Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > want to replace a read only cd transport with read / write transport

want to replace a read only cd transport with read / write transport

larya

Greetings....
I hope the subject says it all....
My computer is a etower 533...
I can't find a manufactureer's name....
Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website
do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...
Larry

why?

On 10 Sep 2006 09:14:17 -0700, larya wrote:

>Greetings....
>I hope the subject says it all....

Close enough, but it's a guess the subject is about the body of the
message

>My computer is a etower 533...
>I can't find a manufactureer's name....

IIRC, eMachines.

You can www.google.com for that, if it is then there should be upgrade
info.

>Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
>read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website

That's what I have always done, so far the OS and the burning software
hasn't needed updated and it's always worked.

>do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...
>Larry

Me

SJP

"larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings....
> I hope the subject says it all....
> My computer is a etower 533...
> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
> read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website
> do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...

http://www.emachines.com/

Buy thecd.dvd writer of your choice and if it has a spare bay fit it as well
as the cd drive you already have. If not then replace the cd drive with the
new one after setting slave/master/cs link

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Sections-article4-.phtml

richard

"larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings....
> I hope the subject says it all....
> My computer is a etower 533...
> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and inserting a
> read / write one in or do I need software drivers... if so what website
> do I go to.. who manufactured this computer?...
> Larry

Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
Besides, now you have portability to use it on other machines.

I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all USB. Including one
which does it all including DVD-RAM.
When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

thanatoid

"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Greetings....
>> I hope the subject says it all....
>> My computer is a etower 533...
>> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
>> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and
>> inserting a read / write one in or do I need software
>> drivers... if so what website do I go to.. who
>> manufactured this computer?... Larry
>>

> Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
> Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
> Besides, now you have portability to use it on other
> machines.
>
> I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all USB.
> Including one which does it all including DVD-RAM.
> When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

Send her the $200 (or whatever the price difference between
internal and external is) and I'm sure she'll be happy to follow
your advice.

richard

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>> Greetings....
>>> I hope the subject says it all....
>>> My computer is a etower 533...
>>> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
>>> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and
>>> inserting a read / write one in or do I need software
>>> drivers... if so what website do I go to.. who
>>> manufactured this computer?... Larry
>>>

>> Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
>> Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
>> Besides, now you have portability to use it on other
>> machines.
>>
>> I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all USB.
>> Including one which does it all including DVD-RAM.
>> When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

> Send her the $200 (or whatever the price difference between
> internal and external is) and I'm sure she'll be happy to follow
> your advice.

Maybe years ago. Not today. The difference might be something like $50 at
the most.
My solution to that is to buy an internal drive, and a usb box.

thanatoid

"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> "larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com.
>>> ..
>>>>

>>> Why bother removing it? Got a USB port?
>>> Buy an external USB drive, plug it in and forget it.
>>> Besides, now you have portability to use it on other
>>> machines.
>>>
>>> I have a laptop and several hard drives which are all
>>> USB. Including one which does it all including DVD-RAM.
>>> When I want one I just power it up and plug it in.

>> Send her the $200 (or whatever the price difference
>> between internal and external is) and I'm sure she'll be
>> happy to follow your advice.

> Maybe years ago. Not today. The difference might be
> something like $50 at the most.

Since I have no life, I checked newegg. You are right on target,
I was WAY off. Still...

External CD burners range from $38.99 [OUT OF STOCK] to under
$400.

That $38.99 LiteOn burner is not only OOS, but also the ONLY
external CD (NOT DVD) burner available. BION, some people are
NOT interested in burning DVD's, especially now as the format
wars are again getting a little ridiculous and the future is
rather uncertain.

The cheapest external CD/DVD burner is about $70 but the brand
name is "FANTOM DRIVES". Hmmm...

The cheapest INTERNAL CD-AND-DVD burners are UNDER $19.00, from
LiteOn, LG and Sony.

> My solution to that is to buy an internal drive, and a usb
> box.

HUH?

thanatoid

"larya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Greetings....
> I hope the subject says it all....
> My computer is a etower 533...
> I can't find a manufactureer's name....
> Is this as easy as just taking the existing one out and
> inserting a read / write one in or do I need software
> drivers... if so what website do I go to.. who manufactured
> this computer?... Larry

It is a matter of opening the computer, disconnecting two or
three cables of varying sizes (one IS a little hard to pull out)
and two or four screws (possibly none, depending on the
machine), and then doing the reverse with the new drive. All
CD/DVD drives come with software, should you need it, but you
probably won't.

I checked www.newegg.com.

The cheapest INTERNAL CD-AND-DVD burners are UNDER $19.00, from
LiteOn, LG and Sony. Those are all good brands. I have been
using two LG's for years and they work perfectly.

External CD burners range from $38.99 [OUT OF STOCK] to under
$400.

The $38.99 LiteOn burner is not only OOS, but also the ONLY