Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > chkdsk run???

chkdsk run???

Evan Platt

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:08:41 GMT, Luke O'Malley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running XP Home (2). I would like to run chkdsk/f on my
>external hard drive. Would you please help?

chkdsk /f <Drive>: - ie chkdsk /f F:

Ralph Wade Phillips

"Luke O'Malley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tt5Og.567$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running XP Home (2). I would like to run chkdsk/f on my
> external hard drive. Would you please help?

Open "My Computer".

Right-click on the external drive, left-click on "Properties".

Pick the "Tools" tab.

Select the "Check Now" button, where it says "This option checks the drive
for errors" or verbiage to that effect.

Select "Scan for surface errors".

As an option, select "Automatically fix file system errors".

Note: I don't do that until I'm certain it's a healthy drive B)

There you go!

Now, if you really DO want to run CHKDSK /F on your external drive,
go Start --> Run --> type in "CMD" without the quotes, and press the ENTER
key.

From there, type CHKDSK F: /F

Presuming, of course, that your external drive is drive F:. If it's not,
substitute the drive letter for the F in F: .

RwP