Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Program to automate saving of website pages

Program to automate saving of website pages

richard

Wondering if there is such an animal?
What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as you
would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then save it to
your machine.

PeeCee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wondering if there is such an animal?
> What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as you
> would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then save it
> to your machine.

Try

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

P.

DanR

richard wrote:
> Wondering if there is such an animal?
> What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as
> you would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then
> save it to your machine.

Among other programs... IE7 will do this.

richard

"DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a08Jg.12697$%(E-Mail Removed) et...
> richard wrote:
>> Wondering if there is such an animal?
>> What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as
>> you would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then
>> save it to your machine.

> Among other programs... IE7 will do this.

Will it save the site's database as well?

marcus.tettmar@gmail.com

richard wrote:
> "DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a08Jg.12697$%(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > richard wrote:
> >> Wondering if there is such an animal?
> >> What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as
> >> you would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then
> >> save it to your machine.

> > Among other programs... IE7 will do this.
> >

> Will it save the site's database as well?

Not sure what you're trying to achieve but maybe this will help:

http://www.mjtnet.com/webrecorder.htm

Meat Plow

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:01:26 -0600, richard Has Frothed:

> Wondering if there is such an animal? What I want to do is to retireve the
> numerous pages of a website as you would manually. That is, open a site,
> go to a certain page, then save it to your machine.

You mean like IE6's Work Offline, St00pid?

why?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:01:26 -0600, richard wrote:

>Wondering if there is such an animal?

Your question refers to the subject line? Then, yes there is.

See past posts in 24HSHD
several have been mentioned.

>What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as you
>would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then save it to

Could be a bad idea and the server owner may file an abuse report with
your ISP.

>your machine.

Was that 2 questions or the same one twice?

As for the site database, LOL, are you serious?

Browse what you have in cache, there are a few apps for that as well as
trying IE offline mode IIRC, not ever having used it myself.

Me

richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:01:26 -0600, richard wrote:
>
>>Wondering if there is such an animal?

> Your question refers to the subject line? Then, yes there is.
>
> See past posts in 24HSHD
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
> several have been mentioned.
>
>>What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as you
>>would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then save it

> Could be a bad idea and the server owner may file an abuse report with
> your ISP.
>
>>your machine.
>>

> Was that 2 questions or the same one twice?
>
> As for the site database, LOL, are you serious?
>
> Browse what you have in cache, there are a few apps for that as well as
> trying IE offline mode IIRC, not ever having used it myself.
>

> Me

Yes I am serious about the database. I have contacted the webmaster and they
have finally replied. With any luck, they may be willing to cooperate and
let me have the info I need.

As a database is mainly text, downloading it should be no problem. Even with
a million plus records.

why?

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:23:08 -0600, richard wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:01:26 -0600, richard wrote:
>>
>>>Wondering if there is such an animal?

>> Your question refers to the subject line? Then, yes there is.
>>
>> See past posts in 24HSHD
>> http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
>> several have been mentioned.
>>
>>>What I want to do is to retireve the numerous pages of a website as you
>>>would manually. That is, open a site, go to a certain page, then save it

>> Could be a bad idea and the server owner may file an abuse report with
>> your ISP.
>>
>>>your machine.
>>>

>> Was that 2 questions or the same one twice?
>>
>> As for the site database, LOL, are you serious?
>>
>> Browse what you have in cache, there are a few apps for that as well as
>> trying IE offline mode IIRC, not ever having used it myself.
>>

>> Me

>Yes I am serious about the database. I have contacted the webmaster and they
>have finally replied. With any luck, they may be willing to cooperate and
>let me have the info I need.

Get them to burn it to CD/DVD.

>As a database is mainly text, downloading it should be no problem. Even with

You are going to d/l it how? Usually a query on a web based form won't
return that many records, even if it does all you get is the text form
of the data mixed up with the HTML, after it's been processed by some
script. What you don't get is the database, or the scripts and so on.

Get them to burn it to CD/DVD.

>a million plus records.

Not another 1, a database with 10^6 records

From: "nobody u know" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Problem determing which way to do major list
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 20:45:42 -0600