Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > A dumb sounding home network question

Reply
Thread Tools

A dumb sounding home network question

 
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 03:25:50 +0000, GrandpaChuck Has Frothed:

> hen you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.
>
> So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me. You could have simply
> asked me some pertinent questions. Just because I am older by far than
> home computers does not mean I am senile too.
>


Just ignore mumbling Mike, he's got way too much free time on his hands.

--
Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

COOSN-266-06-25794
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:43:42 -0500, "Ali Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If the signal strength is weak, you could take steps to bolster your wireles
>connection. E.g. move the wireless hub (or is it a router) if possible
>closer to your bedroom, or install a wireless repeater at some midway point
>between the wireless hub and your computer in the bedroom. I don't know too
>much about the repeaters, so you need to do your own research. You could
>also ditch the wireless connection altoghether and run cable up to your
>bedroom.
>
>It could also be possible your problem is not with the network connection at
>all, but with your OLD computer. The interruptions could be related to how
>effective your computer is at managing the buffer. Limited system resources
>(primarily memory) could impact efficiency. With some versions of windows
>(95, 98 and ME) the OS does not always manage memory efficiently, so even if
>you have plenty of memory (128 MB or more), If you have a lot of items
>running in the background (including spyware), you've got a pretty sorry
>running system.
>


I am running WinXP Pro on the old computer (#3). It is a Pentium II,
512mb memory, 4g C drive, 8g D drive.

It's pretty much impossible to move the hub much closer. I have put it
up high on top of the computer desk so it at least is not right next
to the cable modem or my APC battery backup.

The repeaters that I have been able to find generally cost right
around $100; not an easy thing for someone on pension to justify.

I do have the plans for a Ez-12 Parabolic Reflector Template. Perhaps
I need to see about getting the parts and building one in my workshop.

BTW, thank you all who have given me constructive advise.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of September 15, 2006 is 2,682. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 115.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
09/16/2006 it’s 1237 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb
>> questions were the ones that went not asked. I hope he was
>> right. That advise has served me well for many years.
>>
>> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a
>> problem keeping connected through our old computer in the
>> bedroom. Now for the question: Can I connect to it from my
>> main computer that is wired to the wireless hub and then
>> listen to it via my home network on that bedroom computer,
>> thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?
>>
>> Thanks friends.

>
>I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
>computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the audio
>stream well due to its relatively low resources. It is connected
>directly to the web via the network, and has to do all the work
>itself. Not good if it's old.
>
>I can think of a few solutions:
>
>1)
>Put a better computer in your bedroom.


The old bugaboo money rears its ugly head.

>
>2)
>Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
>amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the "line
>out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and plug it into
>the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just play the signal,
>since no processing (well, a little) will be involved. But it
>should eliminate the problems since the MC will be processing
>the resources-hogging audio stream.


That is a thought worth consideration except it will involve drilling
two holes through the side of the house and then running that cable 8
feet to the BC across the bedroom.

>
>You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good plugs at
>a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do but it's a
>little overpriced and they do not have the best stuff) and make
>the cable or have someone make it for you for a few bucks.


I have the necessary tools and know-how to make the cable. You should
see the back of our entertainment center where we have 2 VCRs, 2DVDRs,
laser disk player, DVD player, Sony sound system, an audio/video hub
and of course the Cable box/DVR. It looks like a bowl of spaghetti
gone wild. Fortunately, I also have a good label maker so each of
those cables is marked. I can record on tape or DVDR from any source.
The only thing lacking on this one is the old 12" color TV that
allowed me to see what I was recording while watching something else.
LOL

>
>If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in color
>to your walls and attach it along where the walls meet the
>ceiling. You won't even know it's there.
>
>3)
>A variation on 2, using the same cable, possibly with an RCA
>adapter. Plug it into a stereo or blaster (with inputs) in your
>bedroom. I don't know what speakers your BC has but most people
>use two little computer speakers which are crap.


I have it hooked to our Pioneer sound system which used to be in the
living room. If I don't want to get out of bed to turn the computer
off I just reach over and turn the Pioneer off (the remote stopped
working years ago and Radio Shack said there was nothing wrong.)

> So even an
>inexpensive blaster with line-input that you can find in your
>basement or at a garage sale or at goodwill or whatever will
>probably sound a LOT better. An old stereo (receiver/speakers)
>will sound even better. Actually, even a pair of decent
>headphones from the headphone output on your BC will sound
>better than the speakers. But some people don't like headphones.
>
>Of course, if you want to change stations or anything, you will
>have to run to the MC. Still, there's a few ideas to work with.


Thank you. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

If I get it all figured out the next step is to move the BC into the
closet and leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse on the bedroom dresser
so I don't have the noise of the computer fans all night long. Ya,
like right now it takes at least 7-10 minutes for us to get to sleep.
LOL

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of September 15, 2006 is 2,682. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 115.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
09/16/2006 it’s 1237 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."


