Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OE 6

Reply
 
 
Lombardi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2006
XP Pro SP 2 OE 6
I'm having a terrible time trying to download fonts & clip-art .About the
largest file I'm able to down load is 400 kb before getting message "Your
nntp server hasnot responded would you like to waite another 60 seconds. Is
thereany settings that lets you down load the larger files ?
Thanks for help


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2006
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:01:18 -0500, "Lombardi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>XP Pro SP 2 OE 6
>I'm having a terrible time trying to download fonts & clip-art .About the
>largest file I'm able to down load is 400 kb before getting message "Your
>nntp server hasnot responded would you like to waite another 60 seconds. Is
>thereany settings that lets you down load the larger files ?


Ditch OutHouse Express.

Use a real newsreader.

Anything but OE.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
james
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2006

"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:01:18 -0500, "Lombardi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>XP Pro SP 2 OE 6
>>I'm having a terrible time trying to download fonts & clip-art .About the
>>largest file I'm able to down load is 400 kb before getting message "Your
>>nntp server hasnot responded would you like to waite another 60 seconds.
>>Is
>>thereany settings that lets you down load the larger files ?

>
> Ditch OutHouse Express.
>
> Use a real newsreader.
>
> Anything but OE.


That will solve the problem of the error message not being displayed. The
other program will just show a slightly different error.
You need to look at what the person is trying to tell you and learn to
understand what the problem is. In this case the news server is either busy
or very slow or not working. The timeout value can be altered in OE6 to
overcome problems with slower servers. It is a problem with the server, not
the computer or OE6.
Changing to something like Forte Agent will give exactly the same result.
It will only speed up once the news server is working as it should.
You display a total lack of knowledge and have not helped the user one bit!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:38:08 +0100, "james" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That will solve the problem of the error message not being displayed. The
>other program will just show a slightly different error.
>You need to look at what the person is trying to tell you and learn to
>understand what the problem is. In this case the news server is either busy
>or very slow or not working. The timeout value can be altered in OE6 to
>overcome problems with slower servers. It is a problem with the server, not
>the computer or OE6.
>Changing to something like Forte Agent will give exactly the same result.
>It will only speed up once the news server is working as it should.
>You display a total lack of knowledge and have not helped the user one bit!


Really?

The OP is using Supernews.

So am I.

I've only once or twice encountered a error in Agent, and that was
when they had a known issue.

Likely, the default settings in Agent are better than the default
settings in OE.

I'd bet good money using a real news client would not give the same
error.

But of course, I have a total lack of knowledge.

Of course, you're using Outhouse too.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AnonyMouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2006
Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:38:08 +0100, "james" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> That will solve the problem of the error message not being displayed. The
>> other program will just show a slightly different error.
>> You need to look at what the person is trying to tell you and learn to
>> understand what the problem is. In this case the news server is either busy
>> or very slow or not working. The timeout value can be altered in OE6 to
>> overcome problems with slower servers. It is a problem with the server, not
>> the computer or OE6.
>> Changing to something like Forte Agent will give exactly the same result.
>> It will only speed up once the news server is working as it should.
>> You display a total lack of knowledge and have not helped the user one bit!

>
> Really?
>
> The OP is using Supernews.
>
> So am I.
>
> I've only once or twice encountered a error in Agent, and that was
> when they had a known issue.
>
> Likely, the default settings in Agent are better than the default
> settings in OE.
>
> I'd bet good money using a real news client would not give the same
> error.
>
> But of course, I have a total lack of knowledge.
>
> Of course, you're using Outhouse too.


No, OP is using Outhouse Express.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments