Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > General question about studying

General question about studying

Davor Dzorlev

But you have to see some real test environment as also the lab environment
(hands on), cause it is better to se how the tests looks like, than to do it
by burning the money and time on trying the real exams. I mean that it is
nice to see if you can handle the pressure and to finish on time the real
exam. Don't forget that not all candidates speak native English, so they
must to try before they go to exam. I don't look on this as the primary way
to prepare for the exam, but as a supplement to real learning, lab practice
and real world experience. Test King and some other test tools (Transcender
for example) also gives the explanation (not just correct answer), so you
can find if you have missed up something in your learning. It is normal that
everybody is missing some experience and meets some issues for the first
time in certification learning and preparation, then it is very possible
that he/she can also miss some important stuff on the real exam.

"Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Test King uses dumps--actual exams to prepare their guides.
> They are not test guides, they are cheat sheets.
>
> --
> Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
> Associate Expert
> http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
> "Davor Dzorlev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Please explain why Test King's tests are cheating?
> >
> > "Brat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bp0fv7$rtm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > your copy of Test King is also cheating
> > >
> > > "mcglinchey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

w2k

Kit,

|{evin

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:04:50 +0100, "Davor Dzorlev"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>can find if you have missed up something in your learning. It is normal that
>everybody is missing some experience and meets some issues for the first
>time in certification learning and preparation, then it is very possible
>that he/she can also miss some important stuff on the real exam.

Um... yeah. It is also possible to miss things in real life. Having
the certification is supposed to mean that you HAVE the experience.
That's kind of the point.

The object is not to 'fill in the gaps' with memorized answers.

Davor Dzorlev

Yes but that process in real life of miss things and find out about them is
also known as a gaining an experience. Obviously you have the rare gift to
be born experienced and that's why you are so surprised on this phenomenon.
I see, in case you stuck somewhere in your work I guess you won't post your
sorrow here, but you will turn to your talent. And Yes the certification is
"supposed to mean that you HAVE the experience", but in the real life it
reflects that you have "enough knowledge" (not real experience) to take the
certification (not all certifications, but most). And the main purpose (for
IT professional) is to succeed in the career more easy. Otherwise, you won't
probably certificate just for your satisfaction, to confirm your experience,
to impress your parents or girlfriend. Don't be so romantic. But you are
right about not to 'fill in the gaps' with memorized answers, but with some
real knowledge and practice.

"|{evin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:04:50 +0100, "Davor Dzorlev"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >can find if you have missed up something in your learning. It is normal

that
> >everybody is missing some experience and meets some issues for the first
> >time in certification learning and preparation, then it is very possible
> >that he/she can also miss some important stuff on the real exam.

> Um... yeah. It is also possible to miss things in real life. Having
> the certification is supposed to mean that you HAVE the experience.
> That's kind of the point.
>
> The object is not to 'fill in the gaps' with memorized answers.

|{evin

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:53:21 +0100, "Davor Dzorlev"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes but that process in real life of miss things and find out about them is
>also known as a gaining an experience. Obviously you have the rare gift to
>be born experienced and that's why you are so surprised on this phenomenon.

Um, no. I was an admin for about 6 years and a developer for about 3
years before I decided to get my MCSE and MCSD.

>I see, in case you stuck somewhere in your work I guess you won't post your
>sorrow here, but you will turn to your talent. And Yes the certification is

Google is my friend. I also have a network of experienced friends...
when one of us runs up against something that stumps us...
collaboration is only a phone call away.

>"supposed to mean that you HAVE the experience", but in the real life it
>reflects that you have "enough knowledge" (not real experience) to take the
>certification (not all certifications, but most). And the main purpose (for
>IT professional) is to succeed in the career more easy. Otherwise, you won't

Yep.

>probably certificate just for your satisfaction, to confirm your experience,
>to impress your parents or girlfriend. Don't be so romantic. But you are
>right about not to 'fill in the gaps' with memorized answers, but with some
>real knowledge and practice.

I'm not sure if we're agreeing or arguing here... my point was that
cheating to 'fill in the missing' experience is not acceptable.

Davor Dzorlev

I don't know what to say. Lucky you!
You had an ideal conditions to certify. But for most cases today, it is very
rare for someone to give you a job for an administrator without having some
certification. And how can you gain such experience without working?! By
practice in your home lab for several years or maintaining some school
network several years for free? It goes like that story about the chicken
and the egg. Anyway we are not arguing but discussing, and I completely
agree against cheating.

"|{evin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:53:21 +0100, "Davor Dzorlev"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Yes but that process in real life of miss things and find out about them

is
> >also known as a gaining an experience. Obviously you have the rare gift

> >be born experienced and that's why you are so surprised on this

phenomenon.

