Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive Crash

Hard Drive Crash

ljsteel

I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

Au79

ljsteel wrote:

> I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
> crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
> they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
> tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
> of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
> business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

There are a number of forensic data recovery shops, but they will all be
rather pricey. Google for several and shop around.

http://free.thelinuxstore.ca/

Walter Mautner

ljsteel enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

> I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
> crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated
> that they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick
> or tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that
> kind of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a
> small business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard
> drive.

You can recover some data if you
- know about knopöix liveCD, dd_rescue
- can assemble a 2nd harddrive
- the crashed harddrive still is recognized by the bios and readable by
sectors

But then, that all will take lots of your time and some money (to gain
knowledge, make a "forensic" image, mount that or copy to a 2nd drive,
and try some data recovery software, eventually buy one that promises
to fulfill your needs, and sort the data you'll hopefully get in the
end) and you must decide if it is worth that, included the risk you
completely hose it and discover the drive doesn't spin up for another
try.

old man

Just an observation;
The primary tip is to backup data, before you loose it, which at some point
you will, as you have found out - to your cost

"ljsteel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
> crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
> they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
> tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
> of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
> business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

olfart

"ljsteel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
> crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
> they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
> tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
> of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
> business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

You might try the freezer trick.....place the drive in a ziplock bag and put
in freezer. Then remove , connect to computer and see if it works. I've
never tried this-so check the google archives of this newsgroup for more
info. You can't make things worse than they already are and you might
retrieve some data in the process

Ron Martell

"ljsteel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
>crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
>they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
>tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
>of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
>business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

How badly is it crashed?

If the drive is dead, that is it is not even detected as a hard drive
by the computer's BIOS, then you need a Data Recovery service.

If the drive is recognized by the computer but will not boot because
of errors, bad sectors, etc then it may be repairable to the point
where some data recovery would be possible by using Spinrite from
Gibson Research (www.grc.com). That program has worked wonders for
me on many crashed hard drives, but it can be quite slow. One
instance I remember was a 4 gb hard drive where it took Spinrite 78
hours (3 days +) to finish scanning the drive and recovering data from
damaged sectors. But in the end I was able to get over 98% of the
customer's data off the drive, including all of his accounting files.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

02befree

The freezer trick does work at times, I suggested it to a friend a few weeks
ago and he emailed me back last week and it worked perfect. The drive
lasted 7 hours and he was able to image it and do a full recovery.
I've used File Scavenger with great results, and anything developed by
Gibson Research, as mentioned below, I have a lot of faith in. If the hard
drive spins, there's always hope besides the thousand dollar solution.
Best of luck, been there. Get yourself a 20 dollar USB hard drive enclosure
and a big ol' IDE hard drive that is selling for cheap and get on a backup
schedule. Make it easy and you'll do it. Burning CDs/DVD's just is too
time consuming and lots of people skip doing it.

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ljsteel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
> > crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
> > they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
> > tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
> > of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
> > business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.
> >

> You might try the freezer trick.....place the drive in a ziplock bag and

put
> in freezer. Then remove , connect to computer and see if it works. I've
> never tried this-so check the google archives of this newsgroup for more
> info. You can't make things worse than they already are and you might
> retrieve some data in the process

ProfGene

ljsteel wrote:
> I have a dell that is about 3 years old and the hard drive recently
> crashed. I called up a support team that dell uses and they stated that
> they would charge me $2500 to retrieve the data. Is there a trick or
> tip that someone know that I could do without having to spend that kind
> of money? I have several things that are importance to me and a small
> business that I would like to gather and place on my new hard drive.

There are companies that can be found with a web search that specialize
in this. You should find one that is much cheaper than what Dell quoted.