Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No Wireless Network in Range - post-reinstall

No Wireless Network in Range - post-reinstall

=?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

Hello,
I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
I always am - right next to the network!
How can I get back on?

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=

You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
follow the wizard.
If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
adapter, connection type. etc.)

"operaflute" wrote:

> Hello,
> I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> I always am - right next to the network!
> How can I get back on?

=?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
connected...

"Hugh" wrote:

> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> follow the wizard.
> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> adapter, connection type. etc.)
>
> "operaflute" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> > I always am - right next to the network!
> > How can I get back on?

Dana Brash

Hi Operaflute,

It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system is
picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open wireless
network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's SSID
will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

"operaflute" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection"
> listed
> in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> connected...
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
>> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
>> follow the wizard.
>> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
>> adapter, connection type. etc.)
>>
>> "operaflute" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless
>> > icon it
>> > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same
>> > place
>> > I always am - right next to the network!
>> > How can I get back on?

=?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

Thing is, it is not detecting anything at all...
Ssays there ARE no networks.
"Dana Brash" wrote:

> Hi Operaflute,
>
> It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system is
> picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open wireless
> network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's SSID
> will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
> your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
> During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.
>
> --
> HTH,
> =d=
>

> Dana Brash
> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA
>

> "operaflute" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection"
> > listed
> > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> > connected...
> >
> > "Hugh" wrote:
> >
> >> You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> >> follow the wizard.
> >> If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> >> adapter, connection type. etc.)

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=

Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".

"operaflute" wrote:

> Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
> in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> connected...
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> > follow the wizard.
> > If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> > adapter, connection type. etc.)
> >
> > "operaflute" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I had to reinstall Winodws, and now when I double click on wireless icon it
> > > says "no wireless networks found in range" even though I am in the same place
> > > I always am - right next to the network!
> > > How can I get back on?

=?Utf-8?B?b3BlcmFmbHV0ZQ==?=

Nope - as far as my computer thinks, there is nothing to connect to!

"Hugh" wrote:

> Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".
>
> "operaflute" wrote:
>
> > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
> > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> > connected...
> >
> > "Hugh" wrote:
> >
> > > You have to reinstall your network as well. Open Network Connections and
> > > follow the wizard.
> > > If you have problems with this, tell us about your hardware (Router,
> > > adapter, connection type. etc.)

Dana Brash

If that's the case, then the 'Wireless Network Connection' listed in your
Network Connections simply needs to be configured. The fact that it's there
is just telling you you have the hardware and drivers installed. You still
need to configure the connection.

Right click the Wireless Network Connection, go to Properties.
Select the Wireless Networks tab. Click on 'View WIreless Networks' to see
if you can automatically find your Wireless connection (SSID Broadcast is
ON), and if not, select the Add button under preferred Networks. You can
then configure the appropriate connection and security settings.

IF you made changes to the AP and don't remember what they are, you should
be able to find the 'reset' switch on your AP to reset it to out of the box
settings and then follow the manufacturers instructions to get connected.

--
HTH,
=d=

Dana Brash
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

"operaflute" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thing is, it is not detecting anything at all...
> Ssays there ARE no networks.
> "Dana Brash" wrote:
>
>> Hi Operaflute,
>>
>> It may be that your AP is broadcasting it's information, so your system
>> is
>> picking up the network. But unless you are running a totally open
>> wireless
>> network, then just having your system aware of the wireless network's
>> SSID
>> will not be enough to get you on the network. You will need to configure
>> your system with the correct WEP, WPA or PSK that your network requires.
>> During your OS rebuild, all of these settings would have been lost.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>> =d=
>>

>> Dana Brash
>> MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA
>>

>> "operaflute" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection"
>> > listed
>> > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says
>> > not
>> > connected...

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=

You still havn't told us anything about your hardware. Firmware updates are
sometimes critcal.
In cases like yours I have uninstalled all networking devices and protocols
and started over, usually with success.

"operaflute" wrote:

> Nope - as far as my computer thinks, there is nothing to connect to!
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > Try right-clicking the wireless network and selecting "Connect".
> >
> > "operaflute" wrote:
> >
> > > Is this the case even though there is a "wireless network connection" listed
> > > in "my network connections?" Of course, the icon has a red X and says not
> > > connected...

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FsdmluIFdpbGJvbg==?=

Hi Huge,

I'm basically having the same problem. I recently bought a Dell Inspiron
700m Laptop and it has everything installed including Intel PRO/Wireless 2100
WLAN (802.11b) mini-PCI Internal Wireless. I keep getting the same message
that "No wireless network found in range." But it also states, "Check to see
if computer's wireless switch is turned on." How do you check this?