Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Control Panel double icons

Control Panel double icons

Norman Frith

Hi,
I am currently running Windows XP Pro. Tried a beta version of IE 7 and
all it did was bung up my computer, so I did a sys restore. Now I have two
internet options icons in the control panel. They both do the same thing, I
can even use them at the same time, independant of each other.
Any thoughts to as why this is? What does this mean? Do I need to remove
one of them?
TY

John Holmes

Norman Frith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Hi,
> I am currently running Windows XP Pro. Tried a beta version of IE 7
> and
> all it did was bung up my computer, so I did a sys restore. Now I have
> two internet options icons in the control panel. They both do the same
> thing, I can even use them at the same time, independant of each
> other.
> Any thoughts to as why this is? What does this mean? Do I need to
> remove
> one of them?
> TY

You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a
cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a
revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

--
Your mother was a cruel artist who prostituted herself in the Red Light
District of Amsterdam.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Norman Frith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
> I am currently running Windows XP Pro. Tried a beta version of IE 7 and
>all it did was bung up my computer, so I did a sys restore. Now I have two
>internet options icons in the control panel. They both do the same thing, I
>can even use them at the same time, independant of each other.
> Any thoughts to as why this is? What does this mean? Do I need to remove
>one of them?

Seems the restore was the problem.

Search for *.CPL delete any duplicates in the WINDOWS\system32
directory, keep them in recycle bin until you know there's no problem.

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

John Holmes wrote:
> Norman Frith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

>>Hi,
>> I am currently running Windows XP Pro. Tried a beta version of IE 7
>> and
>>all it did was bung up my computer, so I did a sys restore. Now I have
>>two internet options icons in the control panel. They both do the same
>>thing, I can even use them at the same time, independant of each
>>other.
>> Any thoughts to as why this is? What does this mean? Do I need to
>> remove
>>one of them?
>> TY
>>

> You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
> worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a
> cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a
> revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

I wish you would stop holding back your emotions and really let him know
how you feel.

BTW, The lemon juice worked wonders on the garlic , thanks.

Norman Frith

Once again a useless newsgroup with its little brown shirts. Hey u foreign
piece of *****. B*** me Fa****
news:wLjOg.26342$(E-Mail Removed)...

Norman Frith wrote:

> Once again a useless newsgroup with its little brown shirts. Hey u foreign
> piece of *****. B*** me Fa****

118118

> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wLjOg.26342$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>John Holmes wrote:
>>
>>>Norman Frith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>>You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
>>>worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a
>>>cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a
>>>revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.
>>>

>>I wish you would stop holding back your emotions and really let him know
>>how you feel.
>>
>>BTW, The lemon juice worked wonders on the garlic , thanks.

John Holmes

Brian H "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John Holmes wrote:
>> Norman Frith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>> I am currently running Windows XP Pro. Tried a beta version of IE 7
>>> and
>>>all it did was bung up my computer, so I did a sys restore. Now I have
>>>two internet options icons in the control panel. They both do the same
>>>thing, I can even use them at the same time, independant of each
>>>other.
>>> Any thoughts to as why this is? What does this mean? Do I need to
>>> remove
>>>one of them?
>>> TY
>>>

>> You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
>> worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a
>> cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench,

>> revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.
>>

> I wish you would stop holding back your emotions and really let him

know
> how you feel.
>
> BTW, The lemon juice worked wonders on the garlic , thanks.

Glad to be of any help, finally...

--
Your mother was a gap-teethed vegetable who used to meditate in a home
for the permanently baffled.

John Holmes

Norman Frith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Once again a useless newsgroup with its little brown shirts. Hey u
> foreign piece of *****. B*** me Fa****

I'd suggest you'd quit drinking.

--
Your mother was a clumsy derelict who was exhibited in a freak-show in a
political party.

AnonyMouse

Norman Frith wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently running Windows XP Pro. Tried a beta version of IE 7 and
> all it did was bung up my computer, so I did a sys restore. Now I have two
> internet options icons in the control panel. They both do the same thing, I
> can even use them at the same time, independant of each other.
> Any thoughts to as why this is? What does this mean? Do I need to remove
> one of them?
> TY

I upgraded to IE 7's beta version and am happily using it--it's been
working swimmingly for me. Do you have Service Pack 2? If you don't that
would explain the problem. No, not the double-icons problem, but it
would explain the problems with running IE7. And by the way, Pennywise's
solution seems so far the best (well, the only non-junk answer so far,
but it looks to me like it might work), so I'd try it.

You can find out what service pack you have by clicking the Start
button, then right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. The
dialog box you get says under "System:" what version you have. Once you
find this out you can hit Cancel.

If you have Service Pack 1 or no service packs (some people haven't
upgraded to SP2 yet, but if you haven't even got SP1 you are in SERIOUS
trouble security-wise, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms), you can
upgrade to SP2 by running Windows Update--somewhere in there you can get
SP2. You might want to order the CD to get it mailed to you, however, if
you have dial-up, otherwise it will take hours to download.

Once you get SP2 if you don't have it already, then you can run IE7 just
fine probably. Now if you already have SP2, then I have no idea what IE7
didn't like.

Hope this helps!

AnonyMouse

John Holmes wrote:
> Brian H "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> John Holmes wrote:
>>> Norman Frith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little
>>> worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a
>>> cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench,

>>> revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.
>>>

>> I wish you would stop holding back your emotions and really let him

> know
>> how you feel.
>>
>> BTW, The lemon juice worked wonders on the garlic , thanks.
>>

> Glad to be of any help, finally...

Would you guys just stop this completely off-topic baloney in this poor
guy's thread?!? If you're going to do this, you should at least put OT
in your subject line to tell people it's off-topic. And what did Norman
do to get yelled at for?