Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win32.Trojan downloader

win32.Trojan downloader

sharonf

win32.Trojan downloader

Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
(win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get
it in the first place? Does anyone know?

Sharon

Evan Platt

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:44:02 -0700, sharonf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>win32.Trojan downloader
>
>Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
>anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
>(win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get
>it in the first place? Does anyone know?

No. We'd only be guessing.

You downloaded a program, installed some software, or maybe used IE
and visited a malicious site.

old man

Who knows what sites you've been visiting and what you've been
downloading/installing

"sharonf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4506f284$0$15894$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> win32.Trojan downloader
>
> Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
> anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
> (win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get
> it in the first place? Does anyone know?
>
> Sharon

sharonf

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:44:02 -0700, sharonf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> win32.Trojan downloader
>>
>> Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
>> anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
>> (win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get
>> it in the first place? Does anyone know?

> No. We'd only be guessing.
>
> You downloaded a program, installed some software, or maybe used IE
> and visited a malicious site.

I haven't downloaded anything lately. The only thing that I did do was
copy the code for a web page background for a web page and I suspect
that that is where the Trojan downloader came from. However I'm not sure
if it came from something on the site or from the code itself. I also
removed the code from the web page.

SJP

"sharonf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4506f284$0$15894$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> win32.Trojan downloader
>
> Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
> anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
> (win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get it
> in the first place? Does anyone know?
>
> Sharon

Getting the same on my Pc after the recent Adaware update (SE1R123) and
people over at news:alt.privacy.spyware reporting the same. Maybe false
positives?

shepard

SJP wrote:
> "sharonf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4506f284$0$15894$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> > win32.Trojan downloader
> >
> > Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
> > anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
> > (win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get it
> > in the first place? Does anyone know?
> >
> > Sharon

> Getting the same on my Pc after the recent Adaware update (SE1R123) and
> people over at news:alt.privacy.spyware reporting the same. Maybe false
> positives?

Yeah, I got it too after the latest Adaware Update. I too am
suspicious of a false positive as I have IE security settings well set,
run up to date Avast! antivirus, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard,
AdAware and Spybot S&D. Also very careful about what I do online.
Don't know though, as I guess we can all make a mistake. I did run
Ewido from Safe Mode though, and it did not find anything. Seems like
as strange false positive if it is. Especially since AdAware found 2
or 3 registry entries that it flagged as the Win32.Trojan.downloader
and it's agent???

shepard

SJP wrote:
> "sharonf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4506f284$0$15894$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> > win32.Trojan downloader
> >
> > Ad-Aware found it on my computer and removed it. It has never found
> > anything like this on my computer before. I know what it does
> > (win32.Trojan downloader) and how to get rid of it....but how did I get it
> > in the first place? Does anyone know?
> >
> > Sharon

> Getting the same on my Pc after the recent Adaware update (SE1R123) and
> people over at news:alt.privacy.spyware reporting the same. Maybe false
> positives?

Yeah, I got it too after the latest Adaware Update. I too am
suspicious of a false positive as I have IE security settings well set,
run up to date Avast! antivirus, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard,
AdAware and Spybot S&D. Also very careful about what I do online.
Don't know though, as I guess we can all make a mistake. I did run
Ewido from Safe Mode though, and it did not find anything. Seems like
as strange false positive if it is. Especially since AdAware found 2
or 3 registry entries that it flagged as the Win32.Trojan.downloader
and it's agent???

shepard

Found info really pointing to False Positives on this at:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...=9999~start=20

Annoying to have to spend a bunch of time dealing with a mistake on the
part of AdAware if that is what it is. Overall a great program,
though. Punishment for keeping on top of things, I guess. If I had
just waited a day to update and run AdAware, and it is indeed FP's, it
would have been easy and quick to find that out!

sharonf

> Yeah, I got it too after the latest Adaware Update. I too am
> suspicious of a false positive as I have IE security settings well set,
> run up to date Avast! antivirus, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard,
> AdAware and Spybot S&D. Also very careful about what I do online.
> Don't know though, as I guess we can all make a mistake. I did run
> Ewido from Safe Mode though, and it did not find anything. Seems like
> as strange false positive if it is. Especially since AdAware found 2
> or 3 registry entries that it flagged as the Win32.Trojan.downloader
> and it's agent???

So, what are you guys doing? I already let Ad-Aware remove them. Should
I leave it like that or remove them from quarantine? Since my first post
I also ran Ad-Aware on the other two computers in the house and the same
entries were found on those.....along with something called "Bargain
Buddy" on one of the computers.

shepard

sharonf wrote:
> So, what are you guys doing? I already let Ad-Aware remove them. Should
> I leave it like that or remove them from quarantine? Since my first post
> I also ran Ad-Aware on the other two computers in the house and the same
> entries were found on those.....along with something called "Bargain
> Buddy" on one of the computers.

I did not restore anything. In fact my quarantine is empty. So far
Imy computer does not seem to miss the 2 entries for the trojan and the
1 entry for BargainBuddies. Hope all continues to run ok!

eXact.downloader =?Utf-8?B?ZmFuYm90?= Microsoft Certification 0 05-14-2005 02:08 AM
File Upload/Downloader BW ASP .Net 1 03-09-2005 05:57 PM
downloader.small.ad virus kerplunKuK Computer Support 2 08-20-2003 03:33 AM
Re: The worlds safest downloader? Max Quordlepleen Computer Support 3 08-04-2003 11:43 PM
Re: The worlds safest downloader? °Mike° Computer Support 0 08-04-2003 07:09 PM

Advertisments