Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Very slow startup

Very slow startup

Lepak Nerat

Hiya, little time lurker first time poster, so here goes:

AMD 4600 X2 chip
2 IDE HDD (one on a IDE PCI expansion card)
2 SATA HDD (all HDD 7200 spin, different makes and data transfer rates)
2 Optical drives (1 SATA)
floppy
MOBO sound and network onboard, used
3GB 6400 Corsair RAM
7950 GFX

Boots to Win XP logo (splash screen) fairly quick, then loads sound
drivers, then loads my desktop picture, then stops, for about 2/3 mins,
mouse responds, caps lock button lights on keyboard (G15 Logitech)

Any suggestions? I use Advanced System Optimiser to get rid of windows
'bloat' but still load sooo slooooowwwwww.

I would like to think of myself as 'handy' when it comes to building
PC's, but software has always been a bit of a blind spot.
Thanks in advance.
Lepak

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Lepak Nerat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any suggestions? I use Advanced System Optimiser to get rid of windows
>'bloat' but still load sooo slooooowwwwww.

it's pry this program.

Start | Run <type in> MSCONFIG <enter> StartUp
Disable the program and restart - you will get a warning that msconfig
is in action.. see if it's any faster.

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

Lepak Nerat

tried that, all that can be disabled has been, only run:
logitech bits for keyboard and mouse; Zone alarm; Virtual mounting
software (daemon)

> Lepak Nerat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions? I use Advanced System Optimiser to get rid of windows
>> 'bloat' but still load sooo slooooowwwwww.

> it's pry this program.
>

> Start | Run <type in> MSCONFIG <enter> StartUp
> Disable the program and restart - you will get a warning that msconfig
> is in action.. see if it's any faster.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Lepak Nerat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>tried that, all that can be disabled has been, only run:
>logitech bits for keyboard and mouse; Zone alarm; Virtual mounting
>software (daemon)

I'm still going with Wintasks, it pry runs as a service
Start | Run <type in> services.msc <enter>

Stop, then disable the service if it does have one. (along with the
msconfig disable) reboot and see.

While your in the services, you can disable the things you really
don't need running, which will help
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_un..._on_windows_xp

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm still going with Wintasks

Thought that was your startup optimizer, reading a description of it,
it sounds a lot like
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html