Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keyboard CAPS LOCK only turns off with the shift key...

Keyboard CAPS LOCK only turns off with the shift key...

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:58:55 GMT, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Without Any Hesitation, (E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:
>>> How can I tell this Windows XP piece of **** to turn the caps lock off with the
>>> caps lock key? It only turns it on, not off... the shift key turns it off
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> It's not in keyboard or accessibility or anywhere I can find... nor in any help
>>> screen...
>>>
>>> **** windose sucks ****!
>>>

>>> Xp = Extra Pathetic
>>>

>> Thanks to this post, I have learned things about the keyboard I never
>> knew existed. Since my first reply I have been looking for some help
>> for you, but like you to no avail. I am afraid thanatoid is right.
>> Good Luck.

> I'm afraid he's wrong... it's a settings somewhere, it's to keep the caps lock
> key on only if you don't hit shift... because they figure if you hit shift you
> must not know the caps lock key is already on, so it's turned off... sort of
> convoluted reverse logic...
>
> But it's well hidden... and it's driving me up the wall...

I went through everything related, and even googled for it, and came
up with nothing. There was a similar situation in a form with
keyboard problem and replacing the keyboard solved the problem.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, (E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:01:36 GMT, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Without Any Hesitation, (E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:
>>> How can I tell this Windows XP piece of **** to turn the caps lock off with the
>>> caps lock key? It only turns it on, not off... the shift key turns it off
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> It's not in keyboard or accessibility or anywhere I can find... nor in any help
>>> screen...
>>>
>>> **** windose sucks ****!
>>>

>>> Xp = Extra Pathetic
>>>

>> Thats odd, I am running the same piece of **** you are and it works
>> for me. ??

> I guess you're just an odd piece of ****... and really helpfull... really...

<g> an odd piece of **** that doesn't have an operator problem with
WinXP.

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, (E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:
> How can I tell this Windows XP piece of **** to turn the caps lock off with the
> caps lock key? It only turns it on, not off... the shift key turns it off
> instead.
>
> It's not in keyboard or accessibility or anywhere I can find... nor in any help
> screen...
>
> **** windose sucks ****!
>

> Xp = Extra Pathetic

This may get you in the ball park:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuf...ble_caps_lock/

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.Nuboy-Industries.Com

Whiskers

On 2006-09-13, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:58:55 GMT, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Without Any Hesitation, (E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:
>>> How can I tell this Windows XP piece of **** to turn the caps lock off with the
>>> caps lock key? It only turns it on, not off... the shift key turns it off
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> It's not in keyboard or accessibility or anywhere I can find... nor in any help
>>> screen...
>>>
>>> **** windose sucks ****!
>>>

>>> Xp = Extra Pathetic
>>>

>>Thanks to this post, I have learned things about the keyboard I never
>>knew existed. Since my first reply I have been looking for some help
>>for you, but like you to no avail. I am afraid thanatoid is right.
>>Good Luck.

> I'm afraid he's wrong... it's a settings somewhere, it's to keep the caps lock
> key on only if you don't hit shift... because they figure if you hit shift you
> must not know the caps lock key is already on, so it's turned off... sort of
> convoluted reverse logic...
>
> But it's well hidden... and it's driving me up the wall...

I can't help you with Windows stuff, but just for the record your system
seems to be emulating the way a mechanical typewriter keyboard works, at
least with regard to the 'Caps Lock' being released by the shift key. If
'Caps Lock' also gives you the 'shifted' characters (eg & and % and !
instead of 7 8 and 1, on a UK keyboard) from the number keys along the top
of the keyboard, then the typewriter emulation is even closer. Someone
used to a mechanical typewriter would find this perfectly normal and
'logical'.

If this phenomenon only occurs while you are using a particular program
(or 'suite' of programs), then the setting may be in that program rather
than in the 'system' settings.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

BillyBob@nospamtoday.com

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:34:25 GMT, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Without Any Hesitation, (E-Mail Removed) Wrote The Following:

>>> Thats odd, I am running the same piece of **** you are and it works
>>> for me. ??

>> I guess you're just an odd piece of ****... and really helpfull... really...
>>

><g> an odd piece of **** that doesn't have an operator problem with
>WinXP.

That's because you don't actually use your computer for any useful work, you
just use it to post "me to's" on the net...

BillyBob@examples.com

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:42:47 +0100, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can't help you with Windows stuff, but just for the record your system
>seems to be emulating the way a mechanical typewriter keyboard works, at
>least with regard to the 'Caps Lock' being released by the shift key. If
>'Caps Lock' also gives you the 'shifted' characters (eg & and % and !
>instead of 7 8 and 1, on a UK keyboard) from the number keys along the top
>of the keyboard, then the typewriter emulation is even closer. Someone
>used to a mechanical typewriter would find this perfectly normal and
>'logical'.

