Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mister Clean for Microsoft

Mister Clean for Microsoft

DWACON

I have over ˝gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
"$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.

I am assuming it is safe to delete these?

Would anyone confirm or deny?

Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up to a CD for
future reference?

Thanks!

http://dwacon.blogspot.com

marcus.tettmar@gmail.com

DWACON wrote:
> I have over ˝gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
> "$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.
>
> I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
>
> Would anyone confirm or deny?

It is, but only if you don't want the option of being able to uninstall
the service pack later.

Marcus
http://www.mjtnet.com/
Macro Scheduler - Automate Windows Tasks

beenthere

"DWACON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsLVKg.132461$LF4.112523@dukeread05...
>I have over ˝gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
>"$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.
>
> I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
>
> Would anyone confirm or deny?
>
> Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up to a CD for
> future reference?
>
> Thanks!

You can safely remove the $NTServicePackUninstall$ files.
But you will then Not be able to Uninstall the updates in
Add\remove files.
Yes you could back them up to a CD, then replace them
into the Windows files, if you wish.
I`ve deleted mine, knowing that I`ve experienced no
problems with the updates that I`ve got.
HTH.

Spuds

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:21:32 -0400, "DWACON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have over ˝gb of files from OS upgrades in directories such as
>"$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to reclaim the space.
>
>I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
>
>Would anyone confirm or deny?
>
>Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up to a CD for
>future reference?
>
>Thanks!

You could grab the little free utility here, called "XP Remove Hotfix Backups:
http://www.dougknox.com/

It will also removes the associated Registry entries for these items in
Add/Remove Programs.
--

"If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

- Nick DiPaolo

DWACON

"Spuds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
> cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...
> the red is positive and the black is negative."

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality
is now using antacid to deal with reality

thanatoid

"DWACON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsLVKg.132461$LF4.112523@dukeread05:

> I have over ˝gb of files from OS upgrades in directories
> such as "$NtServicePackUninstall$" -- and would like to
> reclaim the space.
>
> I am assuming it is safe to delete these?
>
> Would anyone confirm or deny?
>
> Also, is it worth the trouble to maybe back these files up
> to a CD for future reference?
>
> Thanks!

A CD-R costs about a quarter and ten minutes' time. Brains,
apparently, are MUCH harder to come by.

Unbelievable.

The contents of the answers are equally dumbfounding.