Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cable connexion

cable connexion

Seamus J. Wilson

Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable for
hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back until I
power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for minutes before
it reconnects.
Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
nuisance.
Thank you for help,
Seamus J. Wilson

richard

"Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable for
> hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back until
> I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for minutes
> before it reconnects.
> Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
> nuisance.
> Thank you for help,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Try noting the exact times this happens. If it's on a regular basis, most
likely the cable company has a problem.
Since it is reconnecting, I'd say it's not the fault of the modem. Call Cox
and see if you can get a newer modem.

sittingduck

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

> Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable
> for hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back
> until I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for
> minutes before it reconnects.
> Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
> nuisance.
> Thank you for help,
> Seamus J. Wilson

I had the exact same modem, and it caused me problems too. I called Comcast,
and they said that their network has been upgraded, etc. and that modem was
too old. I replaced it with a new one, and no more problems.

Mike Easter

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
> Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable
> for hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes
> back until I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec
> for minutes before it reconnects.
> Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
> nuisance.

You have 5 lights on the modem including the cable and test lights in
addition to power, PC, & data. By noting the condition of cable and
test you should be able to determine the condition of the downstream RF
carrier. See p13 of this manual.
http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/produ...u_cmmanual.pdf

There is also a troubleshooting wizard here for your modem
http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/suppo...leshooter.html

The manual doesn't say that your modem can be accessed with a browser or
that it keeps any logs internally. Most/many do; mine does. That
information is very helpful for determining these things. For example
the Toshiba PCX5000 seen at that site has wireless capability also has
browser interface and admin and router/firewall functions -- but I'm not
sure it keeps carrier connectivity logs.

The typical process between a cable modem and the cableco is that the
modem takes out a lease on an IP with the cableco network which lasts
for some number of hours. Eventually the lease expires but the modem
gets a new lease instead of losing connectivity. Generally the new
lease has the same IP as the old lease. If you are losing connectivity
often, it is up to your cableco to determine whether it is the fault of
your modem or the cableco.

Who owns your modem, you or the cableco?

--
Mike Easter

Seamus J. Wilson

Thank you for the helpful responses. I own the modem and now will contact
Cox to see if they can loan me new modem.
Best,
Seamus J. Wilson
news:45097baa$0$97246$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
>> Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable
>> for hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes
>> back until I power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec
>> for minutes before it reconnects.
>> Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
>> nuisance.

> You have 5 lights on the modem including the cable and test lights in
> addition to power, PC, & data. By noting the condition of cable and
> test you should be able to determine the condition of the downstream RF
> carrier. See p13 of this manual.
> http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/produ...u_cmmanual.pdf
>
> There is also a troubleshooting wizard here for your modem
> http://www.toshiba.com/taisnpd/suppo...leshooter.html
>
> The manual doesn't say that your modem can be accessed with a browser or
> that it keeps any logs internally. Most/many do; mine does. That
> information is very helpful for determining these things. For example
> the Toshiba PCX5000 seen at that site has wireless capability also has
> browser interface and admin and router/firewall functions -- but I'm not
> sure it keeps carrier connectivity logs.
>
> The typical process between a cable modem and the cableco is that the
> modem takes out a lease on an IP with the cableco network which lasts
> for some number of hours. Eventually the lease expires but the modem
> gets a new lease instead of losing connectivity. Generally the new
> lease has the same IP as the old lease. If you are losing connectivity
> often, it is up to your cableco to determine whether it is the fault of
> your modem or the cableco.
>
> Who owns your modem, you or the cableco?
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Who owns your modem, you or the cableco?

> I own the modem and now will
> contact Cox to see if they can loan me new modem.

It doesn't work like that.

Typically cableco/s provide one or more types of services regarding the
cable internet connxn. Some cableco/s sell/rent the internet cable
connectivity with their modem included with or without their initial
installation and do not offer a 'modemless' service in which the
customer provides the modem and its installation.

Obviously your current service involves your own modem. If you want
service with the cableco/s modem, you are going to have to make a
different deal, if one is available. The cableco isn't going to 'loan'
you a modem. They may sell you an install and a monthly service which
includes them owning the modem -- or they may suggest that if you want
to have a new modem that you should go buy one.

One of the problems with the customer owning the modem, especially in
the old days when modems ran hot and broke often, is that the old modems
were also expensive and the troubleshooting was problematic --
determining which problems were modem and which problems were cableco.

My own cableco provider doesn't even offer a different price for owning
one's own modem. There is just one internet price and it includes the
cableco owning the modem and troubleshooting the modem and its
connectivity. In the old hot modem days that led to periodic service
calls with modem replacement. I haven't had my modem replaced in a long
time now.

--
Mike Easter

G. Morgan

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:07:40 -0700, "Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Using XP Pro, MS net sw and Toshiba PCX1100 modem. Will access cable for
>hours and suddenly disconnect with cable LED off. Never comes back until I
>power it off/on. Then cable LED will flash about 5X/sec for minutes before
>it reconnects.
>Is this the fault of the old modem or Cox or some other reason. Real
>nuisance.

The modem is looking for downstream lock while the light blinks. It
goes solid once it locks. You are not getting enough signal strength
to the modem. Possible fixes are (in order):

1> Make sure the modem is connected to the FIRST splitter connected to
the cable company's "tap", the tap is inside the box outside your
house or up on the pole. For example, if you have 3 televisions
getting cable -- then the incoming line from the street should be
split by a two way splitter -- one output to your modem and the other
to a 3-way splitter that will feed the signal to the TV's.

2> That first splitter MUST be of a quality rated for digital use,
look for a 5MHz-1GHz rating on it.

3> Make sure all the fittings are properly installed and tight. Radio
Shack fittings will NOT cut it! Poorly made up fittings can account
for a huge drop in signal loss (measured in dB).

4> The type of coax cable used for the modem and main feed should be
RG6, not the RG59 that older homes were pre-wired with.

Basically, do what you can on YOUR end to get the maximum signal to
the modem. Since what you describe is signal level right on the cusp,
you probably can fix it yourself by cleaning up your connections to
the modem. You can log into most modems and see what the signal
level is, try http://192.168.100.1 or http://192.168.100.2 for the
config screen. You'll need at least 10dB for a lock on that modem
IIRC.

The cable company may have to increase the incoming signal to your
home if all else fails.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)