Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Genuine Advantage forcing itself on users now?

Windows Genuine Advantage forcing itself on users now?

Registered Jack

I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
unselect it from a list.

So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
circulating on the Internet these days?

beenthere

"Registered Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t1THg.304190$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom on
>the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started downloading
>right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to unselect it from a
>list.
>
> So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is there
> some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files circulating on
> the Internet these days?

Did the same to me. Told me mine wasn`t genuine, but I
can still update. I bought it, it`s mine. Stuff `em.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 +0000, Registered Jack Has Frothed:

> I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom on
> the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
> downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
> unselect it from a list.
>
> So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is there
> some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files circulating on
> the Internet these days?

**** the updates.

GHalleck

Meat Plow wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 +0000, Registered Jack Has Frothed:
>

>>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom on
>>the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
>>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
>>unselect it from a list.
>>
>>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is there
>>some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files circulating on
>>the Internet these days?

> **** the updates.

Wrong attitude. F--k Microsoft. It is still possible to get
the security updates (advised) by downloading them manually
from the Microsoft Download center. And as for hotfixes, there
aren't that many in the first place but they can be obtained
from several reputable sites if not having someone with a
"validated" machine doing the download and re-distributing.

Ron Martell

Registered Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
>on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
>unselect it from a list.
>
>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
>there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
>circulating on the Internet these days?

Automatic updates (for critical updates only) will still work if your
machine has not passed the WGA test.

Manual updates via the Windows Update site do require WGA, as do most
new downloads from the Microsoft download sites.

If people were honest then there would be no need for license
validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
okay to steal from a rich person".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Plato

Registered Jack wrote:

> So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
> there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
> circulating on the Internet these days?

There are dozens of other OS's you can use. Use one of them if you do
not like MS ware.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ponder

Hiya Ron Martell.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> If people were honest then there would be no need for license
> validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
> appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
> okay to steal from a rich person".

And Mircosoft are honest? All of their core software and ideas have been
"borrowed" from elsewhere. MS-DOS started life as QDOS until Billy bought
the rights and rebranded it.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Spuds

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:48:41 GMT, Registered Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
>on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
>unselect it from a list.
>
>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
>there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
>circulating on the Internet these days?

I did the updates, then slid over here:
http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tools_list.htm
and grabbed the WGA remover.
--

"If hooking a car battery up to a monkey's brain will help find the
cure for AIDS and save somebody's life, I have two things to say...

- Nick DiPaolo

John Morrison

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
>on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
>unselect it from a list.

I checked for updates a few days ago and never struck that problem.

OK, so it might have changed?

No! Seems not.

After reading your post I went to check just now and I received the
message that "You've hidden important updates" so I clicked on
"Restore them now" and I proceeded to check for updates.

No new high-priority updates were available and I don't need any of
the optional software or hardware updates so I never selected any
updates.

Then I clicked on "Install updates" and because none were selected I
was returned to the original screen where I again received the message
"You've hidden important updates".

>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
>there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
>circulating on the Internet these days?

Even if we have to install Microsoft's WGA surely any decent firewall
[not Microsoft's] would be able to block WGA from accessing the
Internet anyway.

I reckon though that some people might be misinterpreting the
following message received at Windows Update:

"High-priority updates"
"No high-priority updates for your computer are available. To select
other updates, use the options to the left."
--

John

Mistoffolees

Ron Martell wrote:

> Registered Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I went to get updates for one of my Windows XP boxes. I clicked Custom
>>on the update site, and the Windows Genuine Advantage file started
>>downloading right off the bat. A few months ago, you were able to
>>unselect it from a list.
>>
>>So is this the way it's going to be with the Evil Empire now, or is
>>there some way around it, say, with one of those removeWGA files
>>circulating on the Internet these days?

> Automatic updates (for critical updates only) will still work if your
> machine has not passed the WGA test.
>
> Manual updates via the Windows Update site do require WGA, as do most
> new downloads from the Microsoft download sites.
>
> If people were honest then there would be no need for license
> validation procedures such as WGA, hardware dongles, etc. But there
> appears to be a lot of people around who have the idea that "it is
> okay to steal from a rich person".
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

While there is certainly a degree of real piracy, Microsoft has
elected to deal with numbers versus the proportion of product
that has actually been "stolen". Even if 99.99% of all Windows
users were honest, the residual percentage is still a very large
number. The only way to insure 100% compliance (or zero-tolerance
for infractions) is total control. Since all good citizens abhor
non-compliance, then 100% "managed computing" is essential and we
are being prepared for this eventuality. Just how much is the
Canadian government in lock-step with the Bush Administration and
the monopolists (i.e., the filthy rich) of the Republican Party?