Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Setting Up Home LAN Network

Help Setting Up Home LAN Network

esieens@chez.com

Hello All,

I am trying right now to setup my LAN network at home.

Here is my setup:

Hardware:-
INTERNET ---> WAN || Zyxel P660R || LAN ---> WAN || DGL-4300 ||
LAN ---> Home Computer

How should I setup my Zyxel (Modem/Router) and DGL-4300 (WLAN Router)
in terms of IP ranges? Should they be on diffferent IP ranges? Am I
right to connect the P660R to the WAN entry of the WLAN router?

I have a web server so i need to be able to forward traffic from my ISP
IP to a specifc server on my LAN, i.e. passing through the P660R and
the DGL-4300.

Basically i would like to us the P660R as a modem only - all the
traffic being passed directly to my WLAN router for proper routing.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks.

why?

On 25 Aug 2006 04:09:51 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am trying right now to setup my LAN network at home.

From a Plato post of 23 Aug 2006
Networking - General
http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04

Networking - NT/XP Specific
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...d/default.mspx

>Here is my setup:
>
>Hardware:-
>INTERNET ---> WAN || Zyxel P660R || LAN ---> WAN || DGL-4300 ||
>LAN ---> Home Computer

2 routers, is the start of your problem.

It's assumed the DGL-4300 is there -
a) to confuse you
b) confuse everyone else
c) no good reason
d) to make any answer harder
e) wireless

>How should I setup my Zyxel (Modem/Router) and DGL-4300 (WLAN Router)
>in terms of IP ranges? Should they be on diffferent IP ranges? Am I

Don't know that kit, but SOHO routers don't usually have very clever
bits. Generally if you connect 2 routers (IP range A and IP range B)
together you, as the most simple method run a routing protocol. So each
router says my network A/B is here and you go out this interface to
reach A/B.

If you simply are adding wireless to an existing router, you would get
something like a wireless access point and plug it in. a WAP gets a DHCP
IP address from the Zyxel as a PC would. It's simply a wireless
extension to the Zyxel. A wireless PC then gets it's settings passed
through from the Zyxel. This means all devices are on the same IP range,
no problems.

With a 2nd router, change it from a router to a WAP it should be
possible. Read the manual.

The problem with a 2nd router is the Zyxel might be 192.168.0.x and the
DGL 192.168.2.x. This will work, I had a Netgear and a Belkin setup as
your diagram. IIRC Everything on the DGL (Belkin) could connect to the
Internet and each other, they couldn't connect PCs on the Zyxel (Netg).

Which for me was fine.

>right to connect the P660R to the WAN entry of the WLAN router?

Yes
Internet -> WAN P660R.
LAN port on P660R -> WAN DGL.

>I have a web server so i need to be able to forward traffic from my ISP
>IP to a specifc server on my LAN, i.e. passing through the P660R and

So connect the webserver to a port on the P660R. If it doesn't have more
than 1 port, buy a 4 port switch.

P660R LAN -> Switch (uplink port usually auto detects or crossover
cable)
Switch(1) -> Server
Switch(2) -> DGL

Remember to set the server to use a static IP address.

Check www.portforward.com

>the DGL-4300.

Why pass through both? See a b c d above.

>Basically i would like to us the P660R as a modem only - all the
>traffic being passed directly to my WLAN router for proper routing.

If you know what proper routing is why the question?

>Hope it makes sense.

Not really.

>Thanks.