> Um, no. I was an admin for about 6 years and a developer for about 3
> years before I decided to get my MCSE and MCSD.
>
> >I see, in case you stuck somewhere in your work I guess you won't post

your
> >sorrow here, but you will turn to your talent. And Yes the certification

is

> Google is my friend. I also have a network of experienced friends...
> when one of us runs up against something that stumps us...
> collaboration is only a phone call away.
>
> >"supposed to mean that you HAVE the experience", but in the real life it
> >reflects that you have "enough knowledge" (not real experience) to take

the
> >certification (not all certifications, but most). And the main purpose

(for
> >IT professional) is to succeed in the career more easy. Otherwise, you

won't

> Yep.
>
> >probably certificate just for your satisfaction, to confirm your

experience,
> >to impress your parents or girlfriend. Don't be so romantic. But you are
> >right about not to 'fill in the gaps' with memorized answers, but with

some
> >real knowledge and practice.

> I'm not sure if we're agreeing or arguing here... my point was that
> cheating to 'fill in the missing' experience is not acceptable.

|{evin

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 03:50:21 +0100, "Davor Dzorlev"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know what to say. Lucky you!
>You had an ideal conditions to certify. But for most cases today, it is very
>rare for someone to give you a job for an administrator without having some
>certification. And how can you gain such experience without working?! By
>practice in your home lab for several years or maintaining some school
>network several years for free? It goes like that story about the chicken
>and the egg. Anyway we are not arguing but discussing, and I completely
>agree against cheating.

I never said I started my career as an admin... I just I had been
doing it that long before getting certified. I did a lot of other work
such as volunteering to change backup tapes, pulling cable, helpdesk,
desktop, etc before getting the admin work.

Politician Spock

There are plenty of practice test resources that are legitimate and give you
exactly what you are seeking in preparing for the tests. Test King however
uses braindumps to form their questions. They are located in Pakistan so
that Microsoft has little resource to sue them for their business practices.

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

"Davor Dzorlev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23I$(E-Mail Removed)...
> But you have to see some real test environment as also the lab environment
> (hands on), cause it is better to se how the tests looks like, than to do

it
> by burning the money and time on trying the real exams. I mean that it is
> nice to see if you can handle the pressure and to finish on time the real
> exam. Don't forget that not all candidates speak native English, so they
> must to try before they go to exam. I don't look on this as the primary

way
> to prepare for the exam, but as a supplement to real learning, lab

practice
> and real world experience. Test King and some other test tools

(Transcender
> for example) also gives the explanation (not just correct answer), so you
> can find if you have missed up something in your learning. It is normal

that
> everybody is missing some experience and meets some issues for the first
> time in certification learning and preparation, then it is very possible
> that he/she can also miss some important stuff on the real exam.
>
> "Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Test King uses dumps--actual exams to prepare their guides.
> > They are not test guides, they are cheat sheets.
> >
> > --
> > Larry Samuels MS-MVP (Windows-Shell/User)
> > Associate Expert
> > Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~larrysamuels/WS2003FAQ.htm
> > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > "Davor Dzorlev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Please explain why Test King's tests are cheating?
> > >
> > > "Brat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bp0fv7$rtm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> w2k

> Kit,

highly

Politician Spock

"Davor Dzorlev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And Yes the certification is
> "supposed to mean that you HAVE the experience", but in the real life it
> reflects that you have "enough knowledge" (not real experience) to take

the
> certification (not all certifications, but most).

No, in real life a DEGREE reflects that you have "enough knowledge" (not
real experience) to take AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB (not all degrees, but most).
Once you have added experience to your knowledge, you are ready to get
certified. When too many people without experience hold a certification, the
certification itself holds less value to the marketplace.

--
Politician Spock
MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

2003 Star Trek Federation. All rights reserved.

mcglinchey

OK, now I'm really confused. Why would a Test King study guide
without a single question in it be cheating?

Laura

"Brat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bp0fv7$rtm$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> your copy of Test King is also cheating
>
> "mcglinchey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello all! I've been in IT for 6 years and have been working with w2k
> > for the past year. I'm going for 70-215 shortly and have been
> > studying a bunch! (A Test King study guide, Microsoft's Training Kit,
> > etc.) I've also been looking at alot of cert websites. I was
> > wondering tho....it seems that "braindumps" are not looked to highly
> > upon. Is using them cheating?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Laura

mcglinchey

I agree that using actual questions would be cheating. So what are
some good resources for *practice* questions that aren't actually
stolen from the test?

Thanks,
Laura