Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet Explorer bounces Back to whateverhomepage you have it set on

Internet Explorer bounces Back to whateverhomepage you have it set on

tgrynovich

WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer likes
to bounce back to the homepage no matter what it is set on any
suggestions?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

tgrynovich wrote:

> WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer
> likes to bounce back to the homepage no matter what it is set on any
> suggestions?

This "bouncing back" and ".org" sites have nothing to do with each
other. If there is one *particular* .org site, then you need to list the
URL to it.

Recommendation: try another browser and see if the problem persists. It
could be that your Internet Explorer is stuffed up, which is rather
common.
http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

--
-bts

tgrynovich

Tried Mozilla and event tried entering it through MY Computer no Luck
although that has worked in the past. Even added the site as a trusted
site on the firewall as well as the PC. Other PCs in the domain have
no problem. It seems local to a few machines Some windows 2k others xp
with all the recent updates. SHRM.org is one of the sites that is an
issue

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> tgrynovich wrote:
>
> > WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer
> > likes to bounce back to the homepage no matter what it is set on any
> > suggestions?

> This "bouncing back" and ".org" sites have nothing to do with each
> other. If there is one *particular* .org site, then you need to list the
> URL to it.
>
> Recommendation: try another browser and see if the problem persists. It
> could be that your Internet Explorer is stuffed up, which is rather
> common.
> http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html
>
> --
> -bts
> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

tgrynovich wrote:

Please don't top-post.

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> tgrynovich wrote:
>>
>>> WHen visiting certain sites notably .org sites internet explorer
>>> likes to bounce back to the homepage

Let's clarify what you meant there by "homepage". Your browser's
homepage (the page that displays when you start up the browser), or the
main page of the site you are visiting?

>>> no matter what it is set on any suggestions?

>> This "bouncing back" and ".org" sites have nothing to do with each
>> other. If there is one *particular* .org site, then you need to list
>> the URL to it.
>>
>> Recommendation: try another browser and see if the problem
>> persists. It could be that your Internet Explorer is stuffed up,
>> which is rather common. http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

> Tried Mozilla and event tried entering it through MY Computer no Luck
> although that has worked in the past. Even added the site as a
> trusted site on the firewall as well as the PC. Other PCs in the
> domain have no problem.

Other PCs? Does "in the domain" mean in your office or such?

> It seems local to a few machines Some windows 2k others xp with all
> the recent updates.

So your computer is not the only one? You could have mentioned this up
front. Time to ask your IT department what is going on at the company's
firewall.

> SHRM.org is one of the sites that is an issue

I've just visited http://shrm.org/ with no ill effects, with Firefox,
Opera, and IE6. There is a lot of silly JavaScript on that page, like
trying to stop me from right-clicking to copy images (which never works)
and trying to sniff what browser I am using (old ones.)

--
-bts

Whiskers

On 2006-08-25, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> tgrynovich wrote:
>
> Please don't top-post.
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Let's clarify what you meant there by "homepage". Your browser's
> homepage (the page that displays when you start up the browser), or the
> main page of the site you are visiting?

snip

> So your computer is not the only one? You could have mentioned this up
> front. Time to ask your IT department what is going on at the company's
> firewall.
>
>> SHRM.org is one of the sites that is an issue

> I've just visited http://shrm.org/ with no ill effects, with Firefox,
> Opera, and IE6. There is a lot of silly JavaScript on that page, like
> trying to stop me from right-clicking to copy images (which never works)
> and trying to sniff what browser I am using (old ones.)

For me, Opera gets one of the two CPU threads on this 3GHz P4HT machine
running at or close to 100% for a few seconds when I click on any of the
links on the left below the 'search' box, and scrolling is horribly slow.
Changing 'focus' back to Opera after bringing a different program to the
'foreground' also makes Opera take a long time to re-draw the content.

A less powerful PC than this one would probably struggle to do anything on
that site. The pages don't 'validate' well.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Whiskers wrote:

> A less powerful PC than this one would probably struggle to do anything on
> that site.

Mine's a 3.2 GHz on a 7Mbps cable connection, so there's not much lag.
But you do have that right. The main page at shrm.org is just over a
half-megabyte. <lol!> Most surfers would give up and go for lunch.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

Global Statistics
Total HTTP Requests: 69
Total Size: 500740 bytes