Me

Flyer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying right now to setup my LAN network at home.
>
> Here is my setup:
>
> Hardware:-
> INTERNET ---> WAN || Zyxel P660R || LAN ---> WAN || DGL-4300 ||
> LAN ---> Home Computer
>
> How should I setup my Zyxel (Modem/Router) and DGL-4300 (WLAN Router)
> in terms of IP ranges? Should they be on diffferent IP ranges? Am I
> right to connect the P660R to the WAN entry of the WLAN router?
>
> I have a web server so i need to be able to forward traffic from my ISP
> IP to a specifc server on my LAN, i.e. passing through the P660R and
> the DGL-4300.
>
> Basically i would like to us the P660R as a modem only - all the
> traffic being passed directly to my WLAN router for proper routing.

it would be simpler to let The Zyxel handle all routing, connect the
Wireless router LAN to Zyxel LAN, turn OFF the dhcp server in the Wireless
router, thereby just using is an access point..Wireless PC's will then get
their IP addresses from the Zyxel via the Wireless router.

P.

esieens@chez.com

Thanks All for your responses.

The thing is that I was hoping to be able to do the opposite of the
last suggestion, ie.e. use my Zyxel as a gateway and the wireless
router as the DHCP/router.

Would that be possible?

Flyer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks All for your responses.
>
> The thing is that I was hoping to be able to do the opposite of the
> last suggestion, ie.e. use my Zyxel as a gateway and the wireless
> router as the DHCP/router.
>
> Would that be possible?

the wireless DHCP will serve it's own address as the default gateway to the
pc's on the lan, so unless you can turn of the routing function in the
Zyxel, ie put it in "bridge" mode, you'd have to setup differing subnets for
each router, it can be done, just don't see the need to complicate matters

P.

why?

On 25 Aug 2006 12:34:24 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks All for your responses.
>
>The thing is that I was hoping to be able to do the opposite of the
>last suggestion, ie.e. use my Zyxel as a gateway and the wireless
>router as the DHCP/router.

Why?

>Would that be possible?

Depends on feature set of the routers. You would need to set the P660R
into bridge mode most likely, then enable a routing protocol like RIP
(guessing these don't do anything really fancy) and enable RIP in the
DGL so it knows about the P660R. Then disable DHCP any other things you
don't need like NAT , single user.

You could try providing links to the download manuals for the routers.

Me

esieens@chez.com

Why...

Basically because first i just wanted a simple solution and bought the
DGL-4300 but found out that it does not support PPPoA so then I bought
the P660R-61C a simple router one LAN port to get my ISP connection and
just wanted to use it as a adsl modem. I thought I would have just to
plug it to the WAN port of my DGL-4300 et voila! Guess i got that
wrong!

The DGL-4300 offers some functionality such as Mac Address control that
the zyxel I believe does not offer and that's why i would rather have
my DHCP server on the DGL.

Manuals:
Zyxel:
http://us.zyxel.com/web/download/200...2004-11-15.pdf
DGL:
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4300/...l_06292005.zip

Once again many thanks for all your help.

Flyer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Why...
>
> Basically because first i just wanted a simple solution and bought the
> DGL-4300 but found out that it does not support PPPoA so then I bought
> the P660R-61C a simple router one LAN port to get my ISP connection and
> just wanted to use it as a adsl modem. I thought I would have just to
> plug it to the WAN port of my DGL-4300 et voila! Guess i got that
> wrong!
>
> The DGL-4300 offers some functionality such as Mac Address control that
> the zyxel I believe does not offer and that's why i would rather have
> my DHCP server on the DGL.

MAC addressing can easily be spoofed by any half decent hacker, do not rely
on it for security. A good WPA key is much better. I had a similar setup to
what you're thinking of, with a wireless router used as a WAP, and I could
still use MAC filtering to restrict access to the network. DHCP was served
by a different router.

P.

esieens@chez.com

Sorry I meant DHCP reservation , i.e. being able to set a specific IP
for a specific MAC address. The DGL-4300 can do it but I don't think
the Zyxel can.

why?

On 26 Aug 2006 03:32:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Sorry I meant DHCP reservation , i.e. being able to set a specific IP
>for a specific MAC address. The DGL-4300 can do it but I don't think
>the Zyxel can.

Please quote some of the message you refer to, otherwise you appear to
be talking to yourself out of context.

Me