Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Encrypt An External USB Hard Disk

Encrypt An External USB Hard Disk

R.Daneel Olivaw

I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then disconnect.
I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read it.

I have googled and found a few applications including

http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainer...tm?adv=enc_ehd

Had anyone tried this - is it any good?

Any other recommendations?

Mr User

R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then disconnect.
> I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read it.
>
> I have googled and found a few applications including
>
> http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainer...tm?adv=enc_ehd
>
> Had anyone tried this - is it any good?
>
> Any other recommendations?

What about open source peer reviewed and FREE software?
http://www.truecrypt.org/

Montero

R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then disconnect.
> I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read it.
>
> I have googled and found a few applications including
>
> http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainer...tm?adv=enc_ehd
>
> Had anyone tried this - is it any good?
>
> Any other recommendations?

right Click Ur partition, select properties Then advance -> Check Box
(Encript This Drive)

Also start -> Run-> type(MMC) -> Select certificate Services -> Then
copy your private Certificate
check about Windows Certificate in microsoft web site.

Fat Ass Fred

On 3 Sep 2006 21:44:20 -0700, "Montero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>right Click Ur partition, select properties Then advance -> Check Box
>(Encript This Drive)

And when his computer crashes, he re-installs XP, then what....

> Also start -> Run-> type(MMC) -> Select certificate Services -> Then
>copy your private Certificate
>check about Windows Certificate in microsoft web site.

Does this allow him to have the same encryption key when he
re-installs WindowsXP after a crash, thus allowing him to restore his
files on the portable hard drive?

R.Daneel Olivaw

"Mr User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GXAKg.3464$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
>> I have an external USB Hard Disk that I use for backup and then
>> disconnect. I would like to be able to encrypt it so that only I can read
>> it.
>>
>> I have googled and found a few applications including
>>
>> http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainer...tm?adv=enc_ehd
>>
>> Had anyone tried this - is it any good?
>>
>> Any other recommendations?

> What about open source peer reviewed and FREE software?
> http://www.truecrypt.org/

Many thanx - I will take a look