Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > lost my favourites

lost my favourites

Jean-Pierre Gauthier

I'm into newbie land here for I am trying something new (to me).

I made a user account for my grand daughter and added a password for
mine (administrator) at the same time.

All works well except that I lost all my favourites in my IE. How do I
get these back?

Also, I seem to have lost all my cookies.....!

What did I do wrong please?

Jean-Pierre Gauthier

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Jean-Pierre Gauthier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm into newbie land here for I am trying something new (to me).
>
>I made a user account for my grand daughter and added a password for
>mine (administrator) at the same time.
>
>All works well except that I lost all my favourites in my IE. How do I
>get these back?
>
>Also, I seem to have lost all my cookies.....!
>
>What did I do wrong please?

Assuming XP.

First you need to see the files
Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View
Select show hidden files, Unselect Hide Extenstions, Hide protected
system files (you will get an alert press ok) Apply and OK

Start | Run <type in> %USERPROFILE% <enter> This is your profile.

With Windows Explorer go to the directory: C:\Documents and Settings
Each sub directory there is a user profile, Find your old cookies and
Favorites within a profile and copy them to your profile.

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

malware.magnet@gmail.com

Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
> I'm into newbie land here for I am trying something new (to me).
>
> I made a user account for my grand daughter and added a password for
> mine (administrator) at the same time.
>
> All works well except that I lost all my favourites in my IE. How do I
> get these back?
>
> Also, I seem to have lost all my cookies.....!
>
> What did I do wrong please?
>
> Jean-Pierre Gauthier

Not sure... unless you inadvertently created a second profile. You
could go to C:\Documents and Settings\ then look around for a
duplicate profile or one with a suffix. One one be "Administrator" and
the other might be "Administrator.WORKGROUP" or some such. Your
favorites are probably in the profile without the suffix... just a
guess.

ProfGene

Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
> I'm into newbie land here for I am trying something new (to me).
>
> I made a user account for my grand daughter and added a password for
> mine (administrator) at the same time.
>
> All works well except that I lost all my favourites in my IE. How do I
> get these back?
>
> Also, I seem to have lost all my cookies.....!
>
> What did I do wrong please?
>
> Jean-Pierre Gauthier

You don't need your cookies except on certain sites that will
automatically log you in or go to the place or settings that you want
and you can get these back by if you just go to the sites and log in or
choose the settings you want, then these cookies will work again.

ProfGene

Jean-Pierre Gauthier wrote:
> I'm into newbie land here for I am trying something new (to me).
>
> I made a user account for my grand daughter and added a password for
> mine (administrator) at the same time.
>
> All works well except that I lost all my favourites in my IE. How do I
> get these back?
>
> Also, I seem to have lost all my cookies.....!
>
> What did I do wrong please?
>
> Jean-Pierre Gauthier

You probably can't get them back but you should back them up next time.
You can do this by copying them from the Documents and Settngs folder
where you will see the favorites folder. Then you can copy them and
make a backup folder. Your cookies will come back as you go to each site
where you got them from. Most of the time you don't want cookies but
they are handy for sites you go to a lot so you don't have to log in.