 
Reply With Quote
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
On 2006-09-16, GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> I do have the plans for a Ez-12 Parabolic Reflector Template. Perhaps
> I need to see about getting the parts and building one in my workshop.


Start with the suggested cardboard and tinfoil )
<http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
GrandpaChuck wrote:
> "Mike Easter"


>> Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.


> Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.


> Cable broadband.


>> Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each
>> other, to the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at
>> anything.


I still don't see the picture. You said the router was connected to
main computer, but I'm assuming the cable modem is the uplink for the
router.

My own broadband network is mostly wired. Sitting in this one room with
me is a cable modem, which is the uplink for a wired router Linksys
BEFSR41, and from which ethernet cables run around the room. At the end
of one of those ethernet cables sits an Airlink AP421W accesspoint to
create some wirelessness for parts of the house.

I only have one computer which is wirelessly configured with a Comp USA
54mbps wireless G PCI card and it is on a rolling computer desk. At
this moment, it is also sitting in the same wired computer room but
communicates wirelessly. If I were going to roll it into the kitchen
and talk about the quality of my wireless connectivity or its problems
or dropping streaming audio, I would be talking about how many feet and
how many walls were between the AP and the computer's external wireless
antenna.



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2006
GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
>>computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the
>>audio stream well due to its relatively low resources. It
>>is connected directly to the web via the network, and has
>>to do all the work itself. Not good if it's old.
>>
>>I can think of a few solutions:
>>
>>1)
>>Put a better computer in your bedroom.

>
> The old bugaboo money rears its ugly head.


Understood. Having read the specs of your BC in your other post,
I think the only reason you manage to run XP on it at all is
that you have 512 MB of memory. The processor is slow. No wonder
you have these audio streaming problems.


>>2)
>>Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
>>amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the
>>"line out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and
>>plug it into the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just
>>play the signal, since no processing (well, a little) will
>>be involved. But it should eliminate the problems since the
>>MC will be processing the resources-hogging audio stream.

>
> That is a thought worth consideration except it will
> involve drilling two holes through the side of the house
> and then running that cable 8 feet to the BC across the
> bedroom.


Sounds pretty minor to me. I bet you have all the tools.
And a foot long drill bit (if you even need one THAT long is
like 10 bucks.

>>You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good
>>plugs at a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do
>>but it's a little overpriced and they do not have the best
>>stuff) and make the cable or have someone make it for you
>>for a few bucks.

>
> I have the necessary tools and know-how to make the cable.
> You should see the back of our entertainment center


<SNIP>

Sounds nice. And obviously one more cable won't make ANY
difference in your life - except to allow you to listen to
radio in your bedroom.

>>If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in
>>color to your walls and attach it along where the walls
>>meet the ceiling. You won't even know it's there.


I see this didn't impress you. I have at least 20 cables like
this, all over ceilings etc. But then again I just don't care
what people think of what it look like, not that anyone ever
visits or anything to begin with.

<SNIP>

> I have it hooked to our Pioneer sound system which used to
> be in the living room. If I don't want to get out of bed to
> turn the computer off I just reach over and turn the
> Pioneer off (the remote stopped working years ago and Radio
> Shack said there was nothing wrong.)


Perfect. So all you need to do to have perfect reception is to
do the cable suggestion from MC line out to the Pioneer line in
(anything but phono) with an appropriately long 1/8" stereo to 2
RCA plugs cable.

AFA the remote you can get a cheap multi-audio remote from
OneForAll. If it doesn't work with the specific Pioneer unit you
have you can return it. Takes 5 minutes to find out.

> If I get it all figured out the next step is to move the BC
> into the closet and leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse on
> the bedroom dresser so I don't have the noise of the
> computer fans all night long. Ya, like right now it takes
> at least 7-10 minutes for us to get to sleep. LOL


Yeah, the most amazing thing about the 3 year old computer I
bought used about 1.5 years ago is the fact it makes virtually
NO noise compared to the 9-year old computer I am writing this
on, which in turn makes half the amount of noise that the 12 (or
whatever) year old 486 HP Vectra I never use anymore makes.
Built like a tank, though, the Vectra.

Have fun.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2006
On 17 Sep 2006 03:00:11 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
>>>computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the
>>>audio stream well due to its relatively low resources. It
>>>is connected directly to the web via the network, and has
>>>to do all the work itself. Not good if it's old.
>>>
>>>I can think of a few solutions:
>>>
>>>1)
>>>Put a better computer in your bedroom.

>>
>> The old bugaboo money rears its ugly head.

