Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer NIC killing ports on my cisco 2950...

Computer NIC killing ports on my cisco 2950...

Jazz

I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first
of something like this I have ever come across...

In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so
yeah, it can be done... I got it working and all was well.

A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned
that she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network
connection. I fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only
work if I put the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.

Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some
more and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he
switch (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it
with other cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in
question in the ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port
I assume.

Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.

Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
cabling?

Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
helpful.
thanks in advance!
Jazz Mann

Meat Plow

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:49:30 -0700, Jazz Has Frothed:

> I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first of
> something like this I have ever come across...
>
> In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
> the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so yeah,
> it can be done... I got it working and all was well.
>
> A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned that
> she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network connection. I
> fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only work if I put
> the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.
>
> Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some more
> and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he switch
> (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it with other
> cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in question in the
> ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port I assume.
>
> Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
> switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.
>
> Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
> cabling?
>
> Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
> helpful.
> thanks in advance!
> Jazz Mann

Call a CAT5 installer and have them put an analyzer on the drop. If it's
got problems fix it. If not replace the nic.

why?

On 29 Aug 2006 08:49:30 -0700, Jazz wrote:

>I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first
>of something like this I have ever come across...
>
>In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
>the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so
>yeah, it can be done... I got it working and all was well.

Just as helpful as www.google.com, www.cisco.com for Cisco products.

Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst Switches to NIC Compatibility Issues

http://www.cisco.rw/en/US/products/h...otes_list.html
Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches
Troubleshooting TechNotes

http://www.cisco.rw/en/US/products/h...0801cd6d7.html
LED indicators, fault finding.

>A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned
>that she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network
>connection. I fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only
>work if I put the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.

So the settings at the PC NIC end are manual / auto set to what speed &
duplex? They match the switch port or not?

After the fault, on the 2950 the output of (depends on IOS)

show int status

show int <type> <interface>

Is the show int, clocking up FCS, collisions?

sh cont e <type> <interface>

sh int status err

sh int count err

>Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some
>more and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he
>switch (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it

Then the show int status says, connected / not connected?

>with other cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in
>question in the ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port
>I assume.

If you do a conf t for

inf <portname>
no shut

What happens?

If port status is logged, show log at the times it was connected failed
show anything, beyond up/down link / line protocol.

>Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
>switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.
>
>Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
>cabling?

Maybe, getting the cabling tested is easy.

>Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
>helpful.
>thanks in advance!
>Jazz Mann

Me

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first
> of something like this I have ever come across...
>
> In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
> the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so
> yeah, it can be done... I got it working and all was well.
>
> A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned
> that she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network
> connection. I fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only
> work if I put the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.
>
> Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some
> more and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he
> switch (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it
> with other cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in
> question in the ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port
> I assume.
>
> Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
> switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.
>
> Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
> cabling?
>
> Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
> helpful.

Several things:

1) You ran the new cable to close to electrical wires and the new cable
is picking up voltage from the AC lines and killing the switch.

2) You didn't test the new cable and have created a ground-loop between
the computer and the port on the CISCO?

3) Run a new cable, making sure to keep it at least 1 foot away from AC
lines, and try it again.

4) Replace the NIC in the PC, a cheap $10 would do.

--

(E-Mail Removed)
remove 999 in order to email me