Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slow computer

slow computer

Pat

Hi' Everyone,
My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
computer faster apart from a reformat.
Many thanks,
Pat.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Pat wrote:

> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary
> internet files after every session. Also, I have done a
> defragmentation but nothing seems to make my computer faster. I have
> Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig., hard drive. My computer is only
> about 15 months old, it is an Optima desktop. I also run my anti
> virus regularly and of course get the updates. Could someone please
> tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my computer
> faster apart from a reformat.

The normal first response to this kind of question is that your computer
has become a zombie, and is now probably spewing spam to the rest of the
planet.

1. Is it still slow when not connected to the internet?
2. Examine your outgoing traffic when connected, but you yourself aren't
doing anything. Anything happening?
3. What firewall are you using?

http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

--
-bts

Old Gringo

Without Any Hesitation, Pat Wrote The Following:
> Hi' Everyone,
> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
> files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
> seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
> hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
> desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
> Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
> computer faster apart from a reformat.
> Many thanks,
> Pat.

Go to: http://pcpitstop.com There Run the full test of your
computer. When the test is complete they will have some solutions to
your problem. All FREE Good Luck

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Daave

Pat wrote:
> Hi' Everyone,
> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary
> internet files after every session. Also, I have done a
> defragmentation but nothing seems to make my computer faster. I have
> Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig., hard drive. My computer is only
> about 15 months old, it is an Optima desktop. I also run my anti
> virus regularly and of course get the updates. Could someone please
> tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my computer
> faster apart from a reformat.

256 MB RAM is kind of low for XP, especially if you multitask. Memory is
fairly cheap; I'd buy some more, regardless.

Which anti-virus program do you use? Certain ones are noted resource
hogs (Norton and McAfee are the two biggest culprits). Personally, I
prefer AVG (it's free):
http://free.grisoft.com/

You can also try some online virus scans, just to be sure:

http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...NBRFNJSVSTIVVB

or http://tinyurl.com/ftomh

In addition to temporary Internet files, you should also delete temp
files. Personally, I like to use Ccleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

You might have too many apps running in the background. You can use
msconfig to temporarily prevent some of these from loading. Or you might
like to try Startup Control Panel:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Have you scanned for malware?

Download an install Adaware (*free* version):
http://www.lavasoft.de/

Spybot Search and Destroy (*free* version):
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Bookmark these sites; they're full of useful info:

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html

Good luck!

--
Dave

PeeCee

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FpNHg.18029$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi' Everyone,
> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
> files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
> seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40
> gig., hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
> desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
> Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make
> my computer faster apart from a reformat.
> Many thanks,
> Pat.

Pat

1 Check for Spyware/Malware.
Go to http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm#rec and read up on their
Recommended Anti Spywrare programs then download and intall them. They are
'best of breed' and you their recommendations can be relied on.
2 Google for 'free online virus scan' and try a couple. I usually find the
Trend and Symantec ones the easiest to use.
3 Add at least 256MB of RAM to your computer, a patched up copy of XP does
not run well with less than 512MB of RAM these days.
4 Review the programs in your System tray (bottom right) and set them to
'not' start unless they are absolutely critical.
5 Likewise with your Add Remove programs applet in the Control panel, ie if
you're not using it, remove it.

Best
Paul.

PeeCee

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:MKNHg.1379

snip

> Which anti-virus program do you use? Certain ones are noted resource
> hogs (Norton and McAfee are the two biggest culprits).

snip

I'll echo that.
Just removed Norton 2005 from an older PC (300MHZ Pentium) that was taking
fully 10 + minutes to start up.
With Norton removed it was starting in 3 minutes.

P.

Pat

Many thanks everyone for your help. I have EZ Anti Virus, also, Spybot S &
D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner & CW Schredder. Another one I am not
sure about and stopped using for the time being as a friend's computer
crashed recently when she ran it but maybe it was something she did, this is
called Zappit does anyone know if it is safe?. I will look at all your
advice and the links thank you for your time, Oh... my firewall is the
Windows one.
Many thanks,
Pat.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

user@domain.invalid

Pat wrote:
> Hi' Everyone,
> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary internet
> files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but nothing
> seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40 gig.,
> hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
> desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the updates.
> Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make my
> computer faster apart from a reformat.
> Many thanks,
> Pat.

Upgrade your Ram.
XP needs at least 1GB to work.
Install adaware and spybot and run them.
Install AVG anti-virus and run it.
Install Zonealarm's (free for single endusers) firewall, and turn off
the M$ one and never turn it on again.

THEN defrag.

Joan

Many thanks for responding, I will think about upgrading my RAM and look
into Zonealarm,
Pat.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pat wrote:
>> Hi' Everyone,
>> My computer is running so slow. I clear the cookies and temporary
>> internet
>> files after every session. Also, I have done a defragmentation but
>> nothing
>> seems to make my computer faster. I have Win.XP Home, 256MB Ram and 40
>> gig.,
>> hard drive. My computer is only about 15 months old, it is an Optima
>> desktop. I also run my anti virus regularly and of course get the
>> updates.
>> Could someone please tell me if there is anything else I could do to make
>> my
>> computer faster apart from a reformat.
>> Many thanks,
>> Pat.
>>

> Upgrade your Ram.
> XP needs at least 1GB to work.
> Install adaware and spybot and run them.
> Install AVG anti-virus and run it.
> Install Zonealarm's (free for single endusers) firewall, and turn off
> the M$ one and never turn it on again.
>
> THEN defrag.

FML

*******s!