as they say, I ran BeLarc Advisor in the
BC and here is what I came up with:

Windows XP Pro

Processor:
950 mh AMD Duron
128 kb primary memory cache
64 kb secondary memory cache

Drives:
100.04 G Usable Hard Drive Capacity
59.06 G Hard Drive Free Space

Lite-On LTR-12101B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

(more details not worth mentioning - I think)

System Model: Asset Tag: 0123ABC

Main Circuit Board:
Bus Clock: 66 mh
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. ############

Local Drive Volumes:
c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.01 GB 10.51 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 1) 80.02 GB 48.55 GB free

Do you need more information to figure out what I am working with on
our BC (bedroom computer)?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

thanatoid

GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I was very happy with my wired hub, but had to go wireless
> when I bought the notebook. Protecting my computers and my
> internet connections were a top priority when I switched.
>
> Thanks again.

You're welcome. Re: security awareness - good to hear.

One other (very minor) thing occurred to me. If you just use an
audio cable from the MC to the BC, you can just shut off the BC
if all you do is listen to the radio. I don't know how addicted
you are (wink) but the Pioneer is like one lightbulb and the BC
is like 3 or more. Plus it's noisy.

Anyway, I hope you work it out to your satisfaction.

Regards
t.

Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> Just for kicks and giggles, as they say, I ran BeLarc Advisor in the
> BC and here is what I came up with:

> Processor:
> 950 mh AMD Duron
> 128 kb primary memory cache
> 64 kb secondary memory cache

That's the cache. What's the ram? It's over in the R column of Belarc
above the drive volumes called Memory Modules.

> Local Drive Volumes:
> c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.01 GB 10.51 GB free
> e: (NTFS on drive 1) 80.02 GB 48.55 GB free

========
news:(E-Mail Removed)

--
Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:56:44 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>> Just for kicks and giggles, as they say, I ran BeLarc Advisor in the
>> BC and here is what I came up with:

>> Processor:
>> 950 mh AMD Duron
>> 128 kb primary memory cache
>> 64 kb secondary memory cache

>That's the cache. What's the ram? It's over in the R column of Belarc
>above the drive volumes called Memory Modules.

Memory Modules:
240 Mb Installed Memory

Is that it?

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> GrandpaChuck wrote:

>>> Processor:
>>> 950 mh AMD Duron

> Memory Modules:
> 240 Mb Installed Memory
>
> Is that it?

I was just concerned about where the 'choke points' in these systems and
their networking was.

The Pentium II has enough ram but its old cpu performance has to carry
the baggage of Win XP.

The Duron is faster but if its ram were too minimal the XP was also
going to overburden it because of its bloat and overhead. 240 isn't a
lot, but it should do if there isn't any problems or resource wasting
going on.

I've run slower systems with less ram running Win98 but which were
ethernet wired to a cable modem which could handle streaming video and
audio just fine. I've done the same thing with linux systems with low
ram and cpu speed.

OTOH, my wireless connectivity system has a gizmo so that I can see the
quality of the connection, and it is designed to drop back from wireless
G to wireless B if there are problems. If the wireless starts dropping
things, then the streaming audio is going to have a problem which is
different that the resource hogging of Win XP.

I was trying to guess how I would handle the problem you are describing,
what I would do to enhance the 'effectiveness' of the Pentium box. I'm
partial to Win98 for such old systems as the pentium, so I would
probably rather that be the OS. But even more important for the
streaming audio I would be wondering how things would do if I could get
a cheap access point closer to the Pentium box. Like running an
ethernet cable into that closet you were talking about and putting the
access point in there.

--
Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:00:51 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrandpaChuck wrote:

>> Memory Modules:
>> 240 Mb Installed Memory
>>
>> Is that it?

>I was just concerned about where the 'choke points' in these systems and
>their networking was.
>
>The Pentium II has enough ram but its old cpu performance has to carry
>the baggage of Win XP.
>
>The Duron is faster but if its ram were too minimal the XP was also
>going to overburden it because of its bloat and overhead. 240 isn't a
>lot, but it should do if there isn't any problems or resource wasting
>going on.
>
>I've run slower systems with less ram running Win98 but which were
>ethernet wired to a cable modem which could handle streaming video and
>audio just fine. I've done the same thing with linux systems with low
>ram and cpu speed.
>
>OTOH, my wireless connectivity system has a gizmo so that I can see the
>quality of the connection, and it is designed to drop back from wireless
>G to wireless B if there are problems. If the wireless starts dropping
>things, then the streaming audio is going to have a problem which is
>different that the resource hogging of Win XP.

I don't think I can drop back to an older version of Windows without
formatting my hard drives, can I? I don't run much on that old
computer, but I really don't care to lose my mp3 files of our 300+ CDs
either.

>I was trying to guess how I would handle the problem you are describing,
>what I would do to enhance the 'effectiveness' of the Pentium box. I'm
>partial to Win98 for such old systems as the pentium, so I would
>probably rather that be the OS. But even more important for the
>streaming audio I would be wondering how things would do if I could get
>a cheap access point closer to the Pentium box. Like running an
>ethernet cable into that closet you were talking about and putting the
>access point in there.

I was with you until the very last sentence. I don't understand what
you mean by "running an ethernet cable into that closet...." The
closet is a bedroom closet right next to the chest of drawers the
computer sets on now. That means it is on the second floor and the
opposite end of the house from where the MC (main computer) is.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
09/18/2006 it’s 1239 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."

Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> The Pentium II has enough ram but its old cpu performance has to
>> carry the baggage of Win XP.
>>
>> The Duron is faster but if its ram were too minimal the XP was also
>> going to overburden it because of its bloat and overhead. 240 isn't
>> a lot, but it should do if there isn't any problems or resource
>> wasting going on.

>> If the wireless
>> starts dropping things, then the streaming audio is going to have a
>> problem which is different that the resource hogging of Win XP.

> I don't think I can drop back to an older version of Windows without
> formatting my hard drives, can I? I don't run much on that old
> computer, but I really don't care to lose my mp3 files of our 300+ CDs
> either.

I don't think we are sure about whether the pentium is overburdened with
the cpu and the OS or if the quality of the wireless connectivity is
inadequate for the streaming audio.

One troubleshooting measure would be to temporarily physically move that
box to a close proximity to the wireless router/hub for however long it
took to determine the quality of the streaming audio with proximity.

>> I would be wondering how things
>> would do if I could get a cheap access point closer to the Pentium
>> box. Like running an ethernet cable into that closet you were
>> talking about and putting the access point in there.

> I was with you until the very last sentence. I don't understand what
> you mean by "running an ethernet cable into that closet...." The
> closet is a bedroom closet right next to the chest of drawers the
> computer sets on now. That means it is on the second floor and the
> opposite end of the house from where the MC (main computer) is.

Oh.

Previously I interpreted a conversation as being one in which there was
going to be a wire running from the Duron computer to the Pentium
computer and there being a closet there near the pentium, so I imagined
that an ethernet cable from wireless hub/router to near the pentium was
feasible.

I guess that my strategy would have to start with my knowing if the
current hardware/OS of the pentium was adequate to perform
satisfactorily wirelessly with streaming audio. That would require a
'test' of temporarily physically approximating the pentium to the
wireless transmitter. If that result were unsatisfactory, that would
eliminate any consideration of trying to get any kind of accesspoint
closer to the existing setup.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck wrote:

> I don't think I can drop back to an older version of Windows without
> formatting my hard drives, can I? I don't run much on that old
> computer, but I really don't care to lose my mp3 files of our 300+ CDs
> either.

As a separate issue from establishing the streaming audio in the pentium
is the issue of losing mp3 files of the CD collection/s. Such mp3
work/effort/ripping should ideally be backed up by burning CDs or DVDs
of the mp3 ripping before engaging in any partitioning or such.

And yes, you could be running an older version of Win without formatting
your drives and losing the data. We see that the Duron has 2 drives of
80 and 20 G, whereas the Pentium has 2 drives of 2 and 8 G.

But, we haven't made an assessment of whether or not the pentium could
run the software you are currently using on that machine if it were
running an older Win. Most likely it could.

--
Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:57:41 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>
>> I don't think I can drop back to an older version of Windows without
>> formatting my hard drives, can I? I don't run much on that old
>> computer, but I really don't care to lose my mp3 files of our 300+ CDs
>> either.

>As a separate issue from establishing the streaming audio in the pentium
>is the issue of losing mp3 files of the CD collection/s. Such mp3
>work/effort/ripping should ideally be backed up by burning CDs or DVDs
>of the mp3 ripping before engaging in any partitioning or such.
>
>And yes, you could be running an older version of Win without formatting
>your drives and losing the data. We see that the Duron has 2 drives of
>80 and 20 G, whereas the Pentium has 2 drives of 2 and 8 G.

I am so sorry, but I had given the wrong specs for the two computers
before I ran BeLarc on them. I forgot the oldest computer we have is
the Pentium with a 4g and an 8g hd. That one is not in use at all.

The bedroom computer is the 950 megahertz AMD Duran
128 kb primary memory cache
64 kb secondary memory cache

100.4 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
59.06 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

(80.3 GB) -- drive 1, s/n
(20.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
both are listed as Status: Healthy

The Main Computer that is connected to the wireless Netgear hub is
a 1.35 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kb primary memory cache
256 kb secondary memory cache

200.4 Gigabytes Usable Had Drive Capacity
68.48 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Sorry for the mix-up.
We haven't used that old P2 for a very long time. I really do not know
why I thought that was the one in bedroom.

wrote:

>GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>> Been there; done that. The universal remote that worked on
>> it before doesn't anymore. I would almost be willing to bet
>> that when the RadioShack repair center got it they took the
>> cover off before testing and it worked fine. That leads me
>> to the possible conclusion that when the cover was put back
>> on the sensor is misaligned with the tiny window in the
>> case. Next step should be for me to disconnect the power
>> cord, remove the cover, reconnect the power cord and see if
>> the remote works. If it does then it would be a simple task
>> to realign it. At least RadioShack refunded my money I had
>> paid them to send it in.

>You mean you took the receiver to RS for repair ALONG with the
>remote? Was the light on the remote working? It's quite possible
>they screwed up something in the receiver then.

Yes. They tested the remote and said it was working fine so they said
they didn't need to send it in with the receiver to be checked.

>OTOH, I have cleaned the various remotes I use MANY times.
>Inside, they accumulate grime, cat hairs, tiny potato chip
>pieces and moisture from constant use and need a good washing
>once in a while because the membrane contacts get too gunked up.
>I clean the PC board inside with alcohol or better, a PC board
>cleaner/no-residue electronic contact cleaner, and I was
>everything else in warm soapy water. Let it dry on a paper towel
>in the sun and once completely dry, reassemble. Always works.

My wife cleans the outside of them when they look soiled. I never
thought about opening them.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-