It doesn't capitalize the number keys, and that's the problem... If I set the
CAPSLOCK key and type a capital line with punctuation in it, when I hit the
shift for the punctuation, the caps are lost, so I have to hit caps lock again,
each time there is punctuation... it's a pain... it's worse then my old
Underwood!

>If this phenomenon only occurs while you are using a particular program
>(or 'suite' of programs), then the setting may be in that program rather
>than in the 'system' settings.

No it's a windoze setting, I just can't find it... it's weird... I remember
seeing a screen of choices for it...

Synapse Syndrome

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:42:47 +0100, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I can't help you with Windows stuff, but just for the record your system
>>seems to be emulating the way a mechanical typewriter keyboard works, at
>>least with regard to the 'Caps Lock' being released by the shift key. If
>>'Caps Lock' also gives you the 'shifted' characters (eg & and % and !
>>instead of 7 8 and 1, on a UK keyboard) from the number keys along the
>>top
>>of the keyboard, then the typewriter emulation is even closer. Someone
>>used to a mechanical typewriter would find this perfectly normal and
>>'logical'.

> It doesn't capitalize the number keys, and that's the problem... If I set
> the
> CAPSLOCK key and type a capital line with punctuation in it, when I hit
> the
> shift for the punctuation, the caps are lost, so I have to hit caps lock
> again,
> each time there is punctuation... it's a pain... it's worse then my old
> Underwood!
>
>>If this phenomenon only occurs while you are using a particular program
>>(or 'suite' of programs), then the setting may be in that program rather
>>than in the 'system' settings.

> No it's a windoze setting, I just can't find it... it's weird... I
> remember
> seeing a screen of choices for it...

I can tell you where the setting is, but if you can get there, is another
question.

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languiages Tab > Details
button > Settings Tab > Key Settings at the bottom.

On mine it is ghosted out, so you might have to try to get the language bar
working befroe you can press that button.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:42:47 +0100, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I can't help you with Windows stuff, but just for the record your system
>>>seems to be emulating the way a mechanical typewriter keyboard works, at
>>>least with regard to the 'Caps Lock' being released by the shift key. If
>>>'Caps Lock' also gives you the 'shifted' characters (eg & and % and !
>>>instead of 7 8 and 1, on a UK keyboard) from the number keys along the
>>>top
>>>of the keyboard, then the typewriter emulation is even closer. Someone
>>>used to a mechanical typewriter would find this perfectly normal and
>>>'logical'.

>> It doesn't capitalize the number keys, and that's the problem... If I
>> set the
>> CAPSLOCK key and type a capital line with punctuation in it, when I hit
>> the
>> shift for the punctuation, the caps are lost, so I have to hit caps lock
>> again,
>> each time there is punctuation... it's a pain... it's worse then my old
>> Underwood!
>>
>>>If this phenomenon only occurs while you are using a particular program
>>>(or 'suite' of programs), then the setting may be in that program rather
>>>than in the 'system' settings.

>> No it's a windoze setting, I just can't find it... it's weird... I
>> remember
>> seeing a screen of choices for it...
>>

> I can tell you where the setting is, but if you can get there, is another
> question.
>
> Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languiages Tab > Details
> button > Settings Tab > Key Settings at the bottom.
>
> On mine it is ghosted out, so you might have to try to get the language
> bar working befroe you can press that button.

Ah, I did it. You have to install more than one key layout for another
country before the button works.

HTH

ss.

BillyBobby@kanistan.com

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:17:04 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> No it's a windoze setting, I just can't find it... it's weird... I
>>> remember
>>> seeing a screen of choices for it...
>>>

>> I can tell you where the setting is, but if you can get there, is another
>> question.
>>
>> Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languiages Tab > Details
>> button > Settings Tab > Key Settings at the bottom.
>>
>> On mine it is ghosted out, so you might have to try to get the language
>> bar working befroe you can press that button.

>Ah, I did it. You have to install more than one key layout for another
>country before the button works.
>
>HTH
>
>ss.

Alright! At last!! Man can Windoze ever hide things!!

I'm going to save this post...

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!! I knew it was in Windoze!

Must have happened one time when I set the keyboard to french to get accents...

Synapse Syndrome

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I can tell you where the setting is, but if you can get there, is
>>> another
>>> question.
>>>
>>> Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languiages Tab > Details
>>> button > Settings Tab > Key Settings at the bottom.
>>>
>>> On mine it is ghosted out, so you might have to try to get the language
>>> bar working befroe you can press that button.

>>Ah, I did it. You have to install more than one key layout for another
>>country before the button works.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>ss.
>>

> Alright! At last!! Man can Windoze ever hide things!!
>
> I'm going to save this post...
>
> Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!! I knew it was in Windoze!
>
> Must have happened one time when I set the keyboard to french to get
> accents...

Unless you need to type a lot of accents you could just use charmap next
time.

Start > Run > charmap

but I'm sure you know that anyway..

ss.