Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting IDE

Connecting IDE

Alasdair

Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.

Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

--
Alasdair.

Ingeborg

Alasdair wrote:

> Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
> to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
> computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
> female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
>
> Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
> already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
> 2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

The main difference between IDE and the 2.5" version is the integrated
power supply. The 2.5" version has 4 extra pins, containing +5V, +12V and
ground. There are adaptors available, with 'normal' IDE and a power
connector on one side, and '2.5"' IDE on the other.

Snp

"Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
> to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
> computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
> female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
>
> Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
> already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
> 2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Any Use?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...5&criteria=2.5

--
Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
Cut THE CR@P To Reply

Yddap

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> opined loudly:
> Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
> to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
> computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
> female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
>
> Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
> already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
> 2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

A Quick Google gave
http://www.mcsx.co.uk/shop/2-5-to-3-...dapter-kit.htm

As an instance
--
Yddap

why?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:49:28 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

>Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy an IDE cable to enable me
>to connect a 2.5 inch HDD to a standard IDE connection on a desktop
>computer. What I need is male for connecting to the desktop with
>female at the other end for connecting to a 2.5 inch drive.
>
>Please don't suggest I use a USB caddy for the 2.5 inch drive. I
>already have one and tried it but the desktop doesn't recognise the
>2.5 inch drive connected either by firewire or USB.

It wouldn't be the 2.5" Laptop HDD 44pin adapter to 3.5" 40pin + power
that you are thinking of

http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.n...tode3hadr.html
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=906&sku=17705
http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPa...sp?ModNo=28724