Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Taskbar is unresponsive at startup

Taskbar is unresponsive at startup

StartUp

Am using a WinXP Pro (version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 -
SMBIOS 2.3) system: Dell Dimension 8400 - 3.4GHz, 2 GB RAM. Over the
last couple of weeks, when I restarted my computer, sometimes the
taskbar would be unresponsive.

If a window is opened, it does become highlighted in the taskbar, but
clicking anything on the taskbar has no effect, except that the
taskbar seems to know that it has been "selected" (that open window
that had been highlighted becomes un-highlighted until clicked-on
again).

Clicking anything on the taskbar - Start, an open window "button",
icons on the far right of the taskbar - seems to select or highlight
the taskbar but nothing at all happens.

Everything else works OK. The desktop shortcuts open programs OK.
Ctrl/Esc does the same as clicking on Start, and gives me access to my
programs.

Tonight I installed a new program (GigStudio3) which installed fine
but crashed upon running. (*Perhaps* the crash was caused by the fact
that GS3 does not support Hyper Threading, and hyperthreading had not
yet been disabled in my BIOS.)

Whatever the cause of the crash, since then the taskbar is
unresponsive upon startup every single time.

BTW, Windows Task Manager shows CPU useage to be normal, not overly
high.

All suggestions for restoring my taskbar to normal will be greatly
appreciated.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

StartUp

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:55:01 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> StartUp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>when I restarted my computer, sometimes the
>>taskbar would be unresponsive.
>>
>>If a window is opened, it does become highlighted in the taskbar, but
>>clicking anything on the taskbar has no effect, except that the
>>taskbar seems to know that it has been "selected" (that open window
>>that had been highlighted becomes un-highlighted until clicked-on
>>again).

>Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

WOW! Seems to have worked! Thank you *very* much!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

StartUp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 01:55:01 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> StartUp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>when I restarted my computer, sometimes the
>>>taskbar would be unresponsive.
>>>
>>>If a window is opened, it does become highlighted in the taskbar, but
>>>clicking anything on the taskbar has no effect, except that the
>>>taskbar seems to know that it has been "selected" (that open window
>>>that had been highlighted becomes un-highlighted until clicked-on
>>>again).

>>Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

>WOW! Seems to have worked! Thank you *very* much!

With nods to Kelly, be sure to check her site if you have any other
problems http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm