Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > A perplexing phenomenon

Reply
Thread Tools

A perplexing phenomenon

 
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
>>>or on a
>>>different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
>>>change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
>>>of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
>>>looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
>>>example,
>>>the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
>>>application.
>>>It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
>>>
>>>It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
>>>would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
>>>would
>>>anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
>>>window
>>>than the one you're using?

>>
>> Do you have Tweak UI installed?
>> Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>


>It appears that I do not have this installed. Is it something I would
>advantageously have?


Only if you like your programs window coming in focus (come up front)
when your mouse touches any part of it.

"Where normal mouse control uses single-click for selection and
double-click to open/edit/etc, the xmouse system automatically selects
objects after hovering the mouse over the object for a certain period
of time (often one second)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmouse

--

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Dean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Jim Beaver wrote:
> Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website
> link, or on a
> different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort
> of change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about
> eight out of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If
> I'm in OE looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail
> folder, for example, the screen will switch to my open browser window
> or to an open application. It happens with ANY window, application,
> or file.


Don't have an answer, but I was recently recommended to http://aumha.org/ as
a good resource for Windows problems. Haven't had chance to explore it yet
but maybe what you want is there.
Alternatively, try one of the MS XP specific NGs - something in the
microsoft.public.windowsxp ... hierarchy.
BTW, have you checked the advanced options in IE Tools? I note there's one
there entitled "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts." Dunno what it does,
but maybe it does what's happening by you.
--
John Dean
Oxford



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
cuntbubble
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006
"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4Z%Jg.7382$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:19 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
>>>>
>>>> How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question
>>>> the
>>>> past few days and see if there are any replies.
>>>
>>>Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
>>>have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
>>>question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my

>>
>> Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.
>>
>>>experience. It occurred to me that since I'd been having problems with
>>>my
>>>newsreader that perhaps my original hadn't actually gone out to the
>>>broader
>>>readership. So I posted it again under a new subject line in order to
>>>make

>>
>> As long as you don't use X-No-Archive: Yes then look for the posts using
>> http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
>>
>>>certain it was a new thread. Once again, ZERO response. As the question

>>
>> Then saying so will help a bit, you must have seen the other times posts
>> are repeated and repeated.
>>
>>>did not seem the sort to utterly stymie the entire readership of this ng,
>>>I
>>>was puzzled. Then it occurred to me that the subject line of both posts
>>>had
>>>begun with a letter far down in the alphabet, and that perhaps readers
>>>simply weren't reading that far down the list of subject lines (my

>>
>> Yuck, sorting by subject, try threaded date and marking old posts as
>> read when collecting new posts helps much more.
>>
>>>newsreader currently shows 74,650 posts in this newsgroup, and I don't
>>>remotely ever get all the way through the list). So I thought I would
>>>try

>>
>> Mark the old posts read. There can be between 7000 - 14000 posts in
>> 24HSHD each month.
>>
>>>one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the
>>>beginning
>>>of the alphabet.

>>
>> Didn't help, made no difference.
>>
>>>Finally, thank God, I got a response. Yours.

>>
>> More like wondering if you were going to stop due to the non responses
>> to your problem.
>>
>> BTW have never seen anything like it, the original query.

>
> Thanks.
>
> I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.
> Especially since in the past I've posted, got no response, reposted under
> a different subject line and gotten a dozen or more responses. I figure
> that every once in a while the first one slips through a crack. From now
> on, I'll give up immediately.


Meh - just give up feeding the troles.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006

"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jwSJg.113$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
> or on a
> different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
> change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
> of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
> looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
> example,
> the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
> application. It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
>
> It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
> would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
> would
> anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
> window
> than the one you're using?
>
> Ideas?


Maybe you have installed a program that is conflicting with your system.
Wild guess ctfmon
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599/en-us


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Beaver
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jwSJg.113$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website
>> link, or on a
>> different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
>> change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight
>> out
>> of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE
>> looking at email in my Inbox and click to my Sent Mail folder, for
>> example,
>> the screen will switch to my open browser window or to an open
>> application. It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
>>
>> It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
>> would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
>> would
>> anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
>> window
>> than the one you're using?
>>
>> Ideas?

>
> Maybe you have installed a program that is conflicting with your system.
> Wild guess ctfmon
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599/en-us


I'll give these suggestions a try. Thanks for all the help. I guess third
time was the charm, after all.

Jim Beaver


 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:36:32 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

Look at the end for the non <snipped> include all of the previous text
and bottom post.

>
>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 16:41:19 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 08:51:27 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:
>>>>
>>>> How odd, you may want to help the other guy asking the same question the
>>>> past few days and see if there are any replies.
>>>
>>>Not so odd. I've been posting questions on this newsgroup for years and
>>>have always gotten helpful responses. I posted the original of this
>>>question a week or so ago and got ZERO responses, very unusual in my

>>
>> Maybe no one that may have read your post has an answer.
>>

<snip>

>>>one more time, this time posting with a subject line aimed at the
>>>beginning
>>>of the alphabet.

>>
>> Didn't help, made no difference.


<snip>

>I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.


Who said that?

>Especially since in the past I've posted, got no response, reposted under a
>different subject line and gotten a dozen or more responses. I figure that
>every once in a while the first one slips through a crack. From now on,
>I'll give up immediately.


Oh go on then. All you had to do was say you had a problem posting, or
maybe you couldn't see any replies. That gets more help than simply
repeating the post several times.

As you said you have been posting in this ng for years you must be aware
of the many times it's thought of as a chat room and multiple posts per
minute / day and repeating over the next few days. It's that which is
annoying.

>Jim Beaver
>


Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Beaver
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006

"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.

>
> Who said that?


It's quite easily inferred.

At any rate, I'm sorry if it ****ed you off, and if it didn't **** you off,
I'm delighted. As to me, I finally got helpful answers with this version of
my question, and no one else complained, so perhaps it wasn't a complete
train wreck.

Jim Beaver


 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:26:51 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

>
>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>I didn't realize that two non-responded-to queries would put anyone out.

>>
>> Who said that?

>
>It's quite easily inferred.
>
>At any rate, I'm sorry if it ****ed you off, and if it didn't **** you off,
>I'm delighted. As to me, I finally got helpful answers with this version of


Neither of the above.

>my question, and no one else complained, so perhaps it wasn't a complete


So which answer worked, that's usually more important than suggestions.
More so if you post back than it can be found again if needed.

>train wreck.
>
>Jim Beaver
>


Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:39:30 GMT, Jim Beaver wrote:

>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> "Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Lately I've noticed a new phenomenon in XP. If I click on a website link,
>>>or on a
>>>different file folder in a list from the one I was viewing, any sort of
>>>change that involves bringing up a new page or new images, about eight out
>>>of ten times my screen will switch to another open window. If I'm in OE


<snip>

>>>It happens with ANY window, application, or file.
>>>
>>>It's a relatively new thing, and I can't think of anything I've done that
>>>would cause it. It's difficult to imagine that it's a setting -- why
>>>would
>>>anyone want a setting that automatically switches you to a different
>>>window
>>>than the one you're using?

>>
>> Do you have Tweak UI installed?
>> Start | Run <type in> TweakUI.exe <enter>

>
>
>It appears that I do not have this installed. Is it something I would
>advantageously have?


No, it's likely to cause you more confusion

I like it because I used to work a lot on Unix Workstations,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmouse

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Beaver
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006

"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> So which answer worked, that's usually more important than suggestions.
> More so if you post back than it can be found again if needed.


Unfortunately, now, none of the suggestions has worked. As it turns out,
the possible problem areas pointed out to me involved applications or
functions that I don't have on my computer, and thus they could not be the
cause. For the time being it appears I'm stuck with having my windows
switch willy-nilly whenever I load a new page into a current window.

Maybe I'll post the question again under a new subject line.

Just kidding.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
perplexing impersonation/SQL issue =?Utf-8?B?QWNvbnF1aWph?= ASP .Net 0 09-11-2006 06:27 PM
Perplexing problem, any ideas Steve Computer Information 0 11-10-2004 06:49 PM
this weeks perplexing question billyw MCSE 11 09-21-2004 03:22 PM
Perplexing problem with inserting into a linkedlist object Anonymous Sender Java 7 05-25-2004 10:27 AM
Perplexing buffering(?) problem S McAfee Python 0 12-05-2003 07:36 PM



Advertisments