>
>Understood. Having read the specs of your BC in your other post,
>I think the only reason you manage to run XP on it at all is
>that you have 512 MB of memory. The processor is slow. No wonder
>you have these audio streaming problems.
>
>
>>>2)
>>>Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
>>>amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the
>>>"line out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and
>>>plug it into the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just
>>>play the signal, since no processing (well, a little) will
>>>be involved. But it should eliminate the problems since the
>>>MC will be processing the resources-hogging audio stream.

>>
>> That is a thought worth consideration except it will
>> involve drilling two holes through the side of the house
>> and then running that cable 8 feet to the BC across the
>> bedroom.

>
>Sounds pretty minor to me. I bet you have all the tools.
>And a foot long drill bit (if you even need one THAT long is
>like 10 bucks.


If I am going to do that, why not just connect the hub to that
computer via a wire rather than wireless?

>
>>>You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good
>>>plugs at a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do
>>>but it's a little overpriced and they do not have the best
>>>stuff) and make the cable or have someone make it for you
>>>for a few bucks.

>>
>> I have the necessary tools and know-how to make the cable.
>> You should see the back of our entertainment center

>
><SNIP>
>
>Sounds nice. And obviously one more cable won't make ANY
>difference in your life - except to allow you to listen to
>radio in your bedroom.
>
>>>If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in
>>>color to your walls and attach it along where the walls
>>>meet the ceiling. You won't even know it's there.

>
>I see this didn't impress you. I have at least 20 cables like
>this, all over ceilings etc. But then again I just don't care
>what people think of what it look like, not that anyone ever
>visits or anything to begin with.
>
><SNIP>
>
>> I have it hooked to our Pioneer sound system which used to
>> be in the living room. If I don't want to get out of bed to
>> turn the computer off I just reach over and turn the
>> Pioneer off (the remote stopped working years ago and Radio
>> Shack said there was nothing wrong.)

>
>Perfect. So all you need to do to have perfect reception is to
>do the cable suggestion from MC line out to the Pioneer line in
>(anything but phono) with an appropriately long 1/8" stereo to 2
>RCA plugs cable.
>
>AFA the remote you can get a cheap multi-audio remote from
>OneForAll. If it doesn't work with the specific Pioneer unit you
>have you can return it. Takes 5 minutes to find out.


Been there; done that. The universal remote that worked on it before
doesn't anymore. I would almost be willing to bet that when the
RadioShack repair center got it they took the cover off before testing
and it worked fine. That leads me to the possible conclusion that when
the cover was put back on the sensor is misaligned with the tiny
window in the case. Next step should be for me to disconnect the power
cord, remove the cover, reconnect the power cord and see if the remote
works. If it does then it would be a simple task to realign it. At
least RadioShack refunded my money I had paid them to send it in.

>
>> If I get it all figured out the next step is to move the BC
>> into the closet and leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse on
>> the bedroom dresser so I don't have the noise of the
>> computer fans all night long. Ya, like right now it takes
>> at least 7-10 minutes for us to get to sleep. LOL

>
>Yeah, the most amazing thing about the 3 year old computer I
>bought used about 1.5 years ago is the fact it makes virtually
>NO noise compared to the 9-year old computer I am writing this
>on, which in turn makes half the amount of noise that the 12 (or
>whatever) year old 486 HP Vectra I never use anymore makes.
>Built like a tank, though, the Vectra.
>
>Have fun.


Thanks. If computers do little else they keep our minds active and
keep us learning constantly.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of September 15, 2006 is 2,683. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 115.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
09/17/2006 it’s 1238 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."


 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2006
GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 17 Sep 2006 03:00:11 GMT, thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>GrandpaChuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


<SNIP>

>>>>Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
>>>>amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from
>>>>the "line out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC)
>>>>and plug it into the "line in" on the BC. Then it will
>>>>just play the signal, since no processing (well, a
>>>>little) will be involved. But it should eliminate the
>>>>problems since the MC will be processing the
>>>>resources-hogging audio stream.
>>>
>>> That is a thought worth consideration except it will
>>> involve drilling two holes through the side of the house
>>> and then running that cable 8 feet to the BC across the
>>> bedroom.

>>
>>Sounds pretty minor to me. I bet you have all the tools.
>>And a foot long drill bit (if you even need one THAT long
>>is like 10 bucks.

>
> If I am going to do that, why not just connect the hub to
> that computer via a wire rather than wireless?


I don't believe it will not make any difference if you use a
cable or wireless with your BC. The problem lies in the lack of
processing speed in your BC which is inadequate for listening to
audio streaming (let alone watching VIDEO webcasts). That's why
for the use this thread is about, you should forget about the BC
and plug an audio cable into the Pioneer.

Now, I COULD be wrong about this, since I do not know much about
networks - I just happen to think, given the information you
provided, that it is simply the slow BC causing the problems.
You have not mentioned any other problems with the network. But
it COULD be the wireless connection. I have a friend whose moron
wife started paying $50/month for a DSL so it would "help her
read her email faster" and he has basically lost his internet
connection in his office on the floor above since then. So MAYBE
it is the wireless. But I think it's the BC. You can try a cable
network connection first, and see what happens.

BTW, you DO know that most people within about 100 feet of your
wireless hub (I don't know the layout of your neighborhood) can
use your "wireless" to get on the net for free? And with a
little know-how, get inside your systems? That's one of the many
reasons I am not too crazy about wireless, let alone DSL. I'm in
no hurry. Anyway, another subject.

<SNIP>

>>AFA the remote you can get a cheap multi-audio remote from
>>OneForAll. If it doesn't work with the specific Pioneer
>>unit you have you can return it. Takes 5 minutes to find
>>out.

>
> Been there; done that. The universal remote that worked on
> it before doesn't anymore. I would almost be willing to bet
> that when the RadioShack repair center got it they took the
> cover off before testing and it worked fine. That leads me
> to the possible conclusion that when the cover was put back
> on the sensor is misaligned with the tiny window in the
> case. Next step should be for me to disconnect the power
> cord, remove the cover, reconnect the power cord and see if
> the remote works. If it does then it would be a simple task
> to realign it. At least RadioShack refunded my money I had
> paid them to send it in.


You mean you took the receiver to RS for repair ALONG with the
remote? Was the light on the remote working? It's quite possible
they screwed up something in the receiver then.

OTOH, I have cleaned the various remotes I use MANY times.
Inside, they accumulate grime, cat hairs, tiny potato chip
pieces and moisture from constant use and need a good washing
once in a while because the membrane contacts get too gunked up.
I clean the PC board inside with alcohol or better, a PC board
cleaner/no-residue electronic contact cleaner, and I was
everything else in warm soapy water. Let it dry on a paper towel
in the sun and once completely dry, reassemble. Always works.

Of course, if your remote does NOTHING (like the light does not
go on no matter what you press), something MAY have just died in
it. But they're not that expensive.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GrandpaChuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2006
On 17 Sep 2006 18:00:16 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>BTW, you DO know that most people within about 100 feet of your
>wireless hub (I don't know the layout of your neighborhood) can
>use your "wireless" to get on the net for free? And with a
>little know-how, get inside your systems? That's one of the many
>reasons I am not too crazy about wireless, let alone DSL. I'm in
>no hurry. Anyway, another subject.


The Netgear wireless hub I am using has two firewalls built in and I
have one on every computer. When I hooked up the hub I went through
the procedure with the tech support person at Netgear and he made sure
it was set up so it is secure. Then he tested it from his end enough
times to make sure it is working properly.

That problem about others being able to use your connection through a
wireless hub if it isn't properly protected was covered in a news
story by a local television station here quite some time before I
bought mine. They had a couple of high school kids who knew how to do
it drive around town to see how often they could use someone else's
internet connection through their wireless hub. It was pretty amazing
how often they could hook up.

I was very happy with my wired hub, but had to go wireless when I
bought the notebook. Protecting my computers and my internet
connections were a top priority when I switched.

Thanks again.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-
~
Americans killed in Iraq as of September 15, 2006 is 2,683. United Kingdom = 118 Other = 115.
Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
09/17/2006 it’s 1238 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2006
GrandpaChuck wrote:

> The repeaters that I have been able to find generally cost right
> around $100;


I recently shopped and shopped and found an AirLink AP421W access point
on sale for less than $20. It is ethernet wired to my router as I
described here earlier.

That story is chronicled in a 35 msg thread in this group which started
with this message:

From: "Mike Easter"
Subject: Access point shopping
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:37:30 -0700
Message-ID: <44ca9199$0$17979$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>

which snipurl link to the googlegroups archive is
http://snipurl.com/wkbs

Like you, I was distressed at the high prices everyone seeemed to want
for access points during my online shopping.

Altho' there are some details missing about the quality of your BC's
connectivity, the hardware sounds quite adequate to produce decent
streaming audio if it had a good network connection and weren't bogged
down with some kind of 'background' resource wasting.


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice on rescuing a dodgy sounding hard disk Deano Computer Support 6 01-14-2006 08:29 AM
Naming of core NASA center with the words "Mission Control Center" & mass use of religious anthem sounding word "Mission" in Context of Space Exploration & the Moon Landing Hoax moonlandinghoaxreligious@yahoo.com Digital Photography 0 09-27-2005 08:28 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion David Napierkowski Digital Photography 6 10-31-2004 11:14 PM
Best sounding MP3 Player - hd based Pastor Marc Computer Support 1 06-02-2004 07:37 PM
dumb newbie question (or newbie dumb question) Jerry C. Perl Misc 8 11-23-2003 04:11 AM



Advertisments