Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Memory Stick File Format

USB Memory Stick File Format

Harvey Gratt

I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is
there any speed advantage, etc with respect to formating it as FAT,
FAT32 or NTFS for use on XP systems?

Thanks,
Harvey

beenthere

"Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is
>there any speed advantage, etc with respect to formating it as FAT, FAT32
>or NTFS for use on XP systems?

Always a personal opinion, but I prefer FAT32.
That way you can always use it on systems other than XP.
ie. if your pal is using an older system, and you want to move
files around.

Plato

Harvey Gratt wrote:

> I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Harvey Gratt

Plato wrote:
> Harvey Gratt wrote:
>> I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is

> http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

I have already been able to format as FAT32 (as well as FAT), haven't
tried NTFS. Original question still stands, is there a speed advantage
to any of the file systems. I do not need compatibility with win98, etc.

Thanks,
Harvey

Meat Plow

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:13:07 +0000, Harvey Gratt Has Frothed:

> Plato wrote:
>> Harvey Gratt wrote:
>>> I want to reformat a USB memory stick in order to make it bootable. Is

>> http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
>>

> I have already been able to format as FAT32 (as well as FAT), haven't
> tried NTFS. Original question still stands, is there a speed advantage to
> any of the file systems. I do not need compatibility with win98, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Harvey

Doesn't matter on a flash drive.