Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Does anyone here use Google? Technical Question

Does anyone here use Google? Technical Question

Wereo_SUPREMACY

I'm looking for a regular google help forum. I can't find one but I
have a simple question.

When I read the regular google groups I want the last topic replied to
to appear at the top of my screen. I can't find the configuration
button in order to make that happen. Does anyone know where it is? I
was doing ok on my old computer which had Windows 98 installed but this

new one has Windows XP and for the life of me I can't find the switch
to put the newly-replied topics to the top of my screen.

Thanks for your help, Scott.

Mike Easter

Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
> I'm looking for a regular google help forum. I can't find one but I
> have a simple question.

Googlegroups has help groups
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide and a big help
section http://groups.google.com/support?hl=en

But for usenet groups which aren't 'google(only)groups' you would be
better off using a newsreader instead of googlegroups' browser
interface.

> When I read the regular google groups I want the last topic replied to
> to appear at the top of my screen. I can't find the configuration
> button in order to make that happen. Does anyone know where it is?

On the left you have a my groups, my profile, and my topics links.
Newsgroup interacting in google's interface is not very configurable.

If your connectivity provider doesn't provide you with a newsserver
included in the cost of your internet access, there are free ones and
cheap ones and commercial ones. There are plenty of ways to access a
real nntp newsserver instead of using google.

You need a nntp newsserver and an nntp newsagent such as Outlook Express
or Thunderbird to do that. What is your mail agent?

--
Mike Easter

Wereo_SUPREME

Mike Easter wrote:
> Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
> > I'm looking for a regular google help forum. I can't find one but I
> > have a simple question.

> Googlegroups has help groups
> http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide and a big help
> section http://groups.google.com/support?hl=en
>
> But for usenet groups which aren't 'google(only)groups' you would be
> better off using a newsreader instead of googlegroups' browser
> interface.
>
> > When I read the regular google groups I want the last topic replied to
> > to appear at the top of my screen. I can't find the configuration
> > button in order to make that happen. Does anyone know where it is?

> On the left you have a my groups, my profile, and my topics links.
> Newsgroup interacting in google's interface is not very configurable.
>
> If your connectivity provider doesn't provide you with a newsserver
> included in the cost of your internet access, there are free ones and
> cheap ones and commercial ones. There are plenty of ways to access a
> real nntp newsserver instead of using google.
>
> You need a nntp newsserver and an nntp newsagent such as Outlook Express
> or Thunderbird to do that. What is your mail agent?
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Hi Mike, yes I'm familiar with the NNTP and they're a lot better than
Google for most things. It's just that on my other set I was able to
easliy find the change I want as pertaiing to Google. For some reason I
can't find it on my new set. I'll keep looking.

samuel

"Wereo_SUPREME" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Wereo_SUPREMACY wrote:
>> > I'm looking for a regular google help forum. I can't find
>> > one but I have a simple question.

google.public.support.general

>> Googlegroups has help groups
>> http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide and a big
>> help section http://groups.google.com/support?hl=en
>>
>> But for usenet groups which aren't 'google(only)groups' you
>> would be better off using a newsreader instead of
>> googlegroups' browser interface.
>>
>> > When I read the regular google groups I want the last topic
>> > replied to to appear at the top of my screen. I can't find
>> > the configuration button in order to make that happen. Does
>> > anyone know where it is?

>> On the left you have a my groups, my profile, and my topics
>> links. Newsgroup interacting in google's interface is not
>> very configurable.
>>
>> If your connectivity provider doesn't provide you with a
>> newsserver included in the cost of your internet access,
>> there are free ones and cheap ones and commercial ones.
>> There are plenty of ways to access a real nntp newsserver
>> instead of using google.
>>
>> You need a nntp newsserver and an nntp newsagent such as
>> Outlook Express or Thunderbird to do that. What is your mail
>> agent?
>>

>> --
>> Mike Easter

> Hi Mike, yes I'm familiar with the NNTP and they're a lot
> better than Google for most things. It's just that on my other
> set I was able to easliy find the change I want as pertaiing
> to Google. For some reason I can't find it on my new set. I'll
> keep looking.

Mike Easter

samuel wrote:

> google.public.support.general

That particular 'google-only' ng propagates to several of the nntp
newsservers I use.

--
Mike Easter

richard

"Wereo_SUPREMACY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm looking for a regular google help forum. I can't find one but I
> have a simple question.
>
> When I read the regular google groups I want the last topic replied to
> to appear at the top of my screen. I can't find the configuration
> button in order to make that happen. Does anyone know where it is? I
> was doing ok on my old computer which had Windows 98 installed but this
>
> new one has Windows XP and for the life of me I can't find the switch
> to put the newly-replied topics to the top of my screen.
>
> Thanks for your help, Scott.

So spend a few bucks and go with a full service that has a web interface.
Newsguy has one that is fully configurable. Rather cheap too. $40 for a
year?
www.newsguy.com

Wereo_SUPREME

richard wrote:
> "Wereo_SUPREMACY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > I'm looking for a regular google help forum. I can't find one but I
> > have a simple question.
> >
> > When I read the regular google groups I want the last topic replied to
> > to appear at the top of my screen. I can't find the configuration
> > button in order to make that happen. Does anyone know where it is? I
> > was doing ok on my old computer which had Windows 98 installed but this
> >
> > new one has Windows XP and for the life of me I can't find the switch
> > to put the newly-replied topics to the top of my screen.
> >
> > Thanks for your help, Scott.
> >

> So spend a few bucks and go with a full service that has a web interface.
> Newsguy has one that is fully configurable. Rather cheap too. $40 for a
> year?
> www.newsguy.com

I'm sure I can do well with newsguy. The thing is I want to find out
why for now I can't configure this gogg thing to my liking. I must be
overlooking something.