Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless question

Wireless question

PP@2K.com

Hi guys.

I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.

If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
there more to it than I know?

Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
time?

Thanks

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys.
>
> I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
> My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
> DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
>
> If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
> there more to it than I know?
>
> Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
> router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
> time?
>
> Thanks

You should try asking the manufacturer, but from what I know, the answer is
unlimited.
However, at some point in time, the system will probably bog down and quit
working.
Personally, I don't like built in cards. At that frequency, anything easily
blocks the signal.
I use an SMC flash drive on a cable and that makes the antenna highly
portable.
As a trucker, I would toss the cable out the window and get a better signal
than if it were inside the truck.
In a motel room, I can move it around and find the hot spot better.

Whiskers

On 2006-09-14, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
> My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
> DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
>
> If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
> there more to it than I know?

'Reasonably sure it would work' I should think. But I don't know what
TigerDirect are like as a hardware retailer or maker.

Oh, the price looks highly unlikely though - ten times as much wouldn't be
expensive.

> Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
> router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
> time?

How many have you got? Or, if you don't get your security settings right,
how many have all your neighbours got?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Synapse Syndrome

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Oh, the price looks highly unlikely though - ten times as much wouldn't be
> expensive.

I thought it was unlikely, but I had to have a quick check. It is $4.99!
And it's not some unknown brand.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2144%20ISS%20P

ss.

PP@2K.com

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:21:38 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2006-09-14, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
>> My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
>> DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
>>
>> If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work? Or is
>> there more to it than I know?

>'Reasonably sure it would work' I should think. But I don't know what
>TigerDirect are like as a hardware retailer or maker.
>
>Oh, the price looks highly unlikely though - ten times as much wouldn't be
>expensive.

It's a D-Link for $114.99 with a $110 rebate.

>> Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
>> router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
>> time?

>How many have you got? Or, if you don't get your security settings right,
>how many have all your neighbours got?

I guess that means there's no limit? I can invite all my friends over
to use it! Well, if I had friends. Maybe I'll get some friends if I
invite the neighbors over for free internet. Oh,man...PAR--TY!!

But seriously...it comes with eTrust Internet Security suite 2006,
another thing I know nothing about. Supposed to protect from virus,
spam, hackers, spyware...sounds like it does it all.

Whiskers

On 2006-09-14, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:21:38 +0100, Whiskers
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> It's a D-Link for $114.99 with a $110 rebate.

That's what I call a *rebate*!

snip

>>How many have you got? Or, if you don't get your security settings right,
>>how many have all your neighbours got?

> I guess that means there's no limit? I can invite all my friends over
> to use it! Well, if I had friends. Maybe I'll get some friends if I
> invite the neighbors over for free internet. Oh,man...PAR--TY!!

You could jam your bandwidth, if you gather enough users at once. You
might also meet up with some of the small print in your ISP's terms of
service. Or your bank account <G>

> But seriously...it comes with eTrust Internet Security suite 2006,
> another thing I know nothing about. Supposed to protect from virus,
> spam, hackers, spyware...sounds like it does it all.

That runs on a single PC; it won't have any effect on your router - you
must pay attention to the security settings for the 'wireless' connection
in the router's administration interface before you 'enable' it.

"eTrust Internet Security Suite":
<http://store.digitalriver.com/servle...on=DisplayPage
&Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=caconsu m&productID=36454100&Env=
BASE> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?A3C1240AC> I'm not interested in
such things as my operating system works properly by design )

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

PP@2K.com

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:54:39 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2006-09-14, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:21:38 +0100, Whiskers
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>snip
>
>> It's a D-Link for $114.99 with a $110 rebate.

>That's what I call a *rebate*!

Pretty good deal, huh?

Actually it's 4 different rebates, 2 from Computer Associates.

Jimmy Dean

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:48:38 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi guys.
>
>I know almost nothing about wireless networks, but here goes.
>My HP laptop has 802.11 b/g WLAN. TigerDirect is selling a wireless
>DSL router for a final price of $4.99.The router is 802.11g.
>
>If I got the router, would I be reasonably sure it would work?

Yes but you should post the actual model number.

> Or is there more to it than I know?

There's always more to know

>Also, the router has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports, just like the LinkSys
>router I'm using now. How many wireless laptops can use it at one
>time?

Essentially unlimited - that's why you must setup the security
properly: MAC address detection, WEP/WAP, turn off SID broadcast

Google "wardriving"

>Thanks

cheers

jd

Mary Cohen

From my experience, over 6 connections on one of these type (home) routers
slows the performance noticeably (by that, an occasional dropped connection
while gaming, etc...).

Tiger Direct is reputable, but make sure to download all the rebate
information pre-order, as it becomes very hard to find on the website once
youve acquired the items (they move ALOT of clearance merchandise that way).

Setting up these routers is very easy with either manufacturer online web
based support of the included manual, almost plug and play.