Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Nirsoft.net - mail passview - trojan or not?

Nirsoft.net - mail passview - trojan or not?

thenderson32102@nospam222.org

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

The author states that some programs detect a false trojan in it.
Avast certainly did.

9/10/2006 5:49:22 PM 1660 Sign of "Win32:MailPassView [Tool]" has been
found in "d:\mailpv.zip\mailpv.exe\[UPX]" file.

I submitted it to Virustotal. Kaspersky didn't find anything while
Bitdefender gave it an application rating.

> File: mailpv.exe

Therefore, this file's scan results will not be stored in the database)

> MD5 aeaf4c30722cc779448adf1831ec5790
> Packers detected: UPX
> Scanner results
> AntiVir Found SecurityPrivacyRisk/PSW.MailPass riskware
> ArcaVir Found nothing
> Avast Found Win32:MailPassView
> AVG Antivirus Found nothing
> BitDefender Found nothing
> ClamAV Found nothing
> Dr.Web Found Tool.PassView
> F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
> Fortinet Found HackerTool/MailPassView
> Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found not-a-virusSWTool.Win32.MailPassView.130
> NOD32 Found Win32/RiskWare.PSWTool.MailPassView.136 application
> Norman Virus Control Found nothing
> UNA Found nothing
> VirusBuster Found nothing
> VBA32 Found nothing

Here's the Jotti scan:

> AntiVir Found SecurityPrivacyRisk/PSW.MailPass riskware
> ArcaVir Found nothing
> Avast Found Win32:MailPassView
> AVG Antivirus Found nothing
> BitDefender Found nothing
> ClamAV Found nothing
> Dr.Web Found Tool.PassView
> F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
> Fortinet Found HackerTool/MailPassView
> Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found not-a-virusSWTool.Win32.MailPassView.130
> NOD32 Found Win32/RiskWare.PSWTool.MailPassView.136 application
> Norman Virus Control Found nothing
> UNA Found nothing
> VirusBuster Found nothing
> VBA32 Found nothing

Once again, several respected freeware sites recommend this program.

Siteadvisor gives it a trojan rating, yet the mods they list here make
the program look pretty benign. The internet leads to some great
research, but between this program and Ultimate Boot CD, it can leave one
in a quandry.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/nir...nloads/642095/

Any comments?

Malke

> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html
>
> The author states that some programs detect a false trojan in it.
> Avast certainly did.

(snip)

The programs at Nirsoft are safe. They do produce false positives with
many av's and have done for years. If you are uncomfortable using them
(although they are not viruses), don't use them.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html
>
> The author states that some programs detect a false trojan in it.

Please read the above